Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Excalibur Mag 340, Oracle X, Boo string
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject came up over in the marketplace, but I'd thought I'd bring it over to here to see what y'all think about it.

I was looking on the Excalibur website and noticed that they now have two different stringing aids available, one for their standard single crossbows, and one for the dual fire crossbows. And the one for the dual fire crossbows appears to be nothing more than a glorified large looped bow string.

When I first discovered Flemish twist bow strings I thought it'd be fun to practice making one. Since I had some b50 bowstring material and some braided center serving, I decided to give it a go. I twisted up a slightly oversized heavy Flemish twist string. My first effort wasn't exactly as pretty as I hoped it would be, but it really wasn't too bad. And it honestly worked just fine as a stringing aid. And is what I used to pull off the factory string and put on my first Boo made Flemish string. If anybody's got a reason why I shouldn't be doing this, I'd sure be interested in hearing. But if it's good enough for Excalibur it's good enough for me! 馃槈

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
Beats me....I took my old stringing aide with the hard plastic sleeve on it, pulled that sleeve off, and then simply put an extra long "serving" on the stringing aide. Works great for me.
The original stringing aide may be thicker than the bow string you made, and that may be the only difference. If it works.....I say use it!(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to me if a regular bow string can take the repetitive shock of being fired, a similarly sized one could certainly handle the force required to enable replacing strings.

Registered
Seems to me if a regular bow string can take the repetitive shock of being fired, a similarly sized one could certainly handle the force required to enable replacing strings.
Just remember the thing needs to be longer than a regular bow string so you can get it over the limbs, so you can get the old one off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep! It is. I've used it to change strings.

By the way, where approximately in East Texas are you? I am visiting at my daughter's place in Longview.

Reactions: AJ01

Registered
Maybe it's best to get an Excalibur stringing aid though, it's safe as well as cheap and practical. The following points must be taken into account: If DIY stringing aid. If damage happens, surely the warranty doesn't cover anything?. If the warranty is no longer valid, at least it makes you feel bad that you saved money on the wrong thing...馃

Registered
Maybe it's best to get an Excalibur stringing aid though, it's safe as well as cheap and practical. The following points must be taken into account: If DIY stringing aid. If damage happens, surely the warranty doesn't cover anything?. If the warranty is no longer valid, at least it makes you feel bad that you saved money on the wrong thing...馃
In reality if you damage the limbs the warranty will cover them. I have had two sets of limbs replaced on my Excals over the years and was never asked how the damage happened. On one set I bought the crossbow used and told them I did and they replaced the limbs anyway.

Registered
Upload the video to the thread so that everyone knows that you can make it yourself and you don't have to buy Excalibur as an accessory. It sounds kind of funny that a company that sells a product would advise the customer to make it themselves... My point is that it is worth considering the whole thing when the cost is not great 馃

Registered
The first excalibur I bought I made my own stringing aid with one inch nylon strap, a couple of grommets and some nylon cord. Works as designed; I keep that one in my pack. I'm not a big fan of those big plastic stirrups on the one's you buy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About 20 miles southwest of Longview!
Just curious. Not trying to invade your space. Got to head back to Missouri tomorrow anyway. Delivered my previous Ravin R10 to it's new owner in Lufkin while I was here. I'm loving this Micro Mag 340. I hope you all get some rain and a cool down pretty soon!

Registered
You can make it with the instructions (not an official Excalibur video) if the budget is not enough for the original purchase or you don't want to spend money on it, but you can also DIY the crossbow yourself as there are many instructions on You Tube. In that case, the money will also be saved for a better need, when you have to pay for anything other than building materials. To me, time is much more valuable than purchasing an Excalibur stringing aid. In addition, I can mention that I prefer it as a choice from my point of view. I wish you happy construction moments and a good weekend
Chin Hat Sun hat Cool Fedora

Registered
Just curious. Not trying to invade your space. Got to head back to Missouri tomorrow anyway. Delivered my previous Ravin R10 to it's new owner in Lufkin while I was here. I'm loving this Micro Mag 340. I hope you all get some rain and a cool down pretty soon!
Nope...not a problem. I'm tied up waiting on someone to come pick something up this afternoon. BUT..if you're still around after church tomorrow....
I teach Sunday school (Adult Class), and I don't think they'll let me play hookie!!馃ぃ

Reactions: Dirt fahmah

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep! When I get back home tonight I'll post a picture

Reactions: wheelsquad

Registered
It is functional for sure, you could also lift it up with any durable string! , but the original is the best, however, e.g. You have many Excaliburs with different power strokes, so it is easy and quick to adjust, there is no need to have many different lengths of it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts