Crossbow Nation banner

Extreme FOC with a factory quill arrow and VPA 2 blade

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Canadcat 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been testing the factory quill arrows without nocktune and spine indexing, using 2 blade broadheads from VPA ranging from 150-300gr. I'm more than impressed with the flight and pinpoint accuracy. I wanted to have at least 500gr arrows for my Nyala bull hunt coming up in 2 weeks. The 250gr VPA 2 blade came in at just over 500gr and is shooting like a laser. Half-inch groups at 60yards. The FOC is 28% and combined with the short 16.5-inch quills and the big VPA I've found my setup.

I've seen many posts about how you need spine match arrows and big 5-inch vanes for these fixed blade broadheads, but my findings with the 340TD have been the opposite. I've also tested the 300gr VPA on the 18inch factory arrows out of my Excalibur Exocet 200 and they are just as accurate.

The conclusion that I can draw is that the short crossbow arrows can handle the heavy broadheads without spine issues and also that the FOC above 20% is a big factor in helping the vanes, in my case blazer type to stabilize the arrow completely.

If you are wanting a 500gr setup like me without going the way of buying expensive custom arrows with heavy inserts. Srew in a 250gr broadhead and be amazed. And please post the results.

The target with the arrow in was my last shot at 60yards after sighting in the crossbow.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Wondering why you need a 250 gr BH to reach 500 gr? I used a 20" Bloodsport arrow with a 150 gr head and reached 500 gr. What is the weight of your arrow without a head? It would appear to be 250gr which is lighter than any arrow I know of. Maybe it's very short (16")".

#4 ·
The reason is because his factory Excalibur Quills only weigh 250gr. Has nothing to do with them being 16.5", as even the factory Excalibur 18" and 20" weigh the same. Has more to do with the front inserts they use.

So if he were to use aftermarket 16.5" arrows that weigh 300gr without head, he'd achieve the same effect with a 200gr head.

@JH HUNTER cool findings 👍

#7 ·
I have been testing the factory quill arrows without nocktune and spine indexing, using 2 blade broadheads from VPA ranging from 150-300gr. I'm more than impressed with the flight and pinpoint accuracy. I wanted to have at least 500gr arrows for my Nyala bull hunt coming up in 2 weeks. The 250gr VPA 2 blade came in at just over 500gr and is shooting like a laser. Half-inch groups at 60yards. The FOC is 28% and combined with the short 16.5-inch quills and the big VPA I've found my setup.

I've seen many posts about how you need spine match arrows and big 5-inch vanes for these fixed blade broadheads, but my findings with the 340TD have been the opposite. I've also tested the 300gr VPA on the 18inch factory arrows out of my Excalibur Exocet 200 and they are just as accurate.

The conclusion that I can draw is that the short crossbow arrows can handle the heavy broadheads without spine issues and also that the FOC above 20% is a big factor in helping the vanes, in my case blazer type to stabilize the arrow completely.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Very good information.
Thank you for sharing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.