Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Excalibur 440 and have now snapped 2 crank hooks that go on the string while cranking the string back. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or the hooks aren't designed for high poundage crossbows? It is pretty dangerous when this happens! There must be a better way? I would be curious if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone has a solution? Thanks for any advice!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,111 Posts
Yah, you talk about drama! I've had 2 or 3 hooks on Excalibur and Middleton bows break while cocking.
Terry Barnam (Munch) makes cocking hooks out of aluminum that will give you peace of mind about cocking. I bought several sets and they work great EXCEPT you need to put velcro felt or moleskin on the side that contacts your rail to prevent abrading.
I think you can contact him at [email protected] or ask around on the forum and someone can connect you with him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a speedy response from Munch. It sounds like he no longer makes and sells hooks. If anyone else has any suggestions or any of Munch's metal hooks they would like to sell send me a message!
Thanks!

·
1,594 Posts
Did you break the new hooks or did your crank have the old ones? Some of the old ones did break. The new ones are beefier and are bridged at the top.
Over cocking could break the new ones. When you are disengaging the Charger, push down on the lever while you turn the crank handle to prevent over cocking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure I broke 2 of the newer hooks. For those with higher poundage crossbows I really think it would be wise to convert over to metal hooks! I'm sure someone is going to get seriously injured using plastic hooks and the company that makes the cranks may end up switching over to metal cranks or go out of business! They are that dangerous!

·
1,594 Posts
I’m using them in my 400 Suppressor and my 440 with no breakages. This is the first I’ve heard of the new hooks breaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts