Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I hate to be the thorn in the foot BUT..
I am on (I think) every excal site, page, etc. and the over riding theme is great customer service.
Now lets just think on that a moment.
Why?
I know thats it's because people have needed service. Customer service aside, excal seems to have the very most issue/response threads out there in the past years.
You dont have anything to talk about (on this subject) unless you have experience. So why are there so many issues that are required, in order to have so many customers respond/post to this subject?
It never used to be this way. Customer service for excal wasn't any bigger a post number than any other company.
Today? Seems (it is) like Excal has the most posts across the net, in terms of customer service...which means top in times a customer has had to address the subject.
Good or not (customer service) isn't this catching anyones attention?

·
11,404 Posts
I’ve owned 8 different Excals over the years (and a few Middletons :giggle: ), including 3 Micro’s. Had one slightly twisted limb. All other Excals were totally trouble free. I still say Excals are the most durable, trouble free and easiest to maintain crossbows on the planet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When Excalibur was sold to Bowtec there were many posts on their forum expressing concern of what would happen to quality and customer service. Excal enjoyed one of the most loyal customer bases of all bow makers because of high quality crossbows. If they are experiencing more customer inquires it has to be due to a decline the quality of the bows. I have never had any issue with my 2007 Vortex.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your experiences are not the norm lately. Not the norm over the last 3 years for sure. Not for 8 bows it isnt.
If it were...You would be a beacon on the mountain. Odds are not running that high at all.
Running a little higher than Barnett complaints, which is from a company 10 times larger and with bows 1/2 the quality.

I’ve owned 8 different Excals over the years (and a few Middletons :giggle: ), including 3 Micro’s. Had one slightly twisted limb. All other Excals were totally trouble free. I still say Excals are the most durable, trouble free and easiest to maintain crossbows on the planet.
View attachment 183656

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I own two Excalibur crossbows. One is about 6 years old and the other 5 years, if I remember correctly. No problems with the Grizzly even after I smacked a limb against a tree when shooting at a deer last year. My Matrix 330 has had a little blemish on the left limb that's never gotten any worse. I'm good with my bows.

·
2,732 Posts
I literally ran over my Micro 355 with a F150 don't ask how. The only damage was the Quiver mount, Quiver and 3 Spynal Tapp's. I shot it into a target as soon as I got home and she was dead on. Vortex I agree it's a first for me also. I would be the first to tell it if I had a problem with either of my Excalibur's and I also know that if I did they would take care of it and do it quick. Unlike another manufacturer who's bow I used they didn't answer phone calls and when they did it was a cluster F___. They actually lost my bow when it was in for repair for the 3rd time. Some members here can attest to the fact there have been problems with a few different manufactures bows over the past few years and it all boils down to how they take care there customer. A company that stands behind there product will always have my business. The best Warranty is the one that isn't needed but if it is the Excalibur will take care of it.

Reactions: Boo and Moose X

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
My bow is @ 8 years old now and the only problem I had was the scope broke inside during the first year. I had a new one here about the time I got the broken one put in a box and sent it off. I dealt with Danny Miller. Needless to say I was a happy camper.

Before I bought a crossbow I visited a few archery shops. The last one I went into I talked with the service man at a shop that sold Excalibur crossbows exclusively. He showed me nothing but compounds that he had to work on and he told me if they only serviced the Excals they sold then he wouldn't have a job. I was sold on those remarks. ;)

Reactions: Boo and wildcatter

·
Registered
131 Posts
My experiences with Excal crossbows (M380 & BD 440) have been terrible. I was able to overcome the M380 problems myself (reworked Trigger tech trigger and hand-filed/reshaped/relieved riser repair which had cut the original limbs) so that eventually that M380 became a reliable shooter. The Excal CS supervisor had lied to me on the phone about their Matrix riser issue eating limbs back then, but I ignored him and fixed my crippled 380 myself.

In the 1st week of May of this year I bought a new Bulldog 440. Initially I felt that I might have amother winner in the BD 440, but it didn't take long for reality to turn all of those cheerful fanboy thoughts into [email protected]#$!!! I have a thread going here that outlines some of my most recent nightmares with Excal's poor quality control and shoddy machining/workmanship along with the most horrible experiences with failed limbs AND customer service lies/failures AND customer abuses that I have ever edured myself, OR ever witnessed by any single human victim, by any major crossbow manufacturer!

I may just have to take my new 440 out back and shoot it with my 12 gauge to end my current nightmare. I dare not offer it for sale to anyone, because the buyer would certainly be cheated out of his/her money. I'm not going there....

Folks, Excal is no longer producing quality, reliable products that they become famous for. Y'all that still own old Excals.... hang onto them. I am assuming that most of you still shoot them quite often? Perhaps not many really do....

Your biggest Excal problem though, is the fact that the legendary Excal customer service of yesteryear is now the lead actor in your worst nightmare. Expect no mercy!

Never again will I buy an Excalibur product.

Y'all need to ease up on @Lever Action, he's been very gentle on y'all so far 'cause things appear to be getting a lot worse up yonder in Kitchener!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have six Excalibur crossbows and other than my Micro 335 which was dry fired by the dealer that I bought it off I haven’t had a single problem. The older Exo series are bullet proof. I shoot them all daily but keep up on string maintenance and lube the rail. You won’t find an easier bow to maintain, there trouble free.

Reactions: Boo and wildcatter

·
Registered
467 Posts
I vividly remember a Ford ad campaign in the late '90s, under the slogan "Ford - We do something about it" (my translation).
And they urgently needed to do something, because their failure rate had risen drastically in the years before, probably caused by the increasing amount of electronics and software complexity in cars.
As a detached observer, I got the impression Excalibur felt the need to keep up with the 300+ fps arrow speeds of the (compound) competition, despite of technological differences. And the reduced gpp ratio results in increased failure rates now.
I only have a Jandao "Chace Wind", which is supposedly an Excalibur clone - a simple, robust and reliable 150 lbs recurve with about 250 fps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've also owned 6 or 8 Excaliburs over the years starting with a Vortex, Matrix 380"s Matrix 350, Matrix 330, Micro 335 Blackout and a Micro 355. I haven't owned anything faster than the Matrix 380 so I can't attest to any of the others. I've never had any major issues with any of them other than a couple tactzone scopes That quit illuminating. My son in law still has my Micro 1st generation Blackout 335 and its probably 5 or 6 years old and still is going strong. I feel the same way about Excaliburs being the most trouble free crossbow still out there.

·
1,687 Posts
I own a 440 and a 400 Suppressor, other than serving wear I’ve had no other issues. I’ve owned almost all of them and still retain too many of them.
The only real problem I had was my 315 going through a few sets of limbs. That was totally my fault. I had the riser and mainframe anodized but did not have the riser polished so it chewed away at the limb corners like a chain saw.
The only bad thing I see about Excalibur’s is that the poundage bows are unforgiving and not suitable for beginners, the uneducated or people who cannot admit their mistakes. Granted, shit happens but for the most part many issues are self induced starting with not seating your arrow, over cocking and inbreeding.😁

·
220 Posts
I'm thinking maybe the problem in part is shooting to light an arrow with the high poundage limbs. The 440 if I'm not mistaken 300pound pull. It will be like partial dryfire with every shot if the 350gr min arrow weight is used. I do think 450gr would be a better choice.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not all "customer service" issues are damage or shoddy workmanship. That would be like basing a argument on hearsay. Many are questions on use, setup, proper care etc. When Excalibur started to chase the industry with faster bows they did have some problems (Just like every other crossbow company) most of those problems were addressed and compensated for. I own three different models of different poundage and never had a lick of trouble with any of them. As far as the parent company Bowtech, I love their equipment. Still have a few favorites hanging in the closet.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts