Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I said I wasnt going to do it but the tinkerer in me just got the better of me and I finally tore into my phoenix to see what the deal with the trigger was and was surprised to find that there was quite a bit of room in the design to do a little improvement

I didnt take the trigger assembly itself apart because of the sticker I found inther that states that doing so would void the warranty but form what I found there really wasnt any need to go that deep anyway...

I have quite a bit of experince doing mods to these kinds of triggers from my paintball days and from what I found there, unfortunately, isnt much that can be done as far as improving forward creep mainly because the safety requires the trigger to be as far forward as it will go to lock, however theres a world of wasted rearward travel after the trigger fires and only a fracton is need to trip the sear and to reset it during cocking, I come up with a very easy and simple way of eliminating that useless travel with a small travel limiting plate(I made mine out of plastic shim stock) and it works great, the stock travel was 9/16", with my mod its down to just a touch over 3/16", I found that it work well right at 3/16" but it was right on the edge and I wanted to give it a little play just to be safe... it doesnt do much as far as poundage and nothing for forward creep but overall travel stops right after the sear releases and it makes a major, major difference in how the bow fires, its a big improvement IMO...

I've also been testing the arrows I built(I mentioned them in a different post) and have been seeing some great results with those too, I've just been shooting the alumin ones for now(2213's and a couple test 2216's I put together) and actually wrecked one of my 2216's, I shot a group with my 2213's just to test the new trigger and didnt(and wont) do that again, those little yellow pieces on the target are parts of my feathers...

this is the group, it was shot 25 yards offhand with field points, hand cocked and its typical of the accuracy I've been getting even before the trigger mod, I'm going to move my table tomorrow(it WAS froze to the ground) and try shooting off a bench, with the trigger mod and the arrow accuracy I've been getting so far I'm pretty interested in what its going to do off a bench...

then its broadheads...

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
I might be wrong

I Dont think that where the yellow feathered arrows are hitting would be a drop in there tracks shot.lol:)

Good job on the trigger!

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL yeah I know, its actually reverse psychology, aim for the chest, hit 'em in the ass, aim for the ass hit 'em in the chest, we'll see how it works...

they say an ass shot is a good shot anyway, dont they?

actually, that target is as old as dirt and I can almost see through the whole chest/vital zone area, so I have to shoot in the areas that are still capable of stopping an arrow, and I didnt want to drag my other target out of the shed

·
11,412 Posts
KLS

So you basically got rid of trigger over travel from the point of firing but any trigger creep or drag prior to firing is still there?

·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moonkryket said:
So you basically got rid of trigger over travel from the point of firing but any trigger creep or drag prior to firing is still there?

yeah thats all it does, but it does make a big improvement... because of the way the safety operates theres really no way to improve the forward travel(or drag) without opening up the trigger case and modifying the internal parts(which you already know), and from what it states thats voids the warranty

this is the only crossbow I have right now and I didnt really want to experiment on it too indepth, or void the warranty even, so I didnt open the trigger case, I will eventually though, hopefully on a different crossbow that I can modify, test, and rework things without fear of screwing up my main hunting bow, or at least have an extra bow if I do screw something up, like I said before I've done some pretty extreme modifications to paintball guns triggers(and a few guns), and taken them right to the limit of performance, from what I see these crossbow triggers arent much different in basic design, the only difference(and the main factor) with a crossbow is how far you can take it and still remain safe, having a hair trigger means little if the sear slips and it misfires with the slightest jolt...

its also beyond alot guys' ability, or want, to rebuild a trigger like this to its fullest potential, the mod I did is very simple and perfectly safe, all it does is eliminate all the unneeded and unused rear over-travel(which there is alot of...), and it doesnt require any more modification of anything other than to take out three screws, two of which hold the stock to the rail, you dont have to remove anything internally or any parts other than to seperate the stock/rail and one other screw, and then manufacture the plate itself, which is simple(easer yet with plastic shim stock and a dremel), its something any average guy can do in about an hour(or less) and the longest part of the operation is fine tuning the release point, which can take a little time messing around

1 - 6 of 6 Posts