Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bow to a shop in Clarksville, Va. today. They have a nice indoor range. 20 yards it’s dead-on! Bought some new arrows and a few things. I told the lady in there that it was my first time in there. This seemed to offend her, and she said “Why did you come in here today, then?” “Because I have never been in here before”, I said! She did know what she was doing, though, despite having a somewhat abrasive personality. Nice shop with lots of stock and inventory. That Accu-Draw 50 works great.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Took the bow to a shop in Clarksville, Va. today. They have a nice indoor range. 20 yards it’s dead-on! Bought some new arrows and a few things. I told the lady in there that it was my first time in there. This seemed to offend her, and she said “Why did you come in here today, then?” “Because I have never been in here before”, I said! She did know what she was doing, though, despite having a somewhat abrasive personality. Nice shop with lots of stock and inventory. That Accu-Draw 50 works great.
I had a similar experience with a shop I went to about 2 years ago. The clerk was very short with me and condescending. I never went back.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some people are just that way I guess. As long as they do a good job I dont mind dealing with their quirks. However I would always be looking for someone else with a better attitude towards customers. Competent and abrasive is better than cheery and incompetent any day.
Oncebitten

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm getting old and crotchety, myself. And somewhere, through the years I LOST the ability to just stand there while someone berates me. Not bragging because I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse but I'm a pretty quick thinker on my feet. And more times than not, by the time I leave the shop the clerk/owner is the one that feels 2 inches tall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! This shop is the only one that I know of. It’s almost an hour away. I did read their reviews, and the consensus is that they are good, and most said they were friendly. I spent a hundred bucks and thanked them, and never even got a “thanks” or cordial reply back. One thing I noticed was that they were transplanted Yankees, so I “chalked” it up to that. Southern Hospitality and friendliness is slowly leaving the area, with good old people dying and strangers buying their property. That just makes me appreciate my 90 acres of solitude a lot more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting old and crotchety, myself. And somewhere, through the years I LOST the ability to just stand there while someone berates me. Not bragging because I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse but I'm a pretty quick thinker on my feet. And more times than not, by the time I leave the shop the clerk/owner is the one that feels 2 inches tall.
Yes. I’m generally a jovial person, but being in a good mood most of the time, I am opinionated, also. The older I get, the less crap I take, also.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Been in Clarksville a few times many years ago. Used to fish some at Buggs Island. Haven't been back in a while

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been in Clarksville a few times many years ago. Used to fish some at Buggs Island. Haven't been back in a while
The catfish have gotten huge there over the years. I used to fish there, but sold my boat some years back. Wife and I have been over there and caught some channel cats a few times from the bank. I have sort of lost motivation to fish as I got older with failing health. The urge to hunt hasn’t gotten that bad yet, thankfully!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The catfish have gotten huge there over the years. I used to fish there, but sold my boat some years back. Wife and I have been over there and caught some channel cats a few times from the bank. I have sort of lost motivation to fish as I got older with failing health. The urge to hunt hasn’t gotten that bad yet, thankfully!
Know what you mean. I am pretty badly disabled after breaking my neck in a motorcycle accident. Neighbor has a well stocked pond about 150 yards right in front of my house. It's big. I don't know how many acres it takes to make the jump from pond to lake but this one has got to be close to that jump! Neighbor said I could fish it anytime I wanted!! Now that I thought about it, I have two other neighbors, with well stocked ponds say the same thing!! For a total of three ponds. All within 1 1/2 miles. Haven't even bothered to see if I CAN fish! Once I found out I could still shoot with a modest amount of changes made to a stock stool (like adding much more cushion to make those all day hunts A LOT more comfortable) all of my time it seems, I spend shooting. Rifles, of several different calibers to, now, shooting my crossbow!! I also have a Trac Chair and can, pretty much head to the outdoors any time I want. I can hunt completely by myself.......AND DO!! Except for one thing. I can't cock my crossbow. sigh So, after one shot I have to radio my wife and it takes her about 10 minutes to, quietly hike to my stand and recock my bow! Hmmmm. Now that I've mentioned THAT part of my hunting ritual, it makes me feel even more like less of a man. And I DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS POSSIBLE!! Eh, what am I whining about. One shot is all I need!!!😉😁

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the replies! This shop is the only one that I know of. It’s almost an hour away. I did read their reviews, and the consensus is that they are good, and most said they were friendly. I spent a hundred bucks and thanked them, and never even got a “thanks” or cordial reply back. One thing I noticed was that they were transplanted Yankees, so I “chalked” it up to that. Southern Hospitality and friendliness is slowly leaving the area, with good old people dying and strangers buying their property. That just makes me appreciate my 90 acres of solitude a lot more.
YANKEES?!! HA!! That would have made it impossible for me to even step in that shop!!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
It's everywhere...... people are becoming less respectful... I'm getting it to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Know what you mean. I am pretty badly disabled after breaking my neck in a motorcycle accident. Neighbor has a well stocked pond about 150 yards right in front of my house. It's big. I don't know how many acres it takes to make the jump from pond to lake but this one has got to be close to that jump! Neighbor said I could fish it anytime I wanted!! Now that I thought about it, I have two other neighbors, with well stocked ponds say the same thing!! For a total of three ponds. All within 1 1/2 miles. Haven't even bothered to see if I CAN fish! Once I found out I could still shoot with a modest amount of changes made to a stock stool (like adding much more cushion to make those all day hunts A LOT more comfortable) all of my time it seems, I spend shooting. Rifles, of several different calibers to, now, shooting my crossbow!! I also have a Trac Chair and can, pretty much head to the outdoors any time I want. I can hunt completely by myself.......AND DO!! Except for one thing. I can't cock my crossbow. sigh So, after one shot I have to radio my wife and it takes her about 10 minutes to, quietly hike to my stand and recock my bow! Hmmmm. Now that I've mentioned THAT part of my hunting ritual, it makes me feel even more like less of a man. And I DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS POSSIBLE!! Eh, what am I whining about. One shot is all I need!!!😉😁
Sounds like you are well-equipped. I have a 2 acre pond that I rarely fish in. Not motivated. I have a steel rod in my back, rheumatoid arthritis, COPD, and had my first seizure at age 54. That lead to another diagnosis. But like you, I still enjoy the outdoors. I use an electric golf cart to get around and hunt with, but I am very selective on what I shoot, because sometimes it’s hard to find help getting the deer out of the woods.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YANKEES?!! HA!! That would have made it impossible for me to even step in that shop!!
We live near 2 lakes(Gaston and Kerr). Those Yankees have totally taken over both lakes as well as many local farms. I have a hunting buddy who is a retired USMC Colonel. He’s one of only a few “tolerable” Yankees, but even he has his “ways”. LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's everywhere...... people are becoming less respectful... I'm getting it to.
I have noticed that, too. I always speak to people whenever I’m in town, but now, if folks don’t know you, many just look at you like you are crazy when you say “hello”. They don’t realize that I am actually “crazy”. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts