Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a love hate relationship with my Excalibur Axe 340 ,,,,,Thinking of going to a Bulldog 330 ,,,,Thoughts and experience of anyone useing them for club level 3D ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well let state first and foremost the Axe is a crazy good bow ,I can't say enough how much I like this bow ,,,,But it's had its share of concerns relating to limb splintering and offset limbs tension causing tillering and general erratic shoots ,,,,so did I buy a one off , or is this something I have to live with if I want to keep the Axe ,,,,,, Excalibur and the dealership I bought this from have been excellent ,,,,and I'm still sold on Excalibur products ,,,,,I just not sure if this is a bow I should continue to sink money into or is it time to consider the bulldog 330 as it's a more proven crossbow with full-length limbs and so less overall operating stress on components = more reliability ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bow troubles. I had a limb sliver on my Axe and got the limbs replaced under warranty. Sliver was 1/8 thick and an inch long. I cut the sliver off and shot the bow a lot while waiting for my replacements. The limbs stayed together and I kept them for spares along with buying a new backup set. Wish you luck with whatever you decide.
Oncebitten

·
Banned
360 Posts
Canuck... The long/light limbers are bulletproof!🤙

Anything over 10” p/s on the short/heavy limbs won’t last. 🤙

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No guys it's been one set of limbs and a riser combo ,,that was the fix for the off set limb tension , ( one limb became weaker then the other )
After that was replaced the bow was excellent untill recently I cocked the bow and watched as a splinter 1 inch by 1/4 just pop up on one limb and herd a slow splintering , so I discharged it with a arrow in the target and the arrow went 6 inch off target at 20 yards ,,,, That was the end of that day ,,,,,all this within the first 4 months of me owning it ,,, I've got to think about regards the future of the Axe , my alternative thinking was may be a 330 bulldog ,,,,or keep the Axe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Buying a extra set of limbs was my only thoughts regards keeping the axe , I've seen a few guys go this route, as for some my concerns so far have been others also ,,,,,,but really should I have to consider this on a bow that's only 4 months old ?

May be I've just been unlucky ,,,,,hence the post ,,,,feed back is what I'm looking for from fellow Axe and Bulldog 330 owners regards reliability ....

·
Banned
360 Posts
Had a Micro 355 with limb issues. Machined it down to a 315. Also have a set of spare limbs but doubt I’ll ever need them.🤙

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep in mind that Matrix limbs have the same splintering/tiller issues as the Micro series limbs, due to the fact that the limbs are ground into shape at the factory as soon as they are pulled from the molds. The grinder cuts through the longitudinal fibers increasing the likelihood that any given limb may someday begin to separate and splinter.

Once ya get a good set of limbs on either series crossbows they are nearly bulletproof... but sometimes getting a good reliable limb set can require quite a few attempts. So if I were you I would stick with the platform that ya like the most until ya get lucky.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Very true. I have owned 3 Excaliburs and had to replace 2 sets of limbs. Still have 2 of them and sold the 3rd to a friend last year. It has been about 7 years since I replaced a limb now.

·
4,680 Posts
I think the BD330, especially with a Boo trigger job or TT 1.5# or Boo reworked TT, would be about as good as it would get. We both know that as limb length increases, accuracy improves.

·
2,785 Posts
I think the BD330, especially with a Boo trigger job or TT 1.5# or Boo reworked TT, would be about as good as it would get. We both know that as limb length increases, accuracy improves.
Yes! And even if you do use a micro series bow, you don’t want to use short arrows for 3D, unless you love to refletch arrows. I’m using 20“ Bloodsports, and next year it may be 22”.

·
2,785 Posts
I don't think 20s fly or shoot any better than my hunting 18". Helps to avoid this though. Mine is the aluminum out the back of the target, and that was only at 330 fps. If the club puts out small or shot up targets, you will get this, unless you decide to just shoot in a non-vital area. Hard to get my brain to do that though. ;)

Stego target.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been using 100 grain field points with 16.5 pro flights to keep the impact on the targets sensible ,,,,I've seen plenty of axe owners swearing longer arrows with 125 grain points fly more accurate ,,j use 125 grain center points for bag Target practice and for sure it does appear to make them fly better ,,,,,,,now I'm thinking to shoot only with 125 and 150 grain points ,,,,see if that gives the limbs a little less stress impact

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bulldog330 is the best all around option Excalibur offers. Near perfectly balanced with the Stryker stock. The ease in cocking would be a selling feature right there for 3D.
If all you do is 3D ... Bulldog330 for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts