Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,514 Posts
I’ve used Slick Tricks and Ramcats. I think the Ramcats generally are a little easier to get great flight. They seem to leave more blood at the hit site and more on the ground, but that is a crapshoot. For hogs, the greater toughness of the tricks may be better.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
353 Posts
TOTA 1" solids are tough broadheads, and they fly really well.
The Boltcutters are good too! I've killed a few hogs with them in the past.

I know it gets costly but buy some different fixed and shoot them out of your bow. See which one it likes!

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
353 Posts
A lot of it has to do with "surface area" in fixed broadheads!
The bigger the head, for example a Tuffhead or a VPA in the 175 or bigger weights, have way more surface area to create more drag, thus effecting arrow flight.
This is why you see on average shorter overall length heads like TOTA , Slick Tricks or Boltcutters appear to fly better.
However, you can, as mentioned "tune" your arrows.
My heavy arrows are made up of shafts that weigh 386 grains without the head. Then I add 200 grains to that. That's 586 grains of arrow downrange.
With properly tuned arrows, I can hit a 1" circle at 40 yards all day long. And I'm NOT shooting 2" vanes. It takes more to "steer" that setup than 2". 😎

I started out shooting the manufacturers recommended minimum weight. But things got heavier!!! 🤣😂🤣

And no...I don't shoot these at Whitetails. That would be cruel!! 🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts