Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went on my first hunt of the season with my Bear Intense. First time hunting with a xbow and I learned a few lessons.

1. I need a lighter xbow. This thing is cumbersome to carry around the hills/ mountains I hunt. I'm not using a sling because it just wont work with me carrying my stand and stick on my back.
2. I need a better quiver. I went with 3 broadheads and a field point for decocking. I made it back to the truck with 2 broadheads left. I have now clue where I lost the discharge arrow. It was very thick cover. The other broadhead has to be on my exit trail. Any suggestions for a better quiver?
3. I need a better way to hold my bow in stand. I use a lone wolf hang assault 2 hang on so the options I've found either take up too much space on my smaller platform or need a rail to mount to. Right now I'm just using a regular bow hanger it works fine but I'd like to reduce movements for shots.

Despite all that and being hunted by a few of the neighbors dogs (yes they were hunting me and anything they could catch). Hunting with an xbow is a new experience and if I had set up better I would have probably killed the biggest doe I've ever seen in East TN. She was out of range for me. Not sure why but she spooked. I hope to get another shot at her. Overall is was a fun hunt and I can't wait to get out again.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Sounds like you had an eventful first time out,LOL. Almost sounds like a normal trip for me as well......
What part of E Tn. are you hunting?

Reactions: Swampmonster

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you had an eventful first time out,LOL. Almost sounds like a normal trip for me as well......
What part of E Tn. are you hunting?
Just about the whole eastern half of the state when time allows. But since I work 7 days a week most of the time I hunt in Greene, Hawkins and Hancock counties. I hunt both private and public.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Ok,I hunt Rhea and Bledsoe Co. mainly, all private land! According to my cameras,the deer around here have went nocturnal already! Bummer bigtime....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that doe and fawn I saw came out of the bedding area 15 min before sunset. I've got a different wind tonight I'm going to try to slip in behind where they came from. I think the dogs running around this property have all the animals on edge.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah that doe and fawn I saw came out of the bedding area 15 min before sunset. I've got a different wind tonight I'm going to try to slip in behind where they came from. I think the dogs running around this property have all the animals on edge.
Good Luck hope you get her

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have a friend who compares carrying a crossbow to carrying a folding chair through the woods. Unfolded!

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I have a friend who compares carrying a crossbow to carrying a folding chair through the woods. Unfolded!
After lugging mine almost 500 yards in this morning for the 2nd day in a row without a sling I agree with him. Slings don't work well when you are packing in a treestand on your back too so I never use one.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Today I went on my first hunt of the season with my Bear Intense. First time hunting with a xbow and I learned a few lessons.

1. I need a lighter xbow. This thing is cumbersome to carry around the hills/ mountains I hunt. I'm not using a sling because it just wont work with me carrying my stand and stick on my back.
Light/compact bow? ... Excal 308 short will give you that in spades.
My suggestion (for climber) is to do what I did, which was to strap a backpack to the bottom of the stand that could carry the bow and other stuff. In this way, everything was centered and behind me. Bow in hand and stuff on the back isn't the best way.

pack.jpg

I used to lash mine to the base of my climber and leave it there. Made a great camo cover, so that deer couldn't see up though the base. Acted as a breakup IMO.
Now you just throw it up on the gate, strap it on and walk. Remove bow and jack up. Easy as that.

2. I need a better quiver. I went with 3 broadheads and a field point for decocking. I made it back to the truck with 2 broadheads left. I have now clue where I lost the discharge arrow. It was very thick cover. The other broadhead has to be on my exit trail. Any suggestions for a better quiver?
Kwikee side winder.

Use the kwikee quiver of your choice with the sidewinder. Its a belt loop quiver adapter that rotates 360 to put the arrows out of the way but well within reach. I strap the belt around the tree when I get up or occasionally I will just hang the whole rig on the arm of the stand. Take weight off the bow and gets it out of your way, while keeping it at hand.

3. I need a better way to hold my bow in stand. I use a lone wolf hang assault 2 hang on so the options I've found either take up too much space on my smaller platform or need a rail to mount to. Right now I'm just using a regular bow hanger it works fine but I'd like to reduce movements for shots.
Bow buddy crossbow holder. I have a 1/2 dozen. Excellent and fast/easy to install.
crossbow hanger.jpg

Put it in the back pack, along with the crossbow. Install it before you start climbing. Sweet sweet holder.

Good Luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
You might look into single-point harnesses/sling when you're lugging in a climber stand on your back. It's not a perfect solution, but I sometimes use one with my xb when I have my climber on my back. It takes the weight of the xb off of your arms as it lays in front of you, and thus allows one hand to move branches and stuff as you walk while the other hand steadies the xb from swinging around in front of you.

As for a place to hold your xb while in a climber, I have the Third Hand Archery treestand bowholder (List of Products), but I give it mixed reviews. I saw this demonstrated at a huge archery show and thought it was cool with the crossbow he had on hand, but I find myself not trusting it with my TenPoint Stealth NXT.... or at least, not enough to climb with it as they show on some of Third Hand's videos. It will hold the bow once you're at elevation, but I'm not thrilled with it yet. This is currently my weak link and I'm looking for better ideas.

But yes... crossbows are heavy beasts to carry, and they're large in a treestand, no matter how you slice it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Man bro sounds your experience was fun to say the least. Im new to xbow huntin too. And i lost a arrow an broadhead the other day too
I went an bought a bigger stand cause my steel old man was gettin to heavy, not comfortable, and seemed like i was cramped with my xbow. Got a summit titan. Its more comfortable an i can place my xbow in different positions where i aint gotta hold it the whole time. Man enjoy your season. Im hunting public land in southwest Louisiana and its all piney except right in the bottoms. An i will be competing with mostly gun hunters soon. I cant have a firearm legally from some trouble when i was younger. Praise God He is merciful and i can still hunt with a bow. If not id go out there with a camera. I need the woods in my life lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Light/compact bow? ... Excal 308 short will give you that in spades.
My suggestion (for climber) is to do what I did, which was to strap a backpack to the bottom of the stand that could carry the bow and other stuff. In this way, everything was centered and behind me. Bow in hand and stuff on the back isn't the best way.

View attachment 185495

I used to lash mine to the base of my climber and leave it there. Made a great camo cover, so that deer couldn't see up though the base. Acted as a breakup IMO.
Now you just throw it up on the gate, strap it on and walk. Remove bow and jack up. Easy as that.

Kwikee side winder.
View attachment 185497

Use the kwikee quiver of your choice with the sidewinder. Its a belt loop quiver adapter that rotates 360 to put the arrows out of the way but well within reach. I strap the belt around the tree when I get up or occasionally I will just hang the whole rig on the arm of the stand. Take weight off the bow and gets it out of your way, while keeping it at hand.

Bow buddy crossbow holder. I have a 1/2 dozen. Excellent and fast/easy to install.
View attachment 185498

Put it in the back pack, along with the crossbow. Install it before you start climbing. Sweet sweet holder.

Good Luck!!
Man that was good looking out on the products. I may check them out myself

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts