Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With today's bows getting faster and faster , targets are a big thing to think about when wanting to stop an arrow . especially when they get a little wore out , heck i can bury the fletching if i hit in the wrong area on my 2 year old spyder web target .

I wonder if any one in the industry is looking at a more blunt field point ?
I mean we are going to put holes in targets ,but not sure a more blunt head would open up a target more than a semi blunt head .
Maybe we can get Jerry to re engineer his stainless points or get some made for speed bows that are more blunt .
What do you guy's think ?

·
Crossbow Nut
5,717 Posts
Bullet tips... Those stainless steel sharp tips BURN a target up... and melt the arrow in...
Right Randy, notice a huge difference in target life and penetration using bullet points. No harm to arrow shafts, but I shoot aluminum, can't say about the others.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I've purchased two of these for Christmas. Rated up to 600fps. Haven't used yet. Price is impressive, almost to good to be true on Amazon. 25" target going for $37, free shipping with Amazon Prime.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put my old blob tight to the back of my spydereeb or I burry the fletches
Yup !! now what if we had a slightly more blunt tip that would reduce penetration !!
i bet target life would be prolonged ,or would it push the target stuffing to the back of the target ,IDK .
i know i have to stomp the heck out of my spyder web once in awhile .

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would a blunt tip be harder on arrow shafts?
I think blunt is not the way to go , heck they would bounce off the target , but a point with a less tapered front might reduce penetration . I do not think it would hurt an arrow at all , a blunt YES !!

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
As the taper of an arrow point is reduced, there will be less penetration, but the target cover will suffer, regardless whether one uses the box style target or the bag style. The covers that I have found to be high quality is the Spyder Web and the Morrell Extreme 3. I mainly shoot field points.

As for the Spyder Web target getting shot up, turn the target on a bit of an angle. This way there is less chance of the arrow penetrating as deep due to not hitting a previously shot hole. The target is shootable on two sides and if you rotate the target 90 degrees once in a while and use the angle shots, it will last a lot longer.

Red Games Line Pattern Design

Due to living in town, I am shooting my Barnett Ghost 410 in my shop at 17 1/2 feet from the front of the riser to the front of the target. This crossbow is shooting the 20" Carbon Express Pile Driver 450 grain arrow-point combination averaging 420 to 423 feet per second.
The red dots on the enclosed target picture are 1/2". When you click on the picture of the target to enlarge it, you will see 4 each one inch squares inside the 2" heavy lined square. In each one inch square I end up putting a 3/4" dot and shoot 8 arrows before retrieving them. I shoot 4 arrows in one row say using either the red dots or suppose I shoot the left top corner of the main two inch square. I then drop down a to the next 2" square of rows and shoot the next 4 arrows. All my arrows are a minimum of 2" apart.

Counting the red dots give a total of 20 spots. Each 2" square shooting a 3/4" dot in the small 1" squares will give another 80 spots. On this 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of card stock computer paper, I can have a total of 100 spots. I use card stock because it is tougher paper and does not rip as easily. When replacing this target, I install the new one next to it.

My Spyder Web ST 24 XL No Speed Limit target is listed as 15" thick x 24" x 24" and weighs 62 pound. The box frame is actually 12". This target bulges out in the center so it can average 12" at the edge to 15" thick as one nears the center. This is a very high quality target, very well packed with tough material.

All the best.

·
Vendor
1,616 Posts
I'm thinking a hybrid target would be the way to go. I have had an idea for some time

So when the post started I put a call into my friend kelly at spider web. When he gets back to me next week we will put our heads together and see if we can come up with a hybrid

I have considered changing the profile of my SS match grade bullet points for some time but haven't come up with which direction to go

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm thinking a hybrid target would be the way to go. I have had an idea for some time

So when the post started I put a call into my friend kelly at spider web. When he gets back to me next week we will put our heads together and see if we can come up with a hybrid

I have considered changing the profile of my SS match grade bullet points for some time but haven't come up with which direction to go
I think you should come out with a top hat version for competition. It is going the opposite way of the spirit of this thread, but hitting another arrow and glancing out of the scoring ring is frustrating.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i took some 150 grn points and cut them down and matched them at 100 grn's each .
went out and shot them through all my bows in a range from 350 fps up to 405 fps and was pleasantly surprised at the reduced penetration they offer , and accuracy was stellar !! the 3 on the right are the ones i made .
One other trick i found that helps is to turn the target 20 degrees or less of off squair to the shooter ,
this helped with penetration , as it sent the arrows in on different angles . i just turned it side to side every 20 shots or so .
Metal Silver

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.