Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some pictures of feeder that look like 6 or 8 inch PVC pipe standing up against trees. It appears that the must work quite well. ANyone have the info on how they are made? I've got an idea but not 100% sure. They look to be 5ft or so tall with a 45degree fitting on the bottom

·
2,811 Posts
Thats about all there is to it, the only problem is you go thru a lot of corn because every critter in the woods gets in it. You can google homemade deer feeders and get the info also..

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
A neighbor had 3 or 4 of those PVC gravity feeders up. I think the turkeys got more use of them than the deer. Also the deer that were using them only did so at night.
These Moultrie feeders are going for $89 and work very well. Mine holds 200lbs. It has been in place since the beginning of March. I have it set to go off at 7:00AM and 4:00PM. At first the deer were visiting at night and picking up both feedings but they quickly learned when it was spreading and started to visit very close to the time it fired off. I have been told they will learn the sound of the slinger going off and come running like ringing a dinner bell eventually. This one is placed next to a new planting of clover to introduce them to the field this year.

Attachments

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using similar broadcast type feeders. Like you said they do condition the deer to come when they hear the feeder running. The poblem where I am is I have had two of them trashed by bears. I hang mine from a large branch about 16 feet up a tree. I use a rope and pulley to raise and lower it . Damn bears climb the trees and rip it down. Gets to be pretty expensive. Tried a tripod once and it tok the bears no time to crash it ot the ground. What ever I use it has to be bear proof or cheap and easy to replace.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I don't have bear problems so I don't know much about them. Would it be possible for you to drape a chain or cable between 2 trees and hang the feeder from it? At least that way they would not be able to climb to it. In the event you get a trapeze artist you could grease the cable.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Homemade corn feeder

Here, we use 600 lb auto feeders mostly. Stake them to the ground so the hogs and cattle don't knock them over.
When I used to hunt public land, I made a corn feeder out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. You cut holes in the sides at the bottoms @ the size of a quarter or a little smaller. We did triangles. One or two rows all the way around, depending on how much feed you want the wind to blow out of the bucket. (Maybe start with 4 or 5 holes on a bottom row). If you use smaller and less holes, you can put a quarter size hole in the center, run a string or wire to a crossbrace inside the top part of the bucket, and add a piece of thin metal (to catch the wind) to blow around on the wire when the wind blows at the bottom end. The string or wire will wiggle when the wind blows, and drop corn and you can hang the feeder anywhere. If some one steals it, you didn't loose much.
I used to catch bow hunters sitting @ 10 yards from it when I walked in sometimes. That's public land hunting for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts