Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
SE VA
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I think about all the hubbub going on now with ever faster, extremely expensive and ever more demanding to maintain crossbows, the more I think first time buyers, especially those that aren’t technically inclined, should seriously consider a recurve hunting crossbow. I refer to these crossbows as simple functionality. Your time and efforts will be used for hunting rather than keeping a sensitive high maintenance crossbow working properly. You’ll likely have more time to enjoy your hunting and being successful at it instead of scratching your head worrying about how to keep it functioning properly.
I’m saying this with 18 years experience of crossbow shooting and hunting behind me. Being technically / mechanically astute really helps with these high speed, super sensitive crossbows. I just think it should be considered by newcomers to hunting crossbows.
I have an early production Excalibur Micro that I’ve had for years, equipped with a Flemish string that’s still like new. Also, I believe Excals still offer lifetime warranties. Something to think about😊
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Tire Grass

Wood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
12,851 Posts
Wisdom ...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree with your point in spirit. However.... there's also lots and lots of compound xbows on the market that typically require near zero maintenance, other than the usual lubing and routine string/cable care needed by any and all archery equipment.

IMO, these "low maintenance" compounds are pretty much any of the higher-quality compound xbow shooting under 400 fps.

The choices people choose to make... ;)

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
399 Posts
And the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that newbies buy the fastest crossbows they can afford for only one reason: They very mistakenly think that they are going to be able to routinely take 50+ yard shots on deer with those faster bows....and boy are they mistaken.

Education and knowledge is the key here. Perhaps they just have to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Good points Tom, but I think it goes beyond new buyers! I have had most bows out their since I started using crossbows over 13 years ago, like you I started with an Excalibur!

The best thing about that was it proved to me to be the bow one can have for hunting, and for just plain shooting. I love my Li'l Sassy, but to this day, if I was ever limited to just one crossbow,,,, it will be an Excalibur,,, in my case the Matrix 380 Mad Max! I have a 6 year old set of spare limbs, and about half a dozen spare strings, that cost me less than most pay for one premium string and cable set, 2 or 3 times a year I take 2 minutes to set my brace height,, and shoot the chit out of it, no need for anything else but waxing the string and serving now and then.

Guess what owning that recurve first taught me was, it's always best to start with the best that's available,,,,, (y)

·
SE VA
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
WC, I didn’t start with an Excalibur😊. I started with a TP Stealth in 2003. It was a good crossbow. I was upset at the time knowing that my vertical bow days were over (doctor orders) and just bought the first crossbow that I picked up in the local sporting goods store.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Good points Tom, but I think it goes beyond new buyers! I have had most bows out their since I started using crossbows over 13 years ago, like you I started with an Excalibur!

The best thing about that was it proved to me to be the bow one can have for hunting, and for just plain shooting. I love my Li'l Sassy, but to this day, if I was ever limited to just one crossbow,,,, it will be an Excalibur,,, in my case the Matrix 380 Mad Max! I have a 6 year old set of spare limbs, and about half a dozen spare strings, that cost me less than most pay for one premium string and cable set, 2 or 3 times a year I take 2 minutes to set my brace height,, and shoot the chit out of it, no need for anything else but waxing the string and serving now and then.

Guess what owning that recurve first taught me was, it's always best to start with the best that's available,,,,, (y)
"....set my brace height,, and shoot the chit out of it, no need for anything else...", that says it all right there.
Excalibur is the "Ronco Rotisserie" of crossbows, " Just set it and Forget it ". 😁

·
Registered
323 Posts
About 10 years ago I decided I needed a crossbow to kill a bunch of deer in my neighborhood. I went to a bunch of stores and ranges and shot the hell out of everything available. I decided a Matrix 330 was what I needed. bought one and killed a bunch of deer. Last year I bough at Matrix 380 since everything was interchangeable and parts/accessories for one was parts and accessories for both. Only have shot one with the 380 so far, but will probably kill a couple per year until I get too old and feeble to do it anymore.

In shooting everything I could get my hands on I never found anything I couldn't live without, nor in shooting a few dozen deer with the 330 did I find anything I really needed. I did wish for just a little more speed, not a lot, and the 380 seems so far to fulfill that wish. Completely. I do not see either myself or the deer changing much before I am done, so I have very high confidence that I have what I need for crossbows..

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
619 Posts
Not sure, but I don't think that excal bow would fit in my ameristep doghouse blind. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
Killed a bunch of deer out of my Doghouse blind with my old wide Excalibur Exomax. Just have to watch the sides if shooting at an angle.
Bill

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
619 Posts
The problem is that the majority of first time crossbow buyers will usually go for the inexpensive ones. The ones that require some skill and knowledge in order to realize good accuracy and reliability. Just how many of these crossbows that have been abandoned is anybody’s guess.

Bill

Reactions: aporter1608

·
Registered
112 Posts
Funny I haven't had to do a thing with my scorpyd deathstalker in a very long time and it's not a recurve... :)
I sort of follow "Death by Bunji" from time to time. Rich Wilson just switched over to a Scorpyd Deathstalker from an 10+ year old Excalbur (Axion I believe) he called "Bunji" a few months ago. Rich has been doing an annual "Meat & Greet" event (group hog hunt @ a ranch). HIs daughter's Bunj Junior (Excalibur Micro 355) (I believe) blew a limb the day before the event. HIs daughter shot her hog with his Deathstalker, and Rich took Bunji out of its very short retirement to shoot his hog.

Limbs & other problems can occur with a recurve crossbow, too!

By the way - Bunji Junior received new limbs, & his daughter has shot two bucks with it already this fall.

I walked into an achery shop this past spring (having never shot a crossbow before in my life) wanting to explore the Excalibur Mag 340 (which I think is an excellent entry level or any level crossbow for the money). I left being impressed by the both Mag 340, and the Mission Crossbow line up. This archery shop is quite popular. Even though they sold Excalibur, Ten Point, & Ravin, it quite clear what the owner & his top bow tech thought about Mission crossbows. They were diehard bow guys. If they had to hunt with a crossbow, it would be a Mission. I went in with an open mind, & I can honestly say I learned a lot. Having said that, a $600-700 Mag 340 held its own. For the money, it's a good option to consider.

I haven't really given crossbows much thought until this past year. This is just my observation, but I could be wrong -

Scorpyd has sort stopped chasing speed. I don't think Mission ever started to chase it. I sort of have some respect for that.

As some of the other companies continue to dazzle potential consumers with more speed, there does appear to be issues at times. You can fill in the blank with what companies are still doing that yourself. I am not saying all fast crossbow are bad.

I can kill more deer with a slow crossbow than a broken down fast one! Not saying all fast crossbows break down, but it seems to be a concern for some models.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Don't quite understand but I can assure you that you won't find a more accurate bow than Excalibur, even the old exo series has proven that. Matter of fact they are probably less finicky about what they shoot well than compounds. I learned years ago to shoot one arrow per bull years ago, the 350 Matrix is pretty inexpensive, but deadly accurate with whatever I fed it, different nocks, vanes, shafts, weights of points, you name it.

even the lowly 330 is big on accuracy.

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,296 Posts
theres just one flaw on this reasoning, cheapest Excalibur is twice amount than what i got

altho its soon getting close to pay exactly that and its not even been an year yet, and spend 4months of waiting for s&c

on this view, id say its good for first (and last) crossbow, if you can afford it

·
3,567 Posts
Just went and looked at their website. I'm keeping my BD 360.

I'd put Mission right up there to recommend to first time buyers. There pretty easy to drive and tuning is pretty much set and forget.

Buddy of mine bought a cheap PSE. Don't know the name. Its not fast but its 3 years old and hasn't even needed a reserving of the center serving. He has no press and my homemade press is a string stretcher now . So it's never been tuned. He just kills deer with it.

He's talking about getting a new bow. I hope he don't buy a headache.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
89 Posts
As a new xbow shooter, I had a specific purpose , and as always a specific budget . My goal, target only, wanting to reach 200 yds for about $1k and see if xbows are for me. I went with the RDX400, excellent reliable bow thus far, i do wish the trigger was better but no regrets. Currently shooting excellent at 100yds, getting ready to build and test precision arrows. One clear fact im going to need higher velocities and heavy arrows to reach 200 yds with consistency.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts