Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple of questions. I have a couple of "loose" screws on the bottom of my stock. I believe they hold the rail to my stock ? Should these screws be tightened as much as possible? I do not want to strip them. If I do tighten them will this help reduce the string to rail contact ?
My triggers have a lot of travel. I've been told that I cock my rope cocker too hard. Is this a part of the problem? I've noticed less travel when I lighten the pull when cocking. Is this my imagination? I do have a lot less string wear since I started using less pressure.
Bowhunterchuck

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Tighten up the screws a tad over hand tight but first remove them, clean them and put blue loctite on them. Over cocking can cause excessive string/serving wear on an Excalibur but I have never heard of it increasing trigger travel.
BTW, when you take those screws out pull the stock and check the two screws that hold the trigger box in place. If either is loose at all pull them and loctite them also.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tighten up the screws a tad over hand tight but first remove them, clean them and put blue loctite on them. Over cocking can cause excessive string/serving wear on an Excalibur but I have never heard of it increasing trigger travel.
BTW, when you take those screws out pull the stock and check the two screws that hold the trigger box in place. If either is loose at all pull them and loctite them also.
Thanks. Me and taking things apart don't seem to have a very good relationship. Think I will ask at the archery shop for some assistance. After I see how " easy " this is I will attempt to try this on my other bow. Thanks again.
Bowhunterchuck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is very easy to do I promise you. Just a couple of allen wrenches needed. Almost impossible to mess up.

I just sent you a PM also.
You don't know me very well...lol. I should be in the Guinness book of records for the most amount of stripped Allen heads.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
590 Posts
Use less leverage by holding an L shaped allen wrench by the bend not the end. Make sure your wrench fits snug and push it all the way into the bolt head. Nothing worse than boogered up fasteners.
Oncebitten

·
2,035 Posts
If you are stripping heads using an allen wrench use a torx wrench instead. I can usually find one that will fit.
Robert, in the 40 some odd years of being a mechanic, service manager and shop owner I have seen people that can screw up anything mechanical. You would die laughing if you were privy to some of the stories.

Reactions: bowhunterchuck

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Robert, in the 40 some odd years of being a mechanic, service manager and shop owner I have seen people that can screw up anything mechanical. You would die laughing if you were privy to some of the stories.
I am sure. I have stripped a few over the years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure some of those stories are about me..lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is very easy to do I promise you. Just a couple of allen wrenches needed. Almost impossible to mess up.

I just sent you a PM also.
Just finished checking the 2 bolts on the trigger. Everything is nice and right. The 2 bolts holding the stock on are also tight and have the blue loctite on them. And I didn't strip anything. Thanks.
Bowhunterchuck

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
590 Posts
Sounds like you are ready to go. I am counting the days too. 58 days til bear season. It looks like me and my son will get to hunt a lot this year. I am very grateful for that. Happy Independence Day bowhunterchuck
Oncebitten

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you are ready to go. I am counting the days too. 58 days til bear season. It looks like me and my son will get to hunt a lot this year. I am very grateful for that. Happy Independence Day bowhunterchuck
Oncebitten
Good to hear you will be hunting with your son. Some of my greatest hunts were with family and friends. Never shot anything....
The comradery was the excitement. The memories are priceless.
Miss those times,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been real hot in South Carolina lately but that doesn't keep me from spending time with my Grizzly....50 yards. Sevr 1.7 is ready along with my Diablos. Only 58 more days of waiting.
Bowhunterchuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts