Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been testing the factory quill arrows without nocktune and spine indexing, using 2 blade broadheads from VPA ranging from 150-300gr. I'm more than impressed with the flight and pinpoint accuracy. I wanted to have at least 500gr arrows for my Nyala bull hunt coming up in 2 weeks. The 250gr VPA 2 blade came in at just over 500gr and is shooting like a laser. Half-inch groups at 60yards. The FOC is 28% and combined with the short 16.5-inch quills and the big VPA I've found my setup.

I've seen many posts about how you need spine match arrows and big 5-inch vanes for these fixed blade broadheads, but my findings with the 340TD have been the opposite. I've also tested the 300gr VPA on the 18inch factory arrows out of my Excalibur Exocet 200 and they are just as accurate.

The conclusion that I can draw is that the short crossbow arrows can handle the heavy broadheads without spine issues and also that the FOC above 20% is a big factor in helping the vanes, in my case blazer type to stabilize the arrow completely.

If you are wanting a 500gr setup like me without going the way of buying expensive custom arrows with heavy inserts. Srew in a 250gr broadhead and be amazed. And please post the results.

The target with the arrow in was my last shot at 60yards after sighting in the crossbow.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Wondering why you need a 250 gr BH to reach 500 gr? I used a 20" Bloodsport arrow with a 150 gr head and reached 500 gr. What is the weight of your arrow without a head? It would appear to be 250gr which is lighter than any arrow I know of. Maybe it's very short (16")".

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wondering why you need a 250 gr BH to reach 500 gr? I used a 20" Bloodsport arrow with a 150 gr head and reached 500 gr. What is the weight of your arrow without a head? It would appear to be 250gr which is lighter than any arrow I know of. Maybe it's very short (16")".
The reason is because his factory Excalibur Quills only weigh 250gr. Has nothing to do with them being 16.5", as even the factory Excalibur 18" and 20" weigh the same. Has more to do with the front inserts they use.

So if he were to use aftermarket 16.5" arrows that weigh 300gr without head, he'd achieve the same effect with a 200gr head.

@JH HUNTER cool findings 👍

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The reason is because his factory Excalibur Quills only weigh 250gr. Has nothing to do with them being 16.5", as even the factory Excalibur 18" and 20" weigh the same. Has more to do with the front inserts they use.

So if he were to use aftermarket 16.5" arrows that weigh 300gr without head, he'd achieve the same effect with a 200gr head.

@JH HUNTER cool findings 👍
It had to do with the GPI and light inserts I guess. It would make more sense changing out the inserts if possible. Then you will have many more choices in broadheads. Not as many broadheads around weighing over 150 gr as there is weighing 150 gr or less.

Reactions: JH HUNTER

·
Premium Member
Excalibur Assassin 400TD
709 Posts
I have been testing the factory quill arrows without nocktune and spine indexing, using 2 blade broadheads from VPA ranging from 150-300gr. I'm more than impressed with the flight and pinpoint accuracy. I wanted to have at least 500gr arrows for my Nyala bull hunt coming up in 2 weeks. The 250gr VPA 2 blade came in at just over 500gr and is shooting like a laser. Half-inch groups at 60yards. The FOC is 28% and combined with the short 16.5-inch quills and the big VPA I've found my setup.

I've seen many posts about how you need spine match arrows and big 5-inch vanes for these fixed blade broadheads, but my findings with the 340TD have been the opposite. I've also tested the 300gr VPA on the 18inch factory arrows out of my Excalibur Exocet 200 and they are just as accurate.

The conclusion that I can draw is that the short crossbow arrows can handle the heavy broadheads without spine issues and also that the FOC above 20% is a big factor in helping the vanes, in my case blazer type to stabilize the arrow completely.

Very good information.
Thank you for sharing.

·
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It had to do with the GPI and light inserts I guess. It would make more sense to change out the inserts if possible. Then you will have many more choices in broadheads. Not as many broadheads around weighing over 150 gr as there are weighing 150 gr or less.
It's almost impossible to get the insert out of the Excalibur Quill. And even if I can get it out there is no way for me to get inserts weighing more in South Africa. There are a ton of vertical bow arrows and components but not much crossbow in SA. The VPA broadheads are nearly indestructible and take a razor edge with little effort on my Lansky sharpener. I agree if I was in the States I would also just buy shafts and a couple of inserts weights and build my own to be able to utilize broadheads in the 100-150 range. This post was meant for Excalibur users that have the Quill arrows weighing 250gr without a broadhead and the only way to get it to 500gr is with a 250gr broadhead. They can rest assured that the spine and crazy FOC are actually helping the flight and producing super accuracy at longer ranges. And that without a custom spine located, spine match, nock tune arrow. Just screw the big VPA in and shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts