Crossbow Nation banner

181 - 200 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Oh geez.... Good luck, I sure hope you find him..
I'm "recovering" from my 2nd dose of the Phizer vaccine... pretty good fever and chills starting around midnight... tossed and turned all night.
Now a headache, probably from lack of sleep, and everything hurts.. LoL 🤣

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Welllll...I hit a nice long beard. Shot it right in the chest. Gizzard crap all over the place and a blood trail thru the woods like I smacked a deer. Followed the blood trail for at least 300 yards with no turkey. Coming back this afternoon after fishing to look some more. Can't believe how much blood came out of that turkey and it isn't dead yet. Its gotta be right? Stay tuned...
From your previous posts this morning, I figured you would finally connect. unfortunately, not a happy ending, at this point. 300 yards is certainly a long distance, Best of luck on recovery.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have never really heard any stories about people having to track wounded turkeys, however most stories I hear are with shotguns and birds dropped in their tracks. From what you describe, that much blood and beyond 300 yards is really unbelievable. Maybe you have some more hunting time and will finally connect. Turkey 🦃hunting in the morning, fishing trout 🐟 and limiting out in the afternoon, back in the woods later tracking, definitely living the good life. :) (y)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have never really heard any stories about people having to track wounded turkeys, however most stories I hear are with shotguns and birds dropped in their tracks. From what you describe, that much blood and beyond 300 yards is really unbelievable. Maybe you have some more hunting time and will finally connect. Turkey 🦃hunting in the morning, fishing trout 🐟 and limiting out in the afternoon, back in the woods later tracking, definitely living the good life. :) (y)
It was definitely a great day other than the cloud hanging over my head not getting that tom. He was a dandy. Never in a million years would I have imagined that much blood could come out of a turkey which I always thought didnt have much blood!?
If it wasn't for my stupid eye I would have had a shotgun and this story may have ended differently. Crossbow turkey is definitely a challenge!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Oh geez.... Good luck, I sure hope you find him..
I'm "recovering" from my 2nd dose of the Phizer vaccine... pretty good fever and chills starting around midnight... tossed and turned all night.
Now a headache, probably from lack of sleep, and everything hurts.. LoL 🤣
Hope you get feeling better 98! I got lucky and had no side effects other than a sore arm from the Phizer shot.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Last season the first gobbler i shot, he was about 15yds. Slightly quatering away after walkin right by my blind comming from behind me. I shot him right behind his wing but with a 430gr. Ex.bee with a wasp dart 4blade that usually makes quick work of a deer. At the shot it knocked him over frontwards and he was flopping all over the place, just as i was getting put of the blind he somehow got to his feet and got into the air up through thick grapvines and all and was still carrying the arrow and iam sure glided to his resting spot.
One though bird thats for certain. I looked for him on and off for 3days with no luck. I did get some relief knowing the second one survived i seen him out in the field about 3 days later. Funny thing is the Gobblers i have shot back in the Vertical days didn't go anywhere, i call it the Crossbow Curse, but iam not giving up.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Last season the first gobbler i shot, he was about 15yds. Slightly quatering away after walkin right by my blind comming from behind me. I shot him right behind his wing but with a 430gr. Ex.bee with a wasp dart 4blade that usually makes quick work of a deer. At the shot it knocked him over frontwards and he was flopping all over the place, just as i was getting put of the blind he somehow got to his feet and got into the air up through thick grapvines and all and was still carrying the arrow and iam sure glided to his resting spot.
One though bird thats for certain. I looked for him on and off for 3days with no luck. I did get some relief knowing the second one survived i seen him out in the field about 3 days later. Funny thing is the Gobblers i have shot back in the Vertical days didn't go anywhere, i call it the Crossbow Curse, but iam not giving up.
I only ever got one hen with my verticle bow in late season. Shot it out of a treestand right thru the neck into its vitals and pinned to the ground. That is the only turkey bow kill I have ever had. Plenty with a shotgun but that's not an option any more. The more I think about it and after watching a few videos I think I shot a touch low. If the 2 blade Rage went in sideways it would have probably hit below the vitals and took out the gizzard. If the broadhead would have been vertical it may have clipped the heart. Hopefully I will get a chance at redemption tomorrow and aim a little higher. Hit em high watch em die, hit em low watch em go right?.....still am stunned over that turkey making it as far as it did after the blood loss it had though. 😳

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Turkey chili and tetrazinie is what I'm talking about !
No luck this morning. I was out there from 5 am to 11 am and not even a call ! All I seen was another raccoon.... I would've shot him but. They're not in right now here in Pennsylvania.
I'm heading back out this coming Saturday. I'm not giving up !
Hey Marty, tomorrow is the big day, and I am not talking about your wedding. :D :whistle: ;) GOOD LUCK ! I'll check for pictures tomorrow morning. 🦃 (y) :)

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Thank you One Eyed Archer! I've been busy, that's for sure.. I'm getting ready right now for this mornings hunt... I'm in hopes that I'll finally get to see a turkey and blast him one with my Nemesis. I was out checking my accuracy again and I'm hitting on a dime with my set up. A Victory Xbolt with a Tooth of the Arrow 100 grain broadhead. All together the arrows 427 grains and will be traveling about 465 fps from the Nemesis 480 de-tuned ever so slightly that it's just enough to spare the center serving from being ripped apart but still regaining plenty of speed, way more than needed actually... Wish me luck.....well, if God wants me to shoot a turkey today, He will send one my way, I guess....

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Hey Marty, tomorrow is the big day, and I am not talking about your wedding. :D :whistle: ;) GOOD LUCK ! I'll check for pictures tomorrow morning. 🦃 (y) :)
👍

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Thank you One Eyed Archer! I've been busy, that's for sure.. I'm getting ready right now for this mornings hunt... I'm in hopes that I'll finally get to see a turkey and blast him one with my Nemesis. I was out checking my accuracy again and I'm hitting on a dime with my set up. A Victory Xbolt with a Tooth of the Arrow 100 grain broadhead. All together the arrows 427 grains and will be traveling about 465 fps from the Nemesis 480 de-tuned ever so slightly that it's just enough to spare the center serving from being ripped apart but still regaining plenty of speed, way more than needed actually... Wish me luck.....well, if God wants me to shoot a turkey today, He will send one my way, I guess....
Just take a breath before the shot Marty! Live targets tend to get the blood pumping! Good luck!!!

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
584 Posts
Searched for 4 hrs this afternoon with no luck. 😣 Last blood we found was where he stood on a log bleading out 2 sides. How that bird was still alive is beyond me.
View attachment 198018

On a happier note we did catch our limits of trout today. 🙂
Where I hunt turkeys if you don't find them right away a coyote will be running off with them. A dead turkey that runs off in the brush and dies can be awfully hard to see.

·
11,268 Posts
Poor Marty ... sounds like his confidence is vacillating ...lol :unsure:;) "Turkey hunting; you gotta love it." 😂

·
Registered
580 Posts
😁 If a Turkey's could smell, they would be almost impossible to kill! Good luck on your hunt!

Reactions: One eyed archer
181 - 200 of 243 Posts