Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always thought Excalibur recurve crossbows were, and still are, the most logical first hunting crossbow choice, Add to that the ever intensifying race for faster crossbow speeds, resulting in increased maintenance expertise demands. I think an ideal choice to minimize those demands and levels of frustration for those new to crossbows is a 300 to 350 FPS Excalibur recurve.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm very happy with my matrix 350, It's fast enough for me and the simplicity is what I like. I keep an extra set of limbs and a few extra strings and I can fix about anything that might happen to it in short order. shot completely through a buck quartering towards me last year at 40 yds from a ground blind, I'd guess maybe 22-24 inches of penetration. I just have confidence in it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Recurve Simple...gotta love it..
I always seem to buy a compound crossbow or two...then end up selling later and sticking to the basics!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve always thought Excalibur recurve crossbows were, and still are, the most logical first hunting crossbow choice, Add to that the ever intensifying race for faster crossbow speeds, resulting in increased maintenance expertise demands. I think an ideal choice to minimize those demands and levels of frustration for those new to crossbows is a 300 to 350 FPS Excalibur recurve. View attachment 184498
A sexy Gen1 Micro, nice!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I think (by what I have seen over the last 2 years) I would be more inclined to recommend a specific excal model, rather than speed. Excal's 270#+ limbs are giving up every day on someone new on all the facebook pages. Jens 335 gave up the left limb just yesterday with a 500 grain arrow, which she used since day one.
Better an axiom or other model from the same era IMO.
Todays bows are like buying a scratch off ticket. You never know if the one you are buying is a winner or a loser until you use it. Having a warranty isn't worth much when they send you the same limbs that broke in the first place :(
I used to believe the problem was (in total) due to dry firing, with the ridiculously light arrows provided with these bows but many people have gone well over minimums and still have limbs breaking. Even some of the Matrix models, which used to be the one model you could depend on.

Beautiful bows and functional perfect for hunting and those who dont want to wrench but I cant put any faith in this manufacturer anymore. No wonder the president stepped down this year. :(

·
1,709 Posts
:rolleyes:

Reactions: curious

·
9,022 Posts
I’ve always thought Excalibur recurve crossbows were, and still are, the most logical first hunting crossbow choice, Add to that the ever intensifying race for faster crossbow speeds, resulting in increased maintenance expertise demands. I think an ideal choice to minimize those demands and levels of frustration for those new to crossbows is a 300 to 350 FPS Excalibur recurve.
I agree … sort of like a newbie pacifier ...lol :p

·
Registered
370 Posts
I’ve always thought Excalibur recurve crossbows were, and still are, the most logical first hunting crossbow choice, Add to that the ever intensifying race for faster crossbow speeds, resulting in increased maintenance expertise demands. I think an ideal choice to minimize those demands and levels of frustration for those new to crossbows is a 300 to 350 FPS Excalibur recurve. View attachment 184498
What model Excalibur is pictured?

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

·
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, barrel shortened 1.5”. Less than 300 FPS.

·
1,558 Posts
I started thinking id put a reflex 1x sight on a optimizer.Turned out at dusk i just didn't care for it. So i broke out the Ravin takeoff scope i had on it last year that has been setting on the table since. Put it on and never had to touch it. 20 to 50 yds dead on with a truglo titanium x 4 blade. The arrows down to the very last one were damaged or just didn't shoot out of the MXB 400's cut to 18" and retuned and fletched.

And there's zero doubt the first shot of the broadhead tipped arrow is going in the hole in the cardboard. Every time and every arrow. The curves do shoot with little fuss and the low pounders don't need their bellies rubbed all the time either LOL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Plains Indians lived and depended on horses way before the White man ever invaded their country!

Horse were brought to the new world by Spaniards in the 1500s

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I was looking at crossbows about 8 years ago, I almost bought a Matrix 380. Didn't like the reviews and bought a 355. I used that bow for 1 season, sold it and bought a Matrix 330, that bow has been a work horse for me for years now. Never had a problem with it yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts