Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster here. I have been shooting a ten point (305 fps) for many years, with NAP Thunderhead 100 gr fixed blades. Same weight and accuracy as field tips. Last year I clean missed a deer at a dead easy 40 yards from a rest (bolt dropped significantly) for no reason. Checked the scope, used same bolt, field tips fly perfectly at 20,30,40, but Thunderheads have started flying 3" low at 30 yd, 6" low at 40. Switched to NAP Spitfire 3 blade mechanical, same issue. Switched to NAP ******* fixed blades - no fix. Figured I have lost speed over 8 years, so I replaced the string - no love. Got new bolts - still no joy.

So I am frustrated and out of ideas: both flew consistently for years; however, now field tips fly consistent with my reticles all yards but 3 different broadheads, all same weight as field tips, both fixed and mechanical, are dropping significantly.

So I figured I'd turn to the pros, from whom I've learned so much over the years. I know this is probably the the oldest problem in the book, so there must be an answer by now. Can anyone help with what's going on here? Or in the absence of that, can anyone recommend a broadhead that flies same as field tips - with some proof? I'm considering upgrading to faster bow (400 fps), but don't want the same issue with new bow. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you put your field tips and broad heads on a scale to verify they are the same weight? Just to make sure you aren't shooting lighter field points. Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause that since you've replaced everything else. I did just get in a pack of Thorn HPX broad heads. Going to site them this weekend but from the way they look they should fly very close to field tips.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Broadhead alignment can also adversely affect accuracy. Make sure your broadheads are square with the arrow by using a spinner and seeing if theres wobble or if the point stays in the same spot.

·
3,224 Posts
The easiest “right now” fix is just to sight in with your broadheads and don’t worry about the field points. Some will say that broadheads and field points will never shoot together. That has not been my experience at all. All 3 of the bows I have ready to hunt will shoot broadheads and field points into the same 1-1 1/2” spot out to 40 yards. A 300 FPS crossbow should not be too difficult when it comes to getting heads to shoot well. Something is going on. If your broadheads shoot into a consistent spot, just low compared to the field points, your arrows are probably leaving the bow a bit point low/tail high for some reason. If they are not shooting consistently, then spinning them for alignment as Ghnami said is important. Having enough fletching control is sometimes a factor too. Get your broadheads sighted in so no more low misses for now. Whatever new bow you get will be a law unto itself, and require it’s own testing and solutions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello All,
Many thanks for the good advice. I don't have a lot of high tech bow stuff since I've been trusting the manufacturer's to do what they say (since back when they did). So I dug up my kid's digital science project scale and weighed the ft's, and found each one was bang on 100 gr. However, I did find something interesting: each broadhead weighed anywhere from 95 gr, to 107. Rage *******: 95, NAP spitfire (3 blade mech): 105, NAP Thunderhead 100: 107. All new BH, but that's a pretty big spread in my mind, but is it enough to create the massive drops?

To answer the other points, yes, all FT are within 3" spread, all broadheads are consistently low, but I'd need to get really precise to figure the spread and my block is getting destroyed by these BH shots and I'm getting a bit nervous about wear and tear on the mechanicals.

I'll try picking up a spinner. I can also re-fletch with natural feather vanes (like I used to on my upright).

JOE PA - your points seem very sensible, maybe just sight in with broadheads and buy another target, but I agree - bow shot bang on and killed many deer for years. I've even shot deer past the 40 yd reticle because I know it shoots consistently 13" low at 50 yd but now I've missed a couple deer by significant margins at 30. Something's going on here, and I want to get to the bottom of it, because I even if I do get another bow, I would keep this as a backup or sell it and I won't sell something that broke. Its just against my fabric. Will update later.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
My advice is to pick one brand that the arrows with broadheads are very close in weight.
Now if you plan to shoot broadheads, sight in with those.
Check cam timing in the uncocked and cocked position. Advancing the cams with increase
arrow speed in feet per second. Axle to axle measurement is just a guide line as per your
manual. Advancing cams or if the string and cables came in a bit different lengths, this will
change your axle to axle measurements.
Suppose you advanced the cams. This will lessen the axle to axle measurement. Now if
you are concerned because the axle to axle does not match the suggested axle to axle
measurement, one takes equal 1/2 or full twists out of the cables. One has now undone
what they did to increase speed by advancing the cams.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Ignore people who say ignore the issue. Obviously there is a problem.
You say that (for years) you have had no issues and suddenly you do and nothing added makes the issue any different.
This screams mechanical on the part of the bow.
I suspect something has changed which is giving you a tail high exit off the bow. Check all bolts for tightness and check for wear in/on the receiver/track/deck. Check for cam play at the axle pins and cam alignment in general, with the string/cables off the bow. Check everything. Look for wear everywhere.

Things dont just change.

Reactions: RobertBonner

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe it is your bow that has a problem. Get a friend to shoot your bolts that don't fly right from their bow. If They fly right it is your bow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RobertBonner, that's an extremely sensible idea. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of it earlier. Will do this weekend. Over the last few weeks in discussing this with friends, they seem to remember me having the string replaced before I started having problems, so perhaps they did something at the shop and the bow has lost speed. Still wouldn't think that would account for difference in FT vs BH - I would think they would all fly low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts