Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Viper S400 and notice like my R10 I had the arrows stick out farther than I like so I was going to cut them down to 19" to get broadhead clearance. anyone else down that yet and how did it shoot?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the same XB and arrow combo, but I have yet to even cock mine, let alone shoot it. I'm still waiting on my Marksman scope to show up. What BH's you using? I see that it appears some heads are longer than others and I guess that plays a factor. Not sure how I will feel about it if my choice of heads hangs over by an inch or so. I will take it as it comes, then go from there. I'm interested to hear if others have done what your thinking of doing, and how/if it made any difference in shootability.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I experimented with shortening the EVO-X arrows on my Nitro X setup to see if it affected flight and improved speed. There was enough arrow shaft length I could have taken off 1.75" but I decided 1.5" was enough. From a weight perspective, the arrow was 15.4 gn lighter (10.28 GPI).

Arrow speed was not affected but accuracy was. I was shooting 100 gn field points at that time and if I had planned better, I would have checked FOC and tested with 125 gn tips if FOC was the issue. The end result were 3 arrows that would not fly well out of the Nitro but shot fine out of my 355 fps Spectre.

The lesson here would be to measure FOC prior to changing arrow length and build that FOC back into the shorter arrow with a heavier insert or heavier point (field point and broadhead). Going from 100 gn tips to 125s seems the easiest step to take.

If I were to do it again, I would validate that FOC was the issue. If it was, I'd take off 1.75" and shoot 125 gn tips.

Let us know if you decide to go shorter and good luck!.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have cut three off 1" and I have shot it about 12 times with those arrows with 100 gr tips- so far she shoots fine and just far enough back to give room for broadheads. Will post more after I shoot some more. I will shoot groups with the factory 20" and then the ones I cut.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have shot it several more times and compared it to the 20" ones and I cannot tell any difference. in accuracy Point of impact about an inch low and left on the 20" ones.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I have shot it several more times and compared it to the 20" ones and I cannot tell any difference. in accuracy Point of impact about an inch low and left on the 20" ones.
If a -10.28 gn change (20" to 19") made a 1" POI change at 20 yards then the arrow flight was impacted. It may very well hit that same spot each shot but it should have hit higher vs lower with a weight drop, right?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a -10.28 gn change (20" to 19") made a 1" POI change at 20 yards then the arrow flight was impacted. It may very well hit that same spot each shot but it should have hit higher vs lower with a weight drop, right?
That was at 40yds not 20- and the shorter arrows flew higher. weight now on the shorter ones is 435grs
At 20 you can' really tell a difference

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't understand why 20" arrows would open up that much more than the 19" arrows? I too have the Viper and considered possibly cutting them down just because, I don't like to see much arrow hanging out past my rail end. I always shoot 125 Grain broad heads for various reasons. Just surprised that 1" cut off made that much difference. If I knew this was a little more refined testing, I'd cut mine down in a heart beat. PLEASE don't think I'm questioning you, just trying to learn as most of us are. Too hot for me to get out and play with mine yet - Maryland, 90+ degs. & 90% humidity!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I don't understand why 20" arrows would open up that much more than the 19" arrows? I too have the Viper and considered possibly cutting them down just because, I don't like to see much arrow hanging out past my rail end. I always shoot 125 Grain broad heads for various reasons. Just surprised that 1" cut off made that much difference. If I knew this was a little more refined testing, I'd cut mine down in a heart beat. PLEASE don't think I'm questioning you, just trying to learn as most of us are. Too hot for me to get out and play with mine yet - Maryland, 90+ degs. & 90% humidity!
Re-read the post CBH. The uncut 20" arrows had the spread group (right group) and the tight ground on the left are the 19".

·
Registered
495 Posts
WAIT! That's what I said. I wondered why the group on the right, 20" were that much wider group than the 19" group on the left? I apologized before looking back. Anyway, I know what I got out of this so, I'm good.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
WAIT! That's what I said. I wondered why the group on the right, 20" were that much wider group than the 19" group on the left? I apologized before looking back. Anyway, I know what I got out of this so, I'm good.
Don;t know why they would and it could be my shooting- but from the groups I shot the shorter ones definitely did not fly worse. As soon as it cools down I'm going to do some extended bench shooting. I really like shooting this thing- it's a shooter and fun to shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts