Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented on another thread and felt like I has hijacking, so re-posting here.

I bought some EVO-X Centerpunch 20" arrows probably 60-75 days ago. When I rec'd them I weighed them and came up with 452 gr w/100 gr field point. That's heavier than what the specs say by about 7 gr. I thought it might be a heavier insert, but when I checked FOC it was around 15% vs 17% on the specs from Ten Point. Plastic nock with no light stick installed.
Not a big earth shattering deal, but was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this ....OR am I missing something? I"m curious that way...

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I see 454/455 with the Alpha-Bright nock setup. I've been shooting them since they came out and there is some weight variance between their arrow groups of six. I pay more attention to the difference between each arrow, which has been very close. I have not measured FOC but I use a 125 gn head which increases that value.

So, how do they fly?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I noticed the same thing you did my arrows weighed right around 450 plastic nock and no light stick. I came up with the same FOC percentages that you did.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see 454/455 with the Alpha-Bright nock setup. I've been shooting them since they came out and there is some weight variance between their arrow groups of six. I pay more attention to the difference between each arrow, which has been very close. I have not measured FOC but I use a 125 gn head which increases that value.

So, how do they fly?
I see the same thing - arrow to arrow is very close. They shoot really well with field points. I was gifted some Bishop Holy Trinity 150 gr broadheads, so I've been shooting 150 gr FP's. This week I'm going to see how those broadheads fly. 150 gr puts my FOC around 19% with total arrow at 502 gr. I didn't keep good notes on the 100 gr points, and I had changed out scopes since, so don't really have a good idea of the difference between 100 & 150 gr.
I'll be shooting a bunch this week, so looking forward to seeing my results with this set up.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I see the same thing - arrow to arrow is very close. They shoot really well with field points. I was gifted some Bishop Holy Trinity 150 gr broadheads, so I've been shooting 150 gr FP's. This week I'm going to see how those broadheads fly. 150 gr puts my FOC around 19% with total arrow at 502 gr. I didn't keep good notes on the 100 gr points, and I had changed out scopes since, so don't really have a good idea of the difference between 100 & 150 gr.
I'll be shooting a bunch this week, so looking forward to seeing my results with this set up.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the 150 gn field points fly really well. I'll also venture a guess on the BHT 150s.... If they are not vented they won't not fly like the 150 gn field point but probably will hit the same POI. Just another step in the zeroing process to adjust for them. Keep us posted.

Reactions: dynamo61 and bofos

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
150's flying really well at 50 yds... Zero'd there.. Walked up to 20 and made some speed adjustments.
Was running out of time (daylight) but shot the BHT's along side of field points and POI was the same @ 20 yards. I suspect that as yardage increases I'll have to make adjustments because of drag on the BHT's.
My Evo-x with 150 gr points are approximately 100 gr heavier than the original arrows that came with my Sniper 370. So my speed adjustment should be to around 335 fps. Any thoughts one way or another on my calculations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
150's flying really well at 50 yds... Zero'd there.. Walked up to 20 and made some speed adjustments.
Was running out of time (daylight) but shot the BHT's along side of field points and POI was the same @ 20 yards. I suspect that as yardage increases I'll have to make adjustments because of drag on the BHT's.
My Evo-x with 150 gr points are approximately 100 gr heavier than the original arrows that came with my Sniper 370. So my speed adjustment should be to around 335 fps. Any thoughts one way or another on my calculations?

I think your close.

EVO-X arrows are 445 with 100 gn tips, add 50 and your at 495. Math works out to be is somewhere in the 320s. 495-370=125 and divide that by 10 is 12.5 and that times 3 is 37.5. 365-37.5=327ish, 360-37.5=322ish, 355-37.5=317ish. My Snipers typically were shooting about 360 with factory 370 gn arrows.

Reactions: bofos and dynamo61

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rich
Well...I guess if I want to be more precise I just need to go out to my buddy's shop and shoot through the chrono. I weighed the factory arrows in at 400 with 100gr FP....and was being generous on the advertised speed on the sniper. Also, my EVO-x's weigh 452 gr w/100 gr point out of the box. That puts me at 502 w/ the 150's so I'm probably shooting a little slower still.
I'm enjoying this exercise. Now I'm thinking about splitting the difference @ 125 gr points and see how they do..... I'm apparently slipping into the dreaded rabbit hole and haven't even drawn blood with this Xbow yet. :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mine weighed in at 454 Gr with 100 Gr TruGlo Ti X 4 blades and lighted Alpha nock. The slight variances in weight I experienced seemed to actually come from the light sticks, believe it or not. Weighed 3 light sticks and got 3 different weights. All 3 nocks weighed in at 5.8 Gr however.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have light sticks but haven't installed them yet. Haven't weighed them either.. I think there was a post on here a few months ago that said the light sticks weighed around 5.5 gr... Does that jibe with your weight on the light sticks?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm using 150 gr heads in mine too,

Reactions: bofos

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Thanks Rich
Well...I guess if I want to be more precise I just need to go out to my buddy's shop and shoot through the chrono. I weighed the factory arrows in at 400 with 100gr FP....and was being generous on the advertised speed on the sniper. Also, my EVO-x's weigh 452 gr w/100 gr point out of the box. That puts me at 502 w/ the 150's so I'm probably shooting a little slower still.
I'm enjoying this exercise. Now I'm thinking about splitting the difference @ 125 gr points and see how they do..... I'm apparently slipping into the dreaded rabbit hole and haven't even drawn blood with this Xbow yet. :p
That's a great idea. No guessing there. From a speed estimation POV, remember that the Sniper's "up to" 370 fps rating was done in 2015 based on a 370 gn arrow. The current 400 gn arrow I feel is Centerpoints attempt in providing a better quality shaft for their Sniper package and one that will work with all of their ManKung built bows, which I feel they did successfully. The older 370 gn arrows were not very accurate.

In the past, I never felt a heavier tip was a value point until I started shooting longer distances and concentrating on pin point accuracy. I believe the added FOC in many cases improves that. 125s on the CP factory 400 gn arrows will shoot very well to 70 yards. A second value point of the 125s for me was matching the weight of the big 4 blade broadhead I shoot so I've been shooting the EVO-Xs with 125s now for a little over a year. That's a 480 gn combo with the Alpha bright LED sticks and it's a combo and weight I like.

Reactions: dynamo61 and bofos

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... Finally made it to my buddy's bow shop to shoot through chrono. Shot between 321-324 consistently. That's where I had the speed setting on the Ravin take off scope, so all my notes since scope install and new Evo-x arrows make sense. 50 is dead on recticle ... 20 is dead on as well. Field point and BHT broadhead both same POI.
I still need to shoot out to 70 to see how much drag the BHT's have at distance. I'm guessing that's where the significant difference in POI will be.... Not too worried. I probably won't shoot past 35..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts