Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New to the forums and to the crossbow world. I have hunted with a compound for the last 25 years, and my shoulder is wearing out on me. I just bought a viper S400 which is my first crossbow ever.

so excited to enter into this new phase of hunting. The bow I ordered comes with 3 EVO-X CenterPunch arrows with 100 Gr practice tips. I have hunted with 125 grain magnus stingers for ever and love the broad heads.
My question is does the practice tips that the bolts come with use the same inserts that regular arrows have, so I can use the 125 grain field tips that I already have from my regular arrows?
Also in all my research I did, I think Ten Point recommends using the alpha nocks in their crossbows. Am I correct in that. Sorry for the long post, but just trying to get ready for the arrival of my new bow on Monday. Thanks in advance everyone. John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Inserts are standardized and will accept any fieldpoints, but make sure you use fieldpoints that are 11/32". You want the fieldpoint diameter to be the same as the shaft diameter. I prefer the bullet point style of fieldpoint. Alpha nocks are the way to go. The newer TenPoints require their use or the warranty is void. I used to use 125 Stingers also, don't assume they will shoot out of your crossbow, they didn't work with my Viper. I use NAP 125 gr. SlingBlades. They shoot identical to my fieldpoints out to 60 yards, which is as far as I have tested them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inserts are standardized and will accept any fieldpoints, but make sure you use fieldpoints that are 11/32". You want the fieldpoint diameter to be the same as the shaft diameter. I prefer the bullet point style of fieldpoint. Alpha nocks are the way to go. The newer TenPoints require their use or the warranty is void. I used to use 125 Stingers also, don't assume they will shoot out of your crossbow, they didn't work with my Viper. I use NAP 125 gr. SlingBlades. They shoot identical to my fieldpoints out to 60 yards, which is as far as I have tested them.
Thanks for the fast reply scienceguy. I’ve never used a mechanical broadhead before. Have you had any problems with them not deploying on impact?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you guys had any problems finding your arrow after a pass through using non lighted nocks?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Have you guys had any problems finding your arrow after a pass through using non lighted nocks?
Yes. The lighted nock will only help if the nock is exposed which very often gets fully buried. I say you recover about 70% of arrows with lighted nocks. It helps with following the shot too.

Reactions: jadssh

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Yes. The lighted nock will only help if the nock is exposed which very often gets fully buried. I say you recover about 70% of arrows with lighted nocks. It helps with following the shot too.
You must be shooting into some very soft ground. In over 50 years of bow hunting I have only had one arrow bury up that bad but I still saw the tip of the nock in the hole it made because it was red. Had it been lighted I would have seen it immediately by the faint glow. It took me 10 to 15 minutes to find it even though I knew within a foot or so of where it had to be. Only reason it went that deep was it hit a rotted out stump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the information. I guess it won’t hurt to have a couple luminating nocks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply scienceguy. I’ve never used a mechanical broadhead before. Have you had any problems with them not deploying on impact?
The design of the SlingBlade prevents them from opeining early. No bands or retainer ring needed. Spitfires also shot well for me, but I used dental bands on the blades "just in case" one blade or more would open by accidental contact or in flight. TenPoint recommends their own SlingBlade version. Last time I checked, you could get 125 SlingBlades on Amazon for $22. They are tough heads, fly like fieldpoints, reliably open, and do significant terminal cutting and produce great blood trails with solid hits.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
You must be shooting into some very soft ground. In over 50 years of bow hunting I have only had one arrow bury up that bad but I still saw the tip of the nock in the hole it made because it was red. Had it been lighted I would have seen it immediately by the faint glow. It took me 10 to 15 minutes to find it even though I knew within a foot or so of where it had to be. Only reason it went that deep was it hit a rotted out stump.
Soft ground and a little ground cover and it's gone. I once lost a discharge bolt shooting it into the ground and I knew exactly where I shot it.

Reactions: jadssh

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
No

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
On finding arrows, I use lighted knocks and have had trouble and lost one on a turkey. I have 3 stands and one blind on my property and the only time it can be a problem is from the blind due to the shallow angle. This year I have killed two from the blind, both in the evening. Both I could not find the arrows straight up and went home to cut up the deer and come back at night. As I was driving the tractor out on the first one I saw it glowing in the woods about 150 yards from the shot, must have skipped and was laying in the leaves as bright as day. Awesome. The second my wife and daughter went out to look and grab my gear, they came back empty. I decided to give it a go after I unloaded the carcass. I drove to about the correct angle and under the grass a faint glow...as I got closer I knew it was it...happy. The stands the arrow is usually stuck in the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts