Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been test shooting a number of different broadheads, all 125gr., that I have on hand in preparation for the upcoming hunting seasons. I've shot Slick tricks, Magnus 2 and 4 blade Stingers, NAP Thunderheads, SlingBlades, and Spitfires. The Magnus Stingers, although super accurate out of my longbows and recurves, did not fare well out of my Viper. At 30 yards they were impacting an average of 8" away from my fieldpoints, and not shooting into anything I could call a group. The Slick Tricks faired a bit better, doing 5" groups at 30 yards. The 125 Thunderheads shot slightly better than the Slick Tricks. The NAP Spitfires, using dental bands to provide extra insurance to premature opening, shot 2" groups about 1 1/2" below my fieldpoints. I should mention by groups, I mean I shot single arrows, marked their impact with a marker, then measured the size of three shots in succession. The real eye opener were the NAP 125 SlingBlades. I fired one shot, and the Slingblade hit deadcenter of my aiming point. I moved my broadhead target out to 40 yards, fired one Evo-X Centerpunch fieldpoint, and marked the hole with a marker. I took the same arrow, took off the fieldpoint and screwed in a SlingBlade, and hit the same hole. Shot a second time and hit within a half-inch. Moved the target out to 50 yards, and shot three SlingBladed arrows within 3/4" of the initial fieldpoint impact. One of the shots cut the fieldpoint hole. All four shots could have been covered by a half-dollar. I believe I have found my broadhead for this Fall. Shooters often say their xyz broadhead shoots just like their fieldpoints, the SlingBlade does for me, and needs no dental bands to hold the blades in place.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good information....Thank you! You really shouldn't need a dental band if you have the Crossbow rated Spitfires though. I'd have tried them without a band just to see if they stayed closed or not. I have a Viper as well, and I bought the XB Spitfires, the Dead Ringer X-Nasty's, and will likely buy either one of the NC (No collar) Rage's, or the TruGlo Titanium X. I figure i should come out with a consistent performer out of those. I try to only buy BH's that have a blade lock feature or practice heads available though. I pretty much refuse to buy heads that I have to waste blades to practice with. By the same token, I also really try not to buy heads that require a band or collar. The one exception I would make to buying heads that use an o-ring would be the Sevr line of heads.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Kudos for doing your tests and coming up with the solution for your setup.
Agree, it's a value add for others. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
209 Posts
I am suprised that the slicktricks only shot a 5'' group at 30 yards.. And that the thunderheads shot better...

What vanes are you using ? And are they offset or helical ? Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
131 Posts
I usually don't worry anymore if my broadheads hit the same as my field points I switch over to a broadhead target and shoot a regular broadhead that I use for practice and dial my crossbow with my #1 and #2 arrows. The Truglo Titanium X that I'm shooting does a fantastic job and you can use one of these as a practice head and shoot it over and over with no issues. It sounds like you have found the broadhead that is working great for you, I'd stick with what gives you the most confidence while you're hunting. Good luck this season

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am suprised that the slicktricks only shot a 5'' group at 30 yards.. And that the thunderheads shot better...

What vanes are you using ? And are they offset or helical ? Thanks, Ron
I am using TenPoint EVO-X Centerpunch arrows. Not sure of the vane brand, they are 1.5 degrees offset. My Viper is shooting the 470 grain arrow at 362 fps over my chronograph. I was suprised too, as the slick tricks have a smaller blade profile. The Thunderheads and Slick Tricks were pretty close accuracy wise.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am using TenPoint EVO-X Centerpunch arrows. Not sure of the vane brand, they are 1.5 degrees offset. My Viper is shooting the 470 grain arrow at 362 fps over my chronograph. I was suprised too, as the slick tricks have a smaller blade profile. The Thunderheads and Slick Tricks were pretty close accuracy wise.
The CP Evo X arrows are built with Bohning Blazer vanes fyi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts