Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what your arrow weight is and your best speed thru the chrono on any Excal 225#. I am shooting 433gr @ 299fps from my Exomax.
Thanks, Joe

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I sold my Emax awhile back. I got right at 350 fps w/ stock [circa 2005] Excal GT's [about 357 gr] and a FFF string. Kinda a loud nasty combo, imho, so I settled on same arrows w/ brass inserts for about 432 gr [w/ 100 gr bh's] I was getting about 330 fps w/ a FFF string. I then tried a custom string or two from "Boo", flemish twist Excel w/ served on whiskers, alot quieter, and it only cost me 8-9 fps. The last deer I shot w/ this setup was at 35 yds, the arrow went thru and buried the b-head in a pine tree another 30 yds or so behind the deer. The Emax was hard on servings, hard on my back to cock, but a fast tack driver, lol.

·
224 Posts
Last deer that got a chrono reading on it as it went through it's chest cavity
was sucking wind and couldn't get the breath up to tell me what it was :banghead:

Seriously...I'd like to figure it out and tell you but don't I don't have access to one.

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awshucks said:
I sold my Emax awhile back. I got right at 350 fps w/ stock [circa 2005] Excal GT's [about 357 gr] and a FFF string. Kinda a loud nasty combo, imho, so I settled on same arrows w/ brass inserts for about 432 gr [w/ 100 gr bh's] I was getting about 330 fps w/ a FFF string. I then tried a custom string or two from "Boo", flemish twist Excel w/ served on whiskers, alot quieter, and it only cost me 8-9 fps. The last deer I shot w/ this setup was at 35 yds, the arrow went thru and buried the b-head in a pine tree another 30 yds or so behind the deer. The Emax was hard on servings, hard on my back to cock, but a fast tack driver, lol.
This one still does a job on hogs...knocks'm over most don't travel 30yrds...
I am taking it Bear hunting this upcoming season here in California

·
281 Posts
Targethogs...where do you guide at...I live in Santa Maria?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Is there such a thing as too dead? I'm getting passthroughs on deer with both my Phoenix and Vortex. Frnkly, I don't care much for pulling arrows out of pine trees ... or cocking the 225 lb bows.

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cossack said:
Is there such a thing as too dead? I'm getting passthroughs on deer with both my Phoenix and Vortex. Frnkly, I don't care much for pulling arrows out of pine trees ... or cocking the 225 lb bows.
My next one will be lighter for sure...but I don't mind the cocking part though....
I pretty much use my on hogs and bear and that little bit of extra KE I don't mind having around either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really enjoy my Exomax but I do shoot more than most folks. I see a crankaroo in my near future. I was getting 352 FPS with GT LASER 2's and 100 grain Thunderheads. I recently switched to Easton Firebolts and Muzzy 145 grain heads. Havent shot it through a chrony yet but Im getting much better grouping.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
It may be the 'head, Chris. I had a real problem with Thunders planing when using unweighted arrow with big vanes. The one I was tested would shoot consistently but the next one would go off in an unpredictable direction. Cost me two bucks before the light came on. Crossbow arrows have relatively low ballistic coefficient because they are shorter, so broadheads tend to steer them more. The solution is a higher FOC (more weight toward tip, Google FOC), low profile heads and small venes. I'm getting GRET accuracy with GT Lazer II's, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" Blazer vanes and Slick Trick Mags. (Realtively short and four bladed). I'm using 100 gr heads in my Phoenix and Vortex, 125's in the Cyclone. Their FOC is 18 and 20% respectively. BTW, the flew well from the Equinox too.
PS The small vanes are much less affected by crosswind. Recent test showed me as much as
3'' more wind deflection (15 mpi wind, 45 degrees, at 30 yards) with 4" vanes compared to 2''rs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts