Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Had the perfect setup this morning. I had 4 gobblers on the inside corner hillside on the Roost. I had a strutter decoy out and hen decoy in the feild about 20yds. In front of me. All of these birds were above me with a perfect view of my decoys probably 100yds. from them on the roost. I'd say 2 of them went up the hill, 2 of the Other ones came to the fields edge. Put it this way they had little interest in my decoys, and walked 300yds. To the bottom of the field where i watched that gobbler yesterday. Only gobbling to a woodpecker hammering a hollow tree right behind me at times. By 9am. I was soaked from blowing rain. I had fun anyways, Maybe tommorow....i got a text from a fellow hunter friend of mine he missed 2 today with his Shotgun he's looking for answers....lol.
The more reports I have been hearing the last couple of years, and more so this year, I am beginning to think the Toms are becoming decoy and possibly call shy. I always thought to my self years ago, when a tom sees a decoy for a extended period of time, without the decoy moving, wouldn't they think something is wrong?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
View attachment 197856

LOL ... you guys are a riot. Must be great being a turkey hunter. There's so much glee and boastin about lack of success, Lord only knows the eruption if any of yez actually anchor one. Spect yezid all be like a bunch of Pee-wee Herman's doing an Indian dance around the campfire. 😂
View attachment 197857 View attachment 197858
Duke, Just my opinion, if you tried eating a wild turkey, you too would brag more about not shooting one. ;)

OK, all the rest of you guys, proceed to jump all over me :whistle:

·
2,232 Posts
Turkeys are a difficult prey

·
10,766 Posts
Duke, Just my opinion, if you tried eating a wild turkey, you too would brag more about not shooting one. ;)

OK, all the rest of you guys, proceed to jump all over me :whistle:
I've killed... and ate them. Yeah, ain't nothin to write home about...lol

I'm wondering the difference between a slow turkey shot and a fast turkey shot? I thought they all went around1700fps? :p

Haven't heard from tpcollins lately. I'm thinking he's think tanking a new strategy. 😂

How long does turkey season run? I'm just wondering how long you guys have to subject yourselves to this vicissitude & frustration? Thing that has me puzzled is yezall actually seem to savor the suffering. Almost perverted...lol I think there's a name for it ... sadomasochism.:oops:;) It is pretty entertaining for the rest of us though. Thanks for sharing.:)

Speaking of sharing, whadda your Sheilas have to say about your turkey killing acumen? By now I think you'd be sneaking out of the house with your bowling ball for afternoon sits or golf clubs for early morning hunts so she wouldn't ask any questions when you got home. Leaving your turkey rig at your friend's shed or garage. You won't have to explain the abysmal success rate. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

All this from a scrawny bird and a "pea size brain?" Embarrassing I tellya, just embarrassing. :cool:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

I'm wondering the difference between a slow turkey shot and a fast turkey shot? I thought they all went around1700fps? :p

Haven't heard from tpcollins lately. I'm thinking he's think tanking a new strategy. 😂

How long does turkey season run? I'm just wondering how long you guys have to subject yourselves to this vicissitude & frustration? Thing that has me puzzled is yezall actually seem to savor the suffering. Almost perverted...lol I think there's a name for it ... sadomasochism.:oops:;) It is pretty entertaining for the rest of us though. Thanks for sharing.:)

Speaking of sharing, whadda your Sheilas have to say about your turkey killing acumen? By now I think you'd be sneaking out of the house with your bowling ball for afternoon sits or golf clubs for early morning hunts so she wouldn't ask any questions when you got home. Leaving your turkey rig at your friend's shed or garage. You won't have to explain the abysmal success rate. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

All this from a scrawny bird and a "pea size brain?" Embarrassing I tellya, just embarrassing. :cool:

View attachment 197896
Little Rodney Dangerfield Duke. U crack me Up ....lol...ive Got some more good excuses comming up iam sure...lol. The only thing i heard the Turkeys gobbling to today we're the guys on the Timber crew across the hollow, yes now timbering in the hollow iam hunting. They were gobbling to tree's hitting the ground, when the cutter was using his wedges in. And when he poured the coal to the Skider. The only thing they didn't gobble too was a turkey call....lol.

·
10,766 Posts
Little Rodney Dangerfield Duke. U crack me Up ....lol...ive Got some more good excuses comming up iam sure...lol. The only thing i heard the Turkeys gobbling to today we're the guys on the Timber crew across the hollow, yes now timbering in the hollow iam hunting. They were gobbling to tree's hitting the ground, when the cutter was using his wedges in. And when he poured the coal to the Skider. The only thing they didn't gobble too was a turkey call....lol.
You can't ... make this stuff up...lol Priceless! 😂 Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, but with a 100% failure rate, might it not be an idea to, say, try something out of the box? I'd be there tomorrow with a hammer and wedge imitating those loggers.:p:sneaky::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I don't turkey hunt anymore. Don't care for the taste and I won't shoot something I won't eat! They are tuff critters though and hats off to the "successful" hunters out there.......

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You can't ... make this stuff up...lol Priceless! 😂 Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, but with a 100% failure rate, might it not be an idea to, say, try something out of the box? I'd be there tomorrow with a hammer and wedge imitating those loggers.:p:sneaky::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 197901
Duke you are so Right, i can't be making this #### up...lol. The Gobblers are there, just gotta find one in the right mood. And i'am really likeing the Razzing, you are making it more fun than Normal. I will probably have some more Excuses tommorow for you to work with...lol

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·

View attachment 197896
Turkey chili and tetrazinie is what I'm talking about !
No luck this morning. I was out there from 5 am to 11 am and not even a call ! All I seen was another raccoon.... I would've shot him but. They're not in right now here in Pennsylvania.
I'm heading back out this coming Saturday. I'm not giving up ! I heard them, they are around but very elusive. Talked to the graveyard hand today and he says he seen about 8 of them in the open field where we park every morning! It won't be long and I'll be posting a dead turkey here with a big grin on my ugly mug.....lol....

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
View attachment 197901
I'm going to get that wraskely bugger and make turkey soup !

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I don't turkey hunt anymore. Don't care for the taste and I won't shoot something I won't eat! They are tuff critters though and hats off to the "successful" hunters out there.......
The very first turkey I shot was a jake. We prepared it cut up in a slo cooker. Now usually you can put a piece of plywood in a slo cooker, and it will come out tender, but not this jake. We have tried different ways over the years, and have come to two methods. Smoking the breasts, or going to the supermarket when butterballs are on sale. Actually there is a third option, if I shoot one, I can give to a friend of mine who will eat anything.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
In Wisconsin there is six separate one week periods starting in late April thru early June. A person has to apply for license by desired period and zone in early December. A later drawing is held to determine if successful. Usually a person draws a license of choice. Additionally there will be leftover tags for later periods that do not sell out by drawing process. Those can be purchased first come first served in mid March. Usually, myself and friends apply and draw second period, and are able to buy a fourth period leftover tag. That gives us plenty of time to check wood tick populations.

One last thing. Duke, Gol Darn It, you have to refrain from using so many words I have to look up. :confused: :unsure: Most of my high school time was spent in woodworking shop. :) Geez Wiz anyways. ;)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The very first turkey I shot was a jake. We prepared it cut up in a slo cooker. Now usually you can put a piece of plywood in a slo cooker, and it will come out tender, but not this jake. We have tried different ways over the years, and have come to two methods. Smoking the breasts, or going to the supermarket when butterballs are on sale. Actually there is a third option, if I shoot one, I can give to a friend of mine who will eat anything.
Nobody I know likes them either! Can't give them things away around here, LOL.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
We eat them at my house. Breast on grill. My wife likes turkey chili so that's usually what happens. I'm too busy right now to get out. My daughter said dad there are 2 turkey in the back yard can I shoot one. My neighbors chickens occasionally wander into our yard. She would lose her mind.

·
2,232 Posts
My wife (I'm not allowed to touch anything in the kitchen) cuts the breast up in 1" squares, marinades it in Spicy Italian Salad Dressing over night and BBQs them. Finger licking good! Turkey just tastes like turkey.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts