Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my high school buddies that's been hunting all his life finally bought a crossbow, a Tenpoint Vapor so, he could get out for Spring Gobbler here in Pennsylvania this year. So I got into contact with him right away and asked him if I could come along so I could learn some more about hunting turkeys. He is picking me up this Saturday morning at 5 AM, said be ready. I'm psyched guys.... I really need to get outdoors and learn more about hunting these turkey. I'm taking my good old Nemesis 480 along for the trip. Wish me luck and if there's anything any of you more experienced hunters here think I need to be reminded about, lay it on me. My buddy Todd is really good at hunting. He does it all ! Pheasant hunting and deer hunting mostly. He just got a bow again to get some turkey this year and this is really good for me because now I've got the chance to supply him with strings and knowledge about crossbows in exchange for hunting mentoring, I guess you can call it. It all works out in the end.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's awesome Marty! Happy for you. Good luck! I would watch some videos on shot placement so you are ready. It can be tricky to know where to aim on them with a bow especially if they are strutting. I will be going out Saturday as well but calling for a friend and my daughter's boy friend. It is his first time out so excited to see what happens!

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
813 Posts
All right Marty! Glad to hear you have someone to turkey hunt with. Good luck out there. This is such a great time of year to be in the woods.

Good luck to you and yours as well One eyed archer.

I will be out with my daughter on Sat. for our spring turkey youth day. We are stoked!
Be safe out there
Oncebitten

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
All right Marty! Glad to hear you have someone to turkey hunt with. Good luck out there. This is such a great time of year to be in the woods.

Good luck to you and yours as well One eyed archer.

I will be out with my daughter on Sat. for our spring turkey youth day. We are stoked!
Be safe out there
Oncebitten
Thanks! Good luck to you and your daughter as well! I hope to get one gobbling like crazy for him being his first time going for them. Nothing better than a thunder chicken rocking the woods to get the heart pumping! I gave him slate and mouth calls for Easter so he could practice. I will be doing all the calling but I just wanted him to practice and in turn drive my daughter nuts. 😉 Which by her reports he has been doing just that. 🤣 He is a good kid though. So blessed to have him in my daughters life. They make a great pair!

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
They can see movement even better than deer so gotta sit still or get busted.

It is a lot of fun just being out there.

·
10,863 Posts
Permethrin ... I suggest you treat your clothes and boots with it TODAY because you'll likely be sitting on the ground with your back against a tree. (so you don't get shot)...lol The fleas & ticks will be looking for some blood.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Permethrin ... I suggest you treat your clothes and boots with it TODAY because you'll likely be sitting on the ground with your back against a tree. (so you don't get shot)...lol The fleas & ticks will be looking for some blood.
AGREED 1000 percent!!!
The ticks seem to be really bad this year...I was scouting birds last Friday and Sunday in Northeast PA and they were EVERYWHERE!
Treated all my gear with Sawyers yesterday and let them dry... hopefully that helps some.

I'll be taking my shotgun for birds, scr#w that bow sh*t.. LoL! Still looking for just my second Spring turkey in over 20 years of trying.
Sit still, listen, don't move too much or at all. Just because they don't answer to a call doesn't mean they're not coming.
Patience I'm told has killed more birds than anything...
Best of luck and be safe!!!!

·
10,863 Posts
AGREED 1000 percent!!!
The ticks seem to be really bad this year...I was scouting birds last Friday and Sunday in Northeast PA and they were EVERYWHERE!
Treated all my gear with Sawyers yesterday and let them dry... hopefully that helps some.

I'll be taking my shotgun for birds, scr#w that bow sh*t.. LoL! Still looking for just my second Spring turkey in over 20 years of trying.
Sit still, listen, don't move too much or at all. Just because they don't answer to a call doesn't mean they're not coming.
Patience I'm told had killed more birds than anything...
LOL ... I'm right with you on that crossbow vs shotgun. I believe in using the most efficient weapon allowed to accomplish your objective. I'd be head shooting turkeys at 150 yards with a .22-250 if they'd let me...lol :p 😂

Reactions: Tnmtns and Martymig

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I think that about everyone serious about spring gobbler hunting should start with a shotgun unless they are going to be sitting in a blind then it becomes a lot easier to use a bow. I killed a truck load of them before I ever seriously thought about killing one with a bow.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
AGREED 1000 percent!!!

Patience I'm told has killed more birds than anything...
Where in Northeast PA were you scouting? I haven't seen a tick yet this year and usually my cats are loaded with them by now. My property is always crawling with ticks. I figured the bad winter with snow cover the whole time must have thinned the herd. With that said I do treat my clothes with Sawyers permethrin and wear rubber boots. Since I have started doing that I haven't had a tick latched onto me. The stuff flat out works! Just be sure to follow the instructions.

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You will need to be in good camo from head to feet. You are going to have to have a camo face mask also.
When a deer sees a man sitting dead still in the woods he thinks it is a stump. When a spring gobbler sees a stump in the woods he wonders if it is a man. Don't get caught moving...... :)
Thank you Bob ! Yes, I read up and studied about it and know that turkey are pretty smart. I have full body camo that I bought a few years ago. I have multiple style face masks to choose from. I even bought the camo make up kit.....lol..

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was such short .notice and I was almost not going to contact my buddy and wait until I had more time to prepare for it but, then I thought to myself.....do I really need more time to prepare...? It's only been since 2016 I've been preparing to get out too hunt.....lol..... just do it !
I'm getting everything together right now in between building strings for my customers. I have all my camos I plan to wear hanging outside to blow any smell out of them from being hung in the closet. I'm running up Dunhams tomorrow to get a few last minute things I need, like a license..... and I'm heading up to the range to take a few test shots to make sure I'm sited in to zero and for added confidence.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Where in Northeast PA were you scouting? I haven't seen a tick yet this year and usually my cats are loaded with them by now. My property is always crawling with ticks. I figured the bad winter with snow cover the whole time must have thinned the herd. With that said I do treat my clothes with Sawyers permethrin and wear rubber boots. Since I have started doing that I haven't had a tick latched onto me. The stuff flat out works! Just be sure to follow the instructions.
Eastern Monroe County and Southwestern Pike County..just above Stroudsburg...
I didn't even really get off the beaten paths so to speak! I picked 5 off the dog on my drive home..
I thought the same as you, finally had a decent Winter but I see that didn't matter one bit.
I just drug a dead buck off the grass in a common area in my townhome development into a thick poweline. I had close to 10 crawling up my sweat pants..WTH!!!

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
It was such short .notice and I was almost not going to contact my buddy and wait until I had more time to prepare for it but, then I thought to myself.....do I really need more time to prepare...? It's only been since 2016 I've been preparing to get out too hunt.....lol..... just do it !
I'm getting everything together right now in between building strings for my customers. I have all my camos I plan to wear hanging outside to blow any smell out of them from being hung in the closet. I'm running up Dunhams tomorrow to get a few last minute things I need, like a license..... and I'm heading up to the range to take a few test shots to make sure I'm sited in to zero and for added confidence.
No need really. Turkeys could cars less about how you smell.
I hope that y'all at least get on a loud mouthed gobbler that gobbles a lot. A kill is just the climax. The hunt is the game and nothing much matches a nice gobbler gobbling his fool head off for getting the blood flowing (maybe an Elk).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Eastern Monroe County and Southwestern Pike County..just above Stroudsburg...
I didn't even really get off the beaten paths so to speak! I picked 5 off the dog on my drive home..
I thought the same as you, finally had a decent Winter but I see that didn't matter one bit.
I just drug a dead buck off the grass in a common area in my townhome development into a thick poweline. I had close to 10 crawling up my sweat pants..WTH!!!
Aww man. That sounds like the place is infested bad! I have thought about getting 20 guinea hens to let roam free on my property to keep them down but I don't think I could stand the racket! 😬

1 - 20 of 237 Posts