Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love some advice. I am interested in one of these crossbows. I know the 420 td is on a larger platform. The 400 will be a little smaller. I’m wondering if the extra size is worth 20 FPS more. Does anyone have experience with these models? Thanks so much for the help.

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
973 Posts
I have no experience with the Assassin 420.
I have had my Assassin 400TD for 16 months. I love how the 400TD fits me like a glove (I'm 5' 8" tall). The Micro platform is narrow and short, and it feels like "The Carbine of crossbows"
As with all crossbows they are a work in progress.
They require a certain amount of maintenance, and a person needs to have a certain skill set in order to shoot crossbows.
The warrantee is fantastic (fast friendly service)
I have shot 1,500 arrows out of my 400TD, all above 450 grains
I have replaced...
1 set of limbs
1 scope
3 cocking ropes
9 re-servings
1 set of string bumpers (R.E,D.S.)
I love my 400TD and believe in the Micro platform.
I expect this Assassin 400TD will give me a lifetime of service.
(Of course, I'm 66 years young)

·
5,270 Posts
I don’t have experience with those models, but I think the main advantage of the Matrix size bows over the Micro is the lower draw weight, easier to rope cock for the same or better performance. With the Assassins, you are going to be cranking, so the biggest advantage is sort of moot.

·
5,270 Posts
I have read about more issues with the micro limbs. The matrix limbs will be under less stress...still producing a higher speed, at the cost of being 5" wider. I am 6'5" tall...so the larger size may not be a huge deal breaker for me.
At 6’5”, the 420 would work better in the event the crank system failed. I made a 400 hybrid (328#@13.5”) early in 2021. I could rope cock it. Wasn’t fun, but easier than the 348# hybrid Micro I recently put together. I’m 6’2”. The longer bow hits peak weight when my back is fully extending and less prone to a pull or strain. The Micro latches in when I’m still bent over, so it’s trickier and a bit more risk. I’m sure it shorter person may have the opposite experience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would love some advice. I am interested in one of these crossbows. I know the 420 td is on a larger platform. The 400 will be a little smaller. I’m wondering if the extra size is worth 20 FPS more. Does anyone have experience with these models? Thanks so much for the help.
I own the 420..Probably around 200 shots is all. Three deer and zero problems.. I say the size is not that much difference..420..!

·
Registered
E420TD + 458gr.
112 Posts
At 6’5”, the 420 would work better in the event the crank system failed. I made a 400 hybrid (328#@13.5”) early in 2021. I could rope cock it. Wasn’t fun, but easier than the 348# hybrid Micro I recently put together. I’m 6’2”. The longer bow hits peak weight when my back is fully extending and less prone to a pull or strain. The Micro latches in when I’m still bent over, so it’s trickier and a bit more risk. I’m sure it shorter person may have the opposite experience.
Yep -- I'm only 5'10" and I run out of "room" to pull up on my 420TD right about the moment it "clicks" -- it's doable, but I obviously prefer to use the crank system.

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
973 Posts
I have both models they are great ... I would also like to mention that the 420 TD raiser is also compatible with the 400 TD model! I will post pictures and information later to discuss better eg how 420 TD: limbs work in the 400 TD model etc .. Best regards to everyone: Tom
I would love to get a 420 riser for my 400 just for target shooting.
What Draw weight? What FPS? What arrows?
Thank you for answering the Question, Will it fit?
I bet it would last forever?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would love to get a 420 riser for my 400 just for target shooting.
What Draw weight? What FPS? What arrows?
Thank you for answering the Question, Will it fit?
I bet it would last forever?
I can’t say yet when, I haven’t shot yet but I would assume that shooting with a 450 grain arrow will probably work well. It's probably as durable as you said, because I think the same myself. i also think those 420 TD "Fat belly" newer generation GRT 2 limbs fit directly just by switching to a 400 TD Raiser? (they are not expensive) but you also need to replace the longer Matrix string at the same time! It becomes easily coking rope ready when needed. Nice that you are also interested in Br: Tom

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
973 Posts
I am assuming that by installing a 420 riser on a 400 stock and mainframe, it would:

A: lengthen the limb width.
B: shorten the power stroke.
C: Reduce the stored power.
D: Reduce the arrow velocity.
E: Increase accuracy.
F: Reduce trigger stress.
G: Require lighter arrows.
H: Increase string serving life.

·
5,270 Posts
I am assuming that by installing a 420 riser on a 400 stock and mainframe, it would:

A: lengthen the limb width.
B: shorten the power stroke.
C: Reduce the stored power.
D: Reduce the arrow velocity.
E: Increase accuracy.
F: Reduce trigger stress.
G: Require lighter arrows.
H: Increase string serving life.
I would say I agree with all except E. Might be more forgiving of arrows and spine, but hard to really say more accurate.

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
973 Posts
Could it be compared to, for example, the Assasin 360 model in performance, etc.?

But you are losing 3 3/4 inches of power stroke from that 290-pound draw.
This is only my opinion, but that's got to drop it down to a lot less than the 360 Assassin.
But that is what I am looking for.

Line Font Motor vehicle Terrestrial plant Slope

1 - 20 of 113 Posts