Crossbow Nation banner
361 - 374 of 374 Posts

· Registered
8,555 Posts
Hey guys. I’m new here, and looking to purchase a crossbow. I have been looking all over the web at prices, reviews, etc.
Being new to hunting I am still in many ways dealing with sticker shock on the amount of money people invest in hunting. That’s just not me. I’m cheap, so admit it.
Buuuttt, I am a firm believer in both the “bang for your buck” and “buy once, cry once” methodology.
All this to say, would you recommend the fatal x to a new crossbow hunter?
Oh and as an fyi, I have about $500 to spend.
At this time ,i would wait for the Barnett Raptor 43 EX to hit the market in the spring for a side by side comparison. Both $599.00

· Registered
26 Posts
At this time ,i would wait for the Barnett Raptor 43 EX to hit the market in the spring for a side by side comparison. Both $599.00
I totally agree! However there is a lot of concern over on the Barnett forum in regards to their bolt quality. That thing does look sweet though. And Walmart has the fatal x at $460 right now.

· Crossbow Nut
5,938 Posts
Yeah, and if I’m not mistaken, it looks like the deisel and vital have composite rails. I found out with the Darton that composite rails and short axle to axle don’t play real well together.
I don't mind composite rails at all IF ther machined true after they cool.
Bout a hundred years ago I had a Crosman Teton with a composite rail that had more waves than the Pacific Ocean, was warped an never machined. Sent it back an they sent me a new one; same thing. Shot ok but I can't stand crap workmanship so got rid of it. Owned a Barnett back then for 1 day for the same reason, an back to Dunham's next day. In those days Parker was the only one I knew of that machine finished ther composite. Almost bought one but went to aluminum rail bows instead.
I cant imagine KI puttin out warped composite but I'd needta see one first. J1mo.

Reactions: burky247365

· Registered
8,555 Posts
I totally agree! However there is a lot of concern over on the Barnett forum in regards to their bolt quality. That thing does look sweet though. And Walmart has the fatal x at $460 right now.
Bolt quality, you mean arrows? There is no concern over arrow quality. The concern is wether or Not The Raptor Will shoot standard size arrows or hyper only. Video and now written statements say it does shoot standard. This why I said to wait for its release to compare both. $460.00 is a great price on fatal.I would look on the box for manufacture date to make sure it not an older model before the string pressure fix.

· Registered
8,382 Posts
I don't mind composite rails at all IF ther machined true after they cool.
Bout a hundred years ago I had a Crosman Teton with a composite rail that had more waves than the Pacific Ocean, was warped an never machined. Sent it back an they sent me a new one; same thing. Shot ok but I can't stand crap workmanship so got rid of it. Owned a Barnett back then for 1 day for the same reason, an back to Dunham's next day. In those days Parker was the only one I knew of that machine finished ther composite. Almost bought one but went to aluminum rail bows instead.
I cant imagine KI puttin out warped composite but I'd needta see one first. J1mo.
Tit for tat Xbow experiences? KI needs to step up their limb reliability game. Their recent limb legacy is well documented here on CBN with narrow Xbows. Hope they get it right. De-tuning xbows is not getting it right. However, they are making some cool looking Xbows. KI425 is solid xbow with solid limbs from my family experience. I'd wait for everything to get released.

I'm all in on Raptor Hyper Xbow design but not gonna jump in immediately. I'm solid right now but do want to add a second Xbow in 2023. I need to get some honest reviews from trusted folks here on CBN.

Many cool looking XBows at ATA.

· Registered
26 Posts
Oh I love the look of those Hyper Raptors just released. I just cannot get over $500. I am concerned about buying too technical of a bow, but I also feel very confident in my ability to learn the nuances of equipment and adjust (basically read reviews or tutorials).

It seems I might just have to be patient, which is not exactly my strong suit. But there is lots of research to be done on here. I suppose I should also note that sitting in a stand or ground blind isn’t exactly my strong suit, though obviously if I’m going to bow hunt that will have to change…

I’m only seeing the fatal x on Walmart.com not in my store so I have no way of knowing about manufacture date.
Thanks so much for the info guys!

· Registered
26 Posts
Bolt quality, you mean arrows? There is no concern over arrow quality. The concern is wether or Not The Raptor Will shoot standard size arrows or hyper only. Video and now written statements say it does shoot standard. This why I said to wait for its release to compare both. $460.00 is a great price on fatal.I would look on the box for manufacture date to make sure it not an older model before the string pressure fix.
Hey man, bolts/arrows what the recommended term? Again I’m new here. Lol

I see it most referred to as bolts. But I truly want to use the proper lingo.

· Registered
8,555 Posts
Longer than 15 Inch...arrow. While that $460 is a good price, if money is tight I would go with an xbow that is not ultra narrow (under 9 cocked) They eat up strings and cables at more than double the rate. [email protected] are not cheap and unless you have a press which is not cheap,you will have a labor cost on top of the [email protected] cost. Narrow lucky t get 400 shots. 9-12 wide 1000 plus if cared for. The Barnett xtr400 can be found on eBay new for around $420.00. 10 inch wide cocked,sweet 3lb zero creep trigger. Fast and accurate. Weigh 6.5 lb, aluminum rail.
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Advertising Engineering

· Registered
8,382 Posts
Oh I love the look of those Hyper Raptors just released. I just cannot get over $500. I am concerned about buying too technical of a bow, but I also feel very confident in my ability to learn the nuances of equipment and adjust (basically read reviews or tutorials).

It seems I might just have to be patient, which is not exactly my strong suit. But there is lots of research to be done on here. I suppose I should also note that sitting in a stand or ground blind isn’t exactly my strong suit, though obviously if I’m going to bow hunt that will have to change…

I’m only seeing the fatal x on Walmart.com not in my store so I have no way of knowing about manufacture date.
Thanks so much for the info guys!
The 2023 ATA hype is revving up and there are several legit price point options in play. Patience is a tough when you get the itch. You found the right place to guide you. Good luck!

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks so much for the info! This is the info I’m here to find.
Just as with price, I feel like there’s probably a happy medium between ultra narrow, and the wider bows that just look like they’d be clunky in the woods.

Here in Southern Vermont, there’s not exactly a plethora of fields to hunt. Lots of hills and woods.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys. I’m new here, and looking to purchase a crossbow. I have been looking all over the web at prices, reviews, etc.
Being new to hunting I am still in many ways dealing with sticker shock on the amount of money people invest in hunting. That’s just not me. I’m cheap, so admit it.
Buuuttt, I am a firm believer in both the “bang for your buck” and “buy once, cry once” methodology.
All this to say, would you recommend the fatal x to a new crossbow hunter?
Oh and as an fyi, I have about $500 to spend.
Buy It

· Registered
Excalibur Exomax
783 Posts
Initial purchase price is only the beginning. Be sure whatever crossbow you decide on doesn’t chew up strings or has a history of limb failures. You can very quickly drop a lot of money in a failure prone crossbow.
Bill

· Registered
8,555 Posts
Even if nothing goes wrong, be prepared to support your new addiction....I would put a smiley face up but not kidding. Next thing ya know, scopes, custom arrows or worse you start building your own. Twenty packs of different unopened broadheads, backup xbow,loaner xbow, secret xbow your wife don,t know about....it gets ugly.🤬

361 - 374 of 374 Posts