Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it probably won't be ready for starting archery deer season but threw a couple of 500gr arrows and it didn't blow up. Riser is mine and made from 7075 Billet. Rail is Kodabow with Blacktail Flemish string, TriggerTech trigger, Excalibur Micro limbs and KI crank. Would like to thank all that helped with information, experteise, ideas, photos & PARTS! ATM I am caught between two different stock ideas and will most likely make mockups from 2x8 pine to help me decide before going with my final stock. Am planning to add a couple of more features and lighting of existing parts. Ran out of time & daylight to no chronograph numbers. Now photo time!

Plant Air gun Grass Groundcover Gun barrel

Plant Air gun Grass Trigger Groundcover

Musical instrument Plant Guitar accessory Guitar Musical instrument accessory

Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub Soil

Plant Grass Groundcover Bicycle fork Shrub

Plant Grass Groundcover Bicycle handlebar Wire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work Willie! Given the nature of who I am, this is much more impressive to me than buying the latest and greatest and doing a review. Should drive tacks! (y) (y)
Between you & wheelsquad and the info shared , were the most motivation on this build. Got a bit to go and it will happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So did you attach an Excalibur rail piece with the Triggertech into the Kodabow rail?
No Excalibur rail was used. Kodabow uses a different trigger component mount. I had to figure what to do using what material and size was existing on the Koda rail. I originally was going to make my own rail from scratch barstock. Just the material cost was close to the cost of the $70 Koda rail. Once my machining time and cost of hard coat anodizing the rail was a bargain. Most every maker uses extrusion rails. Koda rail is billet strong and a nice looking to boot. I compared the Trigger Tech trigger, Koda rail, KI cocker and my riser print and estimate of riser with limbs and brace set with string installed. Most of my measurements were calculated before fitting but wanted hard numbers so my final process was fitting my machined riser with limbs and string installed on the rail. I then measured from the string to the appropriate place on the rail for a 10" power stroke. I did the measurements to figure what the trigger box needed to fit into the rail with the best support at the proper location. I machined the TriggerTech then machined the Koda rail trigger pocket. I had to take into account having room for every thing to fit the rail including the cocker. I originally was going to use a removable CX/RM poelang generic cocker. CBN member "Rit" mentioned having an extra Killer Instinct cocker with picture. The small size and construction looked solid for modification to be incorporated into being end of rail mounted. Messaged Rit, told him my planned use and we worked a deal! Once the trigger was mounted the actual finishing of the riser length and riser base was machined to fit the front of the rail.

Riser before machining finished length. Note Koda rail before trigger pocket and cocker machining & inletting.
Gas Cable Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply


TriggerTech trigger machined for Koda rail. Nothing was Lego plug & play, every component was fitted. All trigger tech pins & screws were shortened, narrowed or countersunk to fit with maximum support with existing Koda rail material parameters.

Gas Wood Auto part Hardwood Aluminium


Protrusion of the riser from the end of the rail was needed to allow for 10" power stroke. Stirrup fitting should be easy to figure and wasn't a concern. Rail to riser fit is precision and rigid.
Office equipment Wood Sleeve Typewriter Gas
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been putting off ordering the wood and working on the stock due to my non successful hunting attemps the last 4 weekends. I made up a cardboard template awhile back. This past weekend used it to start cutting a true mockup out of 2x8 pine. Did this due to not wanting to screw up a more expensive piece of wood. Got the pine rough cut to stock outline and have decided to forward mount the trigger. Am starting to work on and finish the trigger mounting & linkage before proceeding any more woodwork.
I have decided to go with a laminate stock. I looked at several online places and found what I wanted a couple of months ago but NOT in stock in the width wanted. Then I tried ordering an alternative stock blank from one of the larger aftermarket stock makers and again NO blanks available as all were being used for their custom stocks due to material shortages. Went back to the place that listed in stock laminate wood. Figured I'd look again at my favorite choice in 1.5" width page and it came up blank. Looked at some alterative laminated designs in different widths but still wasn't exactly what I wanted. But none of the other pages came up blank. Wrote the owner Sat morning about the possible software flaw and with the size 24x7x1.5 that I was looking to purchase. He wrote me back Saturday evening & BINGO there was a software listing flaw and it was in stock. Got the UPS tracking this morning.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top