Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your "all time favorites" that you have owned???

Here are mine:

Under $300.00 favorite (you could actually put a TriggerTech in it)... lightweight, compact, can decock and a decent stock trigger.

Favorite $400.00 - $700.00... The Killer Instinct Furious 370 FRT with the TriggerTech trigger... It had a better trigger than crossbows costing over a grand at the time of it's release and it could still kick butt today! With dampeners in the right spots, very quiet and vibe free at the shot!

Honorable Mention $400.00 - $700.00 Stryker SZ350... Best trigger before the KI Furious 370 FRT in this price range... lightweight and quiet! I had the first black SZ, I painted it! I also had a SZ380 that was awesome!

Favorite under $1500.00... Scorpyd Deathstalker 420... Lightweight, great trigger, almost vibe free at the shot, change string and cables in the field... If I could only have one crossbow, this would be it!

Favorite under $2K... Scorpyd Aculeus... Extremely fast and accurate with flat trajectory, great trigger, almost vibe free at the shot, change string and cables in the field

Favorite over $2K... Ravin R26... Great trigger, integrated cocking and decocking, lightweight and super compact!

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I would have to go with my DS 380. I would have the 420 but got the Nemesis 480 instead. It was a toss up back then, whether it was the DS 420, Aculeus 460 or Nemesis 480. Of course I went for the Nemesis and despite its habit of munching on the center serving its running a close race to being my favorite over the DS. Despite its issue, it is an awsome shooting crossbow. It doesn't get the praise it's due.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hmmm...I'd have to say my Excal/Middleton hybrid 330 SS Bulldog..killed a pile of deer with that bow... shouldn't have ever sold it :-(
However, I've got a new (to me) custom 300/310 Micro Bulldog that's the cat's meow-to me anyways :)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I’ve had a Barnett Recruit, a Silver Ventilator, a Mission Dagger, a DS380, and a Mission Sub-1 XR.

I sold my favorite to my brother-in-law - the Mission Dagger. 😢

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sam, we both know a small group of people who would claim you need to give up a months worth of a mortgage payment to own the best.....if not you then you know nothing about crossbows and you purchased a POS no matter the brand !!!!
I've been hunting for 40 years with archery, this will be my 2nd season with a crossbow, what do I know I own two Centerpoints you now that Taiwan crap

·
8,922 Posts
My 408fps Scorpyd Orion … obviously. I've been tipping over deer with it for years now. In reality I haven't owned many crossbows. 386fps Bowtech Strykeforce that killed a pile of deer with a seemingly 9lb trigger. 390fps Bowtech Strykezone that I hated and dumped. Good trigger but every time I looked the safety had migrated to the "Fire" position. 425fps/428gr Scorpyd Velocity that I still have. Fast, powerful & deadly, but no crank so the Orion stepped forward from being a needed backup purchase for out of state deer management. Been there ever since, and will be until I either add an Aerocrank to the faster Velocity or upgrade to a faster crossbow. We'll see what next ATA show brings. So far looks like another Scorpyd or a flagship Ten Point.

Will say I liked the Ten Point 470fps XRT Todd from Crossbow Magazine loaned me to try. Probably would have bought one, if it shot 470fps...lol

Reactions: BKX-BOW

·
2,816 Posts
Well, Inspector98 sold me two used Middleton bows. Still have both, but one is now highly modified. Having rails from 10.75 out to (at one point) 16.5” power stroke, old 36”, modified 32”, down to 28” SS limbs, and 3 sets of Matrix limbs, I will say some combos are just special in feel. Favorites? 355 SS, 380 hybrid with Matrix limbs (thanks, bbahunter) for recurves. Haven’t had many compound crossbows, but “Little Franky” that Burky made for me is pretty hard to beat, an RDX that falls between the Sub 1 and X-R in speed. I would agree that most any crossbow can be made to shoot better than the guy behind the trigger.
A01C6D7E-C61B-4CE6-9FA0-B19BDC2D9580.jpeg 14CAC2EB-5578-4AA6-9E98-BAE746198060.jpeg BD45528D-08BF-434B-AEB8-7E8768E43BA4.jpeg

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
My favorite recurve is an Excalibur Matrix 350 LE. Love that bow!
Toss up on compounds between my Deathstalker 420 and my Ravin R20. If my shoulders were not getting to the point of where I am having problems cocking the DS 420 I would give it the No. 1 spot in a heartbeat. I do like the crank on the Ravin though.

·
4,713 Posts
The 3 I have. Tried to get into a frame of mind to sell two, but just couldn’t.
BD400/1.5# TT. Boo string, Tapp Nation arrows. Simple and consistent.
Aculeus 460/AD Tapp Nation arrows. Unbelievable quality.
SWAT - small, accurate, easy to cock, economical, most for the least. Currently #1.
‘SWAT XP - hoping it becomes #1.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, "all over times" means for me a two year Crossbow history. I owned 3, the first a 550 Dollar HoriZone was really bad. Too many issues, less shots. Today I have an DS 400 und a Axe. Both are great, DS wins my personal comparison. I know its not really fair, because the price is different. Also the accessoires are much higher quality, scope etc..

For the future I'm going to look for Ravin, Mission or KI Swat XP.
Following all reviews here.

Maybe my Story after 10 years will a little bit longer.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I have owned a bunch of good ones, BUT,,, If only one it would have to be the 380 Matrix in Mad Max camo from Excalibur. A very close second would be the micro suppressor, it's one bow I wish I would not have sold.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Probably the 3 that I have currently. All very different than each other, but love all 3 in their own right. A Scorpyd Silver Ventilator 150 w/ Vortex Viper XBR scope, a Scorpyd Grim Reaper w/ Evo-X scope, and a R10 w/ Evo-X scope. All 3 will shoot 400/400, which is a requirement for me.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
My next bow will be a toss up between the SWAT XP or the DS 420 or whatever Scorpyds new bow is because I hear it's supposed to be a DS 500. If that's the case, there's no more deciding for me on my new addition to my small humble collection.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
A DS 500 is only a 20 fps gain for you Marty. Not worth an upgrade for the cost involved. Get the Swat XP.

·
Registered
896 Posts
My next bow will be a toss up between the SWAT XP or the DS 420 or whatever Scorpyds new bow is because I hear it's supposed to be a DS 500. If that's the case, there's no more deciding for me on my new addition to my small humble collection.
If that is true, I WILL have one, lol!

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Well, since I've only owned 2 crossbows I'll give the nod for them. It's the Sniper 370 which has had the trigger job along with a better scope, better arrows, and a sling added. Shoots great @ 352 fps and kills deer. The other is my old school Vortex from Excal which is a bit slower at 305 fps but is a real tack driver. All you ever have to do with this bow is wax the string and go shoot it. Shoot exactly the same from one day to the next. And....this bow also kills deer.;)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Started with a KI Ripper, fast,accurate,fairly light. Loud, hard kick,screws would not stay tight even in places you cannot see. Rail flex and busted limbs. Picked up a TS 370 not really expecting a lot,just something to hunt with. I was wrong. It has turned out to be an excellent hunti g xbow. Light,fully adjustable, under lb TT trigger with zero play. Oem rated at 370 fps with 380 gn. With Martys strings and cables and some tuning I am getting 377 fps with 400 gn. The fit and finish is solid and comfotable. Easy to cock with a 12.5 inch power stroke. Almost no kick and pretty quiet. Cannot shoot at same spot at 50yards or destroyed arrows. I now have well over 2000 shots on it. Swat xp someday, I hope.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts