Crossbow Nation banner

141 - 160 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Your making me hungry guys ! So many good options here to cook them up. Thank you !

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
We eat them at my house. Breast on grill. My wife likes turkey chili so that's usually what happens. I'm too busy right now to get out. My daughter said dad there are 2 turkey in the back yard can I shoot one. My neighbors chickens occasionally wander into our yard. She would lose her mind.
That's pretty funny..... she wants to shoot the neighbors chickens.....hahahaha

·
11,268 Posts
Okay, few more ... thoughts:
#1. Anything you have to dice and cube into little chunks so the knife does 90% of what your teeth are supposed to do?... that's not a good sign...lol😂
#2. Furthermore, if you have to "marinate" something for a week to break down it's fibers, that's not a testimonial for edibility either. :unsure:
#3. Further yet, if you have to mask the palatability of a fowl with 5 alarm chili that numbs all your senses, tears your eyes closed, has you hyperventilating and gasping for breath? THAT's your reward for finally killing a turkey? REALLY? :oops::rolleyes:
#4. I'm wondering when you defecate, are these turkey cubes coming out the same size and shape as when then went in? If so, it would be cheaper and easier to just cube up an old broadhead target and use that as the main ingredient in your marinate and chili. This way you can use it over and over. :p

You guys have some serious issues justifying shooting these things to eat. Sounds to me there should be a Bounty on them and a shoot on sight order.😂

Reminds me of the first time I shot a goose as a young-un in the Hackensack Meadowlands. The best part was the first impression I got when it hit the water after falling what looked like 10,000 feet considering the impact and following tsunami that lifted every decoy about a foot and sent a noticeable wave crashing on the Hackensack River riverbank at my feet. After a nightmare of plunking the bird, the love of my life cooks the thing. It was so terrible my Labrador wouldn't even eat it! Stunk up the whole house...lol

I'm thinking the grotesque looking birds are more suited for fertilizer under your tomato plants. My Italian grandfather used to take me fishing in the Hudson River. Back then it was a body count as much as taking what you need. After getting back with wooden bushel baskets of fish, and after giving away as much bounty as possible to all the multitudinous relatives and neighbors, whatever was left was buried in the vegetable garden.:sneaky:

I think Gene from Crossbow Magazine killed one with his OracleX scope in another thread. I asked him to stop over and give yez some lessons. All I heard back was the sound of crickets. Apparently the chummy brotherhood of turkey hunters only extends to those who TRY to kill them, not the guys who ACTUALLY kill them.😂;)

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
838 Posts
We eat em here too. I treat them like any barnyard birds I butcher and eat. I always age em a day, preferably two before cooking. Aging makes the meat a lot more tender. Also brining helps. Jake's or young hens get cut into strips and breaded then fried. Not quite as tender as my homegrown turkeys or broilers but very tasty. When I first started raising broilers I butchered one and an hour later we put it in the oven. That bird was tough enough to be bulletproof. I now age my birds for 48 hours in a blue barrel with cold water. The difference is night and day.

Take care and good luck
Oncebitten

·
11,268 Posts
We eat em here too. I treat them like any barnyard birds I butcher and eat. I always age em a day, preferably two before cooking. Aging makes the meat a lot more tender. Also brining helps. Jake's or young hens get cut into strips and breaded then fried. Not quite as tender as my homegrown turkeys or broilers but very tasty. When I first started raising broilers I butchered one and an hour later we put it in the oven. That bird was tough enough to be bulletproof. I now age my birds for 48 hours in a blue barrel with cold water. The difference is night and day.

Take care and good luck
Oncebitten
So ... you gotta drown these things too? ... after you shot them dead? I'm thinking a wood chipper with a catch bag over the discharge chute might be the first action of a turkey recipe...lol

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Duke...I'm taking tomorrow off to hunt in the morning. Maybe with some minimal skill and a whole lotta luck I will have something to post on here for ya! Time to turn the SWAT into a Turkey Swatter! On that note...going fishing in the afternoon and plan on having a lot more success doing that... 😉 :ROFLMAO:

·
11,268 Posts
Duke...I'm taking tomorrow off to hunt in the morning. Maybe with some minimal skill and a whole lotta luck I will have something to post on here for ya! Time to turn the SWAT into a Turkey Swatter! On that note...going fishing in the afternoon and plan on having a lot more success doing that... 😉 :ROFLMAO:
I hate ... to inject any mathematical reality here but if you just take the median weekly earnings of everybody in America you come out with $186.00 a day in wages. Not only are you going to subject yourself to all the self flagellation, vicissitudes and frustration of being outsmarted by an inedible bird with a brain the size of a pea, you're going to forfeit $186.00 for the experience? Then subject yourself to my vociferous pillaring the next day? 😂 :ROFLMAO:(y) I love you guys. I have a new outfit for youz to wear turkey hunting more befitting the experience. Costs less than $186.00.;)

Reactions: One eyed archer

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Good luck !

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
838 Posts
If us turkey hunters were too successful our season would be over in a couple days. Then our wives would surely put us to work on the "honey do list". Let's see....mow the grass or turkey hunt? Hmmm... paint the fence or turkey hunt?

Seriously though my wife has been turkey hunting with me for a while and before you question her sanity Duke I'll be up front with you. She is crazy. Batsh_t crazy.

Good luck One eyed archer on your turkey hunt.
Have a great day everybody
Oncebitten

·
Registered
656 Posts
not knowing much of hunting but... if some salt pepper and honey dosnt make it taste good, try something else

i failed twice with beef and gained lots of understanding towards indians staying away from it, altho my neighbours dogs loved it

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I hate ... to inject any mathematical reality here but if you just take the median weekly earnings of everybody in America you come out with $186.00 a day in wages. Not only are you going to subject yourself to all the self flagellation, vicissitudes and frustration of being outsmarted by an inedible bird with a brain the size of a pea, you're going to forfeit $186.00 for the experience? Then subject yourself to my vociferous pillaring the next day? 😂 :ROFLMAO:(y) I love you guys. I have a new outfit for youz to wear turkey hunting more befitting the experience. Costs less than $186.00.;)
View attachment 197932
Ha! That's what I have 5 weeks of vacation for. Gotta take it sometime. Might as well torture myself! And..no...way in hell would that outfit ever be on this body...I'm a little scared of it myself and can't imagine how scary I would look in it!! 😬

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If us turkey hunters were too successful our season would be over in a couple days. Then our wives would surely put us to work on the "honey do list". Let's see....mow the grass or turkey hunt? Hmmm... paint the fence or turkey hunt?

Seriously though my wife has been turkey hunting with me for a while and before you question her sanity Duke I'll be up front with you. She is crazy. Batsh_t crazy.

Good luck One eyed archer on your turkey hunt.
Have a great day everybody
Oncebitten
That's too funny OB! 😂 I think they are all batsh_t crazy! Fits right in with Duke's perception of us turkey hunters...😃
Thanks!

·
11,268 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No, new material for Duke today, Rained out today...lol. I have ate, cooked wild Turkey alot of different ways, i have even cut a pocket and stuffed the breast with homemaid stuffing and cooked them in a cooking bag, with a can of cream of mushroom or cream salary. Its prety tasty that way. But the only thing I've ate this year is CROW...LOL.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
No, new material for Duke today, Rained out today...lol. I have ate, cooked wild Turkey alot of different ways, i have even cut a pocket and stuffed the breast with homemaid stuffing and cooked them in a cooking bag, with a can of cream of mushroom or cream salary. Its prety tasty that way. But the only thing I've ate this year is CROW...LOL.
It sounds like you turkey hunters are afraid of a little rain? See it's not hard to find something to jab at, even when you don't go, LOL.

At least you will eat that bird! All stuffed,bagged,drowned in gravey.......

Reactions: Iron Duke and JCAT

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It sounds like you turkey hunters are afraid of a little rain? See it's not hard to find something to jab at, even when you don't go, LOL.

At least you will eat that bird! All stuffed,bagged,drowned in gravey.......
You got that right...lol. I was cooped in the blind yesterday till 11, i didn't feel like being in it Today, but it's supposed to be a decent day tommorow, a little cooler but no Rain. Ya iam shure Duke will find something...lol.

·
11,268 Posts
Sounds to me ... like the best thing to stuff a turkey with is a grenade. 😂

141 - 160 of 243 Posts