Crossbow Nation banner

First crossbow recomendations

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Vaxbower 
#1 ·
This is my first post on crossbow nation and have been look for a crossbow. I am 64yrs young with a shoulder injury that has finely caught up with me and have to retire my compound bow ( I lost a shot at a Elk 30 yards, my shoulder locker up) so I am looking at a couple of crossbows the new assassin 400TD AND a Ravin because the interrogated crank system is important to me. I am in Kamloops BC Canada and the nearest crossbow dealer is Cabelas 3 hrs drive so maintenance and set up simplicity is very important that is why Excalibur may be a good choice for me, but I really like these Ravin bows I have seen several used R9 and R10 on line. Any help and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks ben

#2 ·
In your situation I’d definitely go with the Excalibur crossbow! But in the end it’s which you like best. Handle and try to shoot them both. Pick the one that fits your needs and wants the best! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have a couple Ravins and have worked on many. The biggest problem is the strings and cables. If you get one get a press so you can keep it in time. Archery Shack now makes a set of strings and cables that are the best IMO. The best bang for the buck is probably the R10.Shoots 400 fps. The R26 and R29 have to be partially dis assembled to press. You have to shoot their nocks on all models. There is a lot more to say but I'll keep this short. Review the Ravin website. Ask questions. Good Luck.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey neighbor! Welcome to the Nat! Another BC boy here in KTown! I've used an Excal for some years now, but just ordered a Swat.
SEW, Steve here yapped me into it!!! But I hunt a lot now from the confines of totally closed in wood blinds, so I need something more compact! Sick of those wide limbs clunk'n the walls and afraid of a limb hit'n the edge of the shoot'n window when fired...! Yikes! Could be nasty!
Liken the idea of a rail less system too! All though, some here call it 'silly'! LOL!
Tired of having to lube the rail when I can smell the string burn'n! o_O

Watch out though! Hang'n around here too much...and I'm start'n to say "y'all"!!!!:D

#7 ·
I'd recommend you give Cabelas a call to make sure you can shoot their bows then make that 3 hour trip. Spend the day and shoot as many as you can as many times as you can to help you decide on which bow to buy. If it takes you two or three trips then make those trips. Everybody here is going to give you their best opinions but it still all boils down to which fits you the best, preforms best for your expectations, and which you like the best. Good luck in your search and welcome to the boards. :)

#10 ·
GABowMan has it right... shoot both of these, and maybe take a look at some others that catch your eye as you do your research. Most guys do their research before they buy, and then once they buy, quite often they become fans of that brand and model. That's obviously a good thing because it means that there are many good choices out there! But at the end of the day, you'll want to handle the bows that you are considering before you buy.

There is a fundamental difference though, between recurves (Excal probably makes the best) and compound crossbows (everyone else). You are smart to consider both. I do not own a Ravin, but they have a strong following. Like other fast, narrow compound crossbows, they are higher maintenance, and are more difficult to service. I've committed myself to sending my Stealth NXT back to TenPoint every other year for new strings and service because these ultra fast, ultra narrow xb's really do seem to be hard on strings and servings, and definitely require service technicians who know their stuff. I'm completely happy with my purchase, but at the same time, I am on the market for an Excal recurve now too.

#11 ·
Welcome to Crossbow Nation. Crossbows like guns all have differences that individuals love for one reason or another. If you just want something that will kill a deer, elk or moose, and because of this and the fact that you are so far from any dealer, I would suggest you start out with an Excalibur. Very simple design and low maintenance.
Once you get more into crossbows and learn a little about maintenance, the world of choices comes alive.
Good luck, hunt safely today so you can hunt again tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.