Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever tried to group arrows? Most archers have. Yesterday I did an extreme grouping. I shoot one dozen matched arrows to see how they grouped at 80 yards. These arrows are Victory Xbolts (425 gr with tips) made for Gander Mountain. Arrow are spine matched and weight matched.

This is how it went.

The shooting sequence starts at the lower right hand to left to the top. I didn't start with number one arrow. I started with #6 because it was my reference arrow from prior shooting.

Point of aim was the large center of spot in the target. Remember this is about grouping as opposed to whether I was hitting my point of aim.

tempFileForShare_20200904-101610.jpg

Following the photo sequence from the bottom right hand corner.

• From the marked red photo I pointed at the position where #6 and #7 POI was because I didn't take photos of them before pulling the arrows.
  • #5 was a flyer noting the number on the vane 5V. Same photo for first photo and 2nd.
  • 1V was up and to the right. I shoot 1V twice to make sure it wasn't a mistake. I
  • 1V hit the same hole as the first 1V
  • 2V hit the same hole as the first two 1Vs. Note the extra depth of penetration
  • 3V was low and to the left of 2V about an 1.5"
  • 3V 2nd shoot was hitting the edge of first 3V shoot
  • 4V was to the left of 3V by about 1"
  • 9V hit in the same hole 4V
-10V hit below and to the left of 6V
  • 11V hit the same hole as 9V
  • 12V hit about 1/2" left of 1V and 1V
In summary I have two very good groups with one flyer #5V:
  • One group centered near #6V
  • Another group centered near # 1V
  • Arrows 1V,1V,2V hit same hole POI shot consecutively
  • 4V, 9V, 11V hit same hole not shot consecutively
In all I am very pleased with the results and the arrow quality. This is the first time I didn't cull any arrows from a purchase.
At normal hunt shooting yardage all these will hit the kill zone of a whitetail.

Like to heard any comments.

Spot On

Reactions: Wapster

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Good results with inexpensive arrows. At 80 yds nonetheless.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good for factory arrows
Thanks, I proved why it's good practice not to shoot at the same spot without pulling the previous shot. I would have Robinhooded a few.
Forgot to mention XBOLTS are straight to within 0.003".

·
4,755 Posts
I agree that the shooting and groupings are very good.
Considering economics and satisfaction: What is the cost difference between each custom arrow and the usable factory arrows? There will generally be a difference even with the EvoX arrows; but with the EvoX arrows, the custom arrows will be less.
So, the Victory X bolts at $60/12 (actually plus shipping they are somewhat more) with , say, 9 fairly good are $6.67 ea. Let’s say custom arrows are $150/12 or $12.50 each - about half .
So, the difference for having 12 high quality and more accurate arrows is close to $70. In the big picture of things, is $70 for 12 more accurate arrows? Depending on the crossbow and the maximum desired range, the Victories might be better.
BUT, DON’T TEST WITH FIELD POINTS TO MAKE THE DETERMINATION! Test with your desired broadheads. This is what counts and where the differences will manifest themselves. If all shooting is 40 yards out of a gentle xbow, likely therell only be negligable differences. If the xbow is high performance and 60 yards or greater are desired, the custom arrows will likely be much better. Not all “custom” arrows are equal. Ive not found better than Big John’s, Boo’s or Jerry’s. Only Jerry is in the USA.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that the shooting and groupings are very good.
Considering economics and satisfaction: What is the cost difference between each custom arrow and the usable factory arrows? There will generally be a difference even with the EvoX arrows; but with the EvoX arrows, the custom arrows will be less.
So, the Victory X bolts at $60/12 (actually plus shipping they are somewhat more) with , say, 9 fairly good are $6.67 ea. Let’s say custom arrows are $150/12 or $12.50 each - about half .
So, the difference for having 12 high quality and more accurate arrows is close to $70. In the big picture of things, is $70 for 12 more accurate arrows? Depending on the crossbow and the maximum desired range, the Victories might be better.
BUT, DON’T TEST WITH FIELD POINTS TO MAKE THE DETERMINATION! Test with your desired broadheads. This is what counts and where the differences will manifest themselves. If all shooting is 40 yards out of a gentle xbow, likely therell only be negligable differences. If the xbow is high performance and 60 yards or greater are desired, the custom arrows will likely be much better. Not all “custom” arrows are equal. Ive not found better than Big John’s, Boo’s or Jerry’s. Only Jerry is in the USA.
It's been years since I tested broadheads from my crossbow. The reason being I did enough testing back (20 years ago) then and found I was wasting my time and abusing my Spitfire 3 blades because they fly the same as the field points. I only paid $43 for each dozen (4) with shipping when I guy was selling them on ebay.
I gave my broadhead target to my nephew and only use the same weight fieldpoint to practice. That is my approach and I don't expect anyone else to follow it. But there are many that do the same.
Oh! By the way when I received these XBOLTs I spin tested and weighed each one. I was very pleased with the results.
Good luck!

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
[QUOTE="SEW, post: 1370793, member:BUT, DON’T TEST WITH FIELD POINTS TO MAKE THE DETERMINATION! Test with your desired broadheads. This is what counts and where the differences will manifest themselves. If all shooting is 40 yards out of a gentle xbow, likely therell only be negligable differences. If the xbow is high performance and 60 yards or greater are desired, the custom arrows will likely be much better. Not all “custom” arrows are equal. Ive not found better than Big John’s, Boo’s or Jerry’s. Only Jerry is in the USA.
[/QUOTE]

It never ceases to amaze me that a lot of shooters don't understand this and then once they do "screw on the broad-head" they can't believe the change that happens sometimes.

·
4,755 Posts
Gentle v and c bows, especially 20 years ago, didn‘t put near the stress on arrows during launch as do high performance bows of today. Nor did the arrows go nearly as fast.
Case in point: the factory (Octaine) arrows shot great out of my BT Som (350’/sec , long power stroke, lots of letoff) . When shot out of my M380 and 405, they were terrible. When I shot Jerry’s custom STs out of my Ms they did well as well as in my Sol. The STs didn’t shoot much better out of the gentle Sol than the much inferior Octaine arrows. The differences were magnified when shooting my favorite expandibles of that time period - 3 blade Spitfires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Robertyb

its doubtful your ravin likes a lighter spine arrow. Its very likely there is some other reason the BEEs performed better

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Robertyb

its doubtful your ravin likes a lighter spine arrow. Its very likely there is some other reason the BEEs performed better
Both arrows shoot great using the same field points. The Blood Sport arrows only started shooting fliers with the broadheads and then only at 40 yards or greater which really surprised me as they have always shot great in all my bows in the past. I figure it has to be a mix of speed and spine. Maybe just the speed though at 435 fps. My fastest bow before is a Scorpyd DS 420 and it shoots the same broadheads great.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Both arrows shoot great using the same field points. The Blood Sport arrows only started shooting fliers with the broadheads and then only at 40 yards or greater which really surprised me as they have always shot great in all my bows in the past. I figure it has to be a mix of speed and spine. Maybe just the speed though at 435 fps. My fastest bow before is a Scorpyd DS 420 and it shoots the same broadheads great.

I have a few questions.

Are they all indexed and spine matched?

Did you square the inserts?

Did you use the same heads?

Do both arrows have the same vanes and same orientation?

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Nope Jerry. Both of these are straight factory fletched arrows. But like I said they both shoot great until I put the Hypodermic on and then the BS gets wonky at 40 and over.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nope Jerry. Both of these are straight factory fletched arrows. But like I said they both shoot great until I put the Hypodermic on and then the BS gets wonky at 40 and over.
I love figuring things like this out. I have a feeling its not the spine

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This evening I did a follow up comparison grouping with the same dozen matched XBOLTS at 40 yards.

On the sequence of photos I marked the aim black spot with red.
#3V and 5V where at farthest distance but still kill shots. All others were good .
Six arrows hit at least part of the 1" spot on aim.

Good overall for 12 arrows. No culls!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This evening I did a follow up comparison grouping with the same dozen matched XBOLTS at 40 yards.

On the sequence of photos I marked the aim black spot with red.
#3V and 5V where at farthest distance but still kill shots. All others were good .
Six arrows hit at least part of the 1" spot on aim.

Good overall for 12 arrows. No culls!
[/QUOTE
20200905_214340.jpg

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Turn your nock to a different vane on v5 and v3....see if they hit closer to the dot. If they dont respond to the first new vane try the next one....Report back(y)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts