Crossbow Nation banner
321 - 340 of 374 Posts

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Ok, I don't mean to sound like I'm on your case and I might be outright wrong, but somehow I can't help but think that shooting a crossbow that is held solidly in a vice may be hard on the bow.
Shooting free hand or off a rest, one's body would absorb a lot of recoil.

All my shooting with various brands and series of crossbows have been
locked into a high quality rifle jig. No damage here with many thousands
of shots.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

· Registered
30 Posts
Ok, I don't mean to sound like I'm on your case and I might be outright wrong, but somehow I can't help but think that shooting a crossbow that is held solidly in a vice may be hard on the bow.
Hey, I have to be appreciative of your astute observations of my rigging. I’m a learner here, having only been hunting by x bow for three seasons. Here’s the deal, the vice ain’t dog dick tight or anything, there’s a little wiggle in it. I’m just improvising because my actual lead sled is at deer camp about an hours ride away. The bench vice is really just to hold the weapon while I hoof it down range to retrieve that bolt. As you can see I’m actually doing more leg work being too lazy to go inside and get my good arrows and range finder and other stuff I spent money on to bow hunt with. In any event I’ve got about 15 shots off that rebuilt dry fired Fatal X, bent cams and all after a little body work and filing and a new string. Burying that bolt dead nuts at 40yds consistently… so it’s operable to hunt with while I wait on the pro shop to refurbish my ripper and while I wait on KI to build me a new Fatal front end assembly..

· Registered
30 Posts
So......Tarzan, is Jane a widow or did yer test go OK?
Man I’m still standing and been slinging arrows off the Fatal all afternoon. I’d say test was a success thanks to the wealth of knowledge you experts have bestowed upon me a humble novice. And I’m not being a smart Alec dude I really really appreciate you. Thanks to all who got on here and took the time to share the information. I’m going to print out a bunch of it for my file. And I definitely plan on shoplifting that improved bow press idea

· Crossbow Nut
5,938 Posts
@Tarzanyell, it sounds like you dryfired yer bow?
If yes, have you discovered how the anti dry fire malfunctioned or was defeated?
I dry fired my X1 when the safety switch only engaged halfway, and I didn't notice, then got distracted and didn't load an arrow. Curious if similar in yer situation.

· Registered
30 Posts
@Tarzanyell, it sounds like you dryfired yer bow?
If yes, have you discovered how the anti dry fire malfunctioned or was defeated?
I dry fired my X1 when the safety switch only engaged halfway, and I didn't notice, then got distracted and didn't load an arrow. Curious if similar in yer situation.
so to answer the question more directly. Yes I dry fired the bow. However it was not due to any mechanical failure of the weapon system. It was merely that my brain was out to lunch at the time that I was playing with it.

· Crossbow Nut
5,938 Posts
so to answer the question more directly. Yes I dry fired the bow. However it was not due to any mechanical failure of the weapon system. It was merely that my brain was out to lunch at the time that I was playing with it.
So it's (ADF) mechanically sound and operable then?

· Registered
30 Posts
A

Absolutely. The bow dry fired because I manually forced it to shoot by manipulating the small pin near the safety switch. I imagined that I’d loaded an arr0w on it but got distracted and hadn’t
Pardon I typed out a long story on what happened but comms went bad at the deer camp and the message dint go thru and I ain’t got the heart to relive it again in less than 24 hours sorry bud

· Registered
30 Posts
On another note customer service at KI came thru for me and sent brand new X cams, axels, and string for the Fatal.. free of charge. That’s unparalleled support right there. I didn’t even purchase the bow from them, it wasn’t registered yet either, and I broke it myself. Not to mention probably voiding whatever warranty there could have been when I stuck it in that ramshackle crossbow press I threw together. I told them I could rebuild it myself and they obliged me with free hardware. Killer Instinct is serious about keeping you in the woods. When my ship comes I’m gonna get a Swat for my old man.

· Crossbow Nut
5,938 Posts
Yep lovin my Swat X1 an KI service. Warnin tho: you'll love the X1 so much you'll wanta keep it, so if ya give one to yer Dad, you'll want 1 for yerself......OR...... I can hear ya sayin "hey Dad, bought me a new crossbow, you can have my old one" LOL

321 - 340 of 374 Posts