Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
The main reason I did not look at "recurve", "no cam", crossbows, is I thought they must be higher poundage compared to cammed crossbows and therefore harder to cock.
Like 200+ pounds draw weight.
I will admit I never really researched them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't quite understand but I can assure you that you won't find a more accurate bow than Excalibur, even the old exo series has proven that. Matter of fact they are probably less finicky about what they shoot well than compounds. I learned years ago to shoot one arrow per bull years ago, the 350 Matrix is pretty inexpensive, but deadly accurate with whatever I fed it, different nocks, vanes, shafts, weights of points, you name it.

even the lowly 330 is big on accuracy.
All them arrows and just one in the heart and one in the lungs? Ask the guy shooting at the Xs to give you some pointers, he seems to be doing a little better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Excellent advice. But I would also recommend staying away from fast xbows. Even Excalibur. I went from old excal 330fps to newer bd440 I returned itto Amazon after 3 months. 3 sets limbs and many string servings. Even polished latch’s. Had boo help me. Then still wanting fast tried 10 pt nitro. Nice bow but accu slide pro string problems Ireturned to cabelas after 1 month. Got all my money back from both. Still thinking I could find a fast bow with little maintenance. Have fast xbow now and have learned alot Mostly that speed comes with alot of maintenance and headaches. Still have old Excalibur. Simple bombproof and slow and wide. But love new small and fast. Great to have choices

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
1,047 Posts
Bought my son a very lightly used Excalibur Axiom for his birthday in September. I gave $100. It came with three original Excalibur arrows. We set the brace height, waxed the string, screwed some 100 gr Ramcats on the arrows, sighted in and he smoked a big doe at 35 yards on his third hunt with it. its loud, relatively slow, wide, and doesn’t look “tacticool” but it’s super reliable, he can do anything that needs to be done by himself in the field without a bow press, like change a string or adjust brace height, and it shoots absolutely lights out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just sent payment off for my first crossbow purchase(well dads xmas present) and I chose excaliber.

I been shooting vertical compounds for years and can tune my DNA in a heart beat but I didnt wat too have that issue with my dads new crossbow.

He already uses a compound crossbow and good thing is he doesnt shoot it enough too have to deal with strings and cables more then once a year when we go to the shop to fletch his arrows and stuff.

But now with this new bow he will have a crank for cocking and hopefully will enjoy shooting more and the simplicity of the recurve setup will be much easier too deal with when the string stretches.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cabelas has KI lethal 405's with crank on sale for 200 dollars.
Looks like it could get someone starting out something fast enough for little cash and KI has good customer service.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Don't quite understand but I can assure you that you won't find a more accurate bow than Excalibur, even the old exo series has proven that. Matter of fact they are probably less finicky about what they shoot well than compounds. I learned years ago to shoot one arrow per bull years ago, the 350 Matrix is pretty inexpensive, but deadly accurate with whatever I fed it, different nocks, vanes, shafts, weights of points, you name it.

even the lowly 330 is big on accuracy.
I'm an excal fan myself but the statement that "you wont find a more accurate bow" is laughable. It's not true at all.
If it were true then Mission wouldnt have all the medals. ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have had a few crossbows in the past, 19 to be exact. My father in law, brother in law a few friends all ask, what crossbow should I buy for my first. I don’t care what budget they tell me I always have the same answer. Go buy a Barnett, spend $200-$300 and buy good arrows. if you have more left in the budget buy good glass. By Barnett TS370 and Whitetail hunter II have never let me down. I stil have the white tail hunter and after 6 years, 1 set of strings and cables. My kids use and abuse it, I use it as a back up and it has been crazy reliable. Very accurate out 35-40 yards.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'm an excal fan myself but the statement that "you wont find a more accurate bow" is laughable. It's not true at all.
If it were true then Mission wouldnt have all the medals. ;)
Sir not sure, but I believe you're a bit confused, but think about this, show me a single bow shooting under 1.5" out to 100 yards, you show me one single bow with more Olympic wins or records than Hoyt, you seem to live in one small world,,,, yours, and are basing it on scores, not absolute accuracy, the referring to compound bows, not recurves, and definitely not crossbows! Oh and Mathews holds most wins for a season not records and not lifetime! Mission does not, get it straight don't believe everything you read without facts. Trust me I comment on real life experience, and said it is as accurate as any bow made, not that no other bow was AS accurate, just not more accurate. I have yet to be proven wrong.

I don't make comments I can't backup, and you can't show me one single Mission that will shoot closer than a half inch of the same point of aim at 50 yards for 5 shot, Or if you can, no one has yet. But this 380 Mad Max shoots at least that good, as well as more than a hanfull of other Excaliburs I have owned and a "couple" of the many other brands I've owned.

Those bulls are 1 1/2", every arrow is inside the bottom half of that bull, and more accurately the the bottom 1/2, all well inside that, well under 1/2" of the same poa, so that is real life accuracy, not how many points were scored to win some match, as you are referencing, as Mission holds no accuracy world records, you obviously are referring to the shooters "score" and not a bows inherent accuracy, and certainly not mission, I believe you confused that with Mathews Compound bows? Now I never said others bows don't shoot as well, But have not ever seen a crossbow shoot better, and doubt you will either!

The only records Mathews holds are paid for, the only company I know that has to offer cash bonuses to pro shooters to use their equipment in sanctioned competition, and none with a crossbow as they are illegal because of accuracy, just for your own information, It was the only way they could get the "best shooters in the world" that would likely win with any bow, to use theirs. Again this is not a measure of absolute bow accuracy, but shooters ability to shoot higher scores, not groups! Credit where credit is do, and that is how they do it.

• Haha
Reactions: 380

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sir not sure, but I believe you're a bit confused, but think about this, show me a single bow shooting under 1.5" out to 100 yards, you show me one single bow with more Olympic wins or records than Hoyt, you seem to live in one small world,,,, yours, and are basing it on scores, not absolute accuracy, the referring to compound bows, not recurves, and definitely not crossbows! Oh and Mathews holds most wins for a season not records and not lifetime! Mission does not, get it straight don't believe everything you read without facts. Trust me I comment on real life experience, and said it is as accurate as any bow made, not that no other bow was AS accurate, just not more accurate. I have yet to be proven wrong.

I don't make comments I can't backup, and you can't show me one single Mission that will shoot closer than a half inch of the same point of aim at 50 yards for 5 shot, Or if you can, no one has yet. But this 380 Mad Max shoots at least that good, as well as more than a hanfull of other Excaliburs I have owned and a "couple" of the many other brands I've owned.

Those bulls are 1 1/2", every arrow is inside the bottom half of that bull, and more accurately the the bottom 1/2, all well inside that, well under 1/2" of the same poa, so that is real life accuracy, not how many points were scored to win some match, as you are referencing, as Mission holds no accuracy world records, you obviously are referring to the shooters "score" and not a bows inherent accuracy, and certainly not mission, I believe you confused that with Mathews Compound bows? Now I never said others bows don't shoot as well, But have not ever seen a crossbow shoot better, and doubt you will either!

The only records Mathews holds are paid for, the only company I know that has to offer cash bonuses to pro shooters to use their equipment in sanctioned competition, and none with a crossbow as they are illegal because of accuracy, just for your own information, It was the only way they could get the "best shooters in the world" that would likely win with any bow, to use theirs. Again this is not a measure of absolute bow accuracy, but shooters ability to shoot higher scores, not groups! Credit where credit is do, and that is how they do it.
For the money Mission crossbows seem pretty nice to me. They are quiet & accurate. They are super easy to rope cock & rope decock. Mathews/Missions aren't going anywhere, & they also stand behind their products.

I think shooting 100 yards with a crossbow is sort of nuts, but I have no doubt some shoot as good a Mission or even better. Mission aren't the fastest, lightest, or narrowest offerings. I see Mission crossbows are being low maintenance, & the ability to change out cables/string without a bow press is a really nice feature. I agree Mathews/Mission is good at pushing their products with advertising, & other great products exist from other companies.

I feel Excalibur is also a very good crossbow company. I don't need to slam the other companies to state that either. I can see the draw to the simplicity of Excalibur crossbows. They will, however, be harder to rope cock on the higher speed models. The Mag 340 was tougher to rope cock than the Sub-1 I compared it too. Sub-1 was also quieter.

If my spending limit was under $1000 for something new, I would strongly consider the Excalibur Mag 340. It's a really nice package for the money. If I am spending $1,500-2,000, the Mission packages look very appealing to me for the reasons I already stated. Ten Point Viper S400 & Siege RS410 would be on my radar, too. I think the Ravin R10 is a great value, but I don't really care for the arrow rest concept verses full length barrel for the bolt. Just personal preference on my part, but my experience with crossbows is very limited. Speed means very little to me. I want quiet, accurate, dependable, & easy to rope cock/decock. If Ten Point's ACCU-slide system proves to be ultra reliable, that would be great, too. I still prefer the simplicity that Missions offers with easy rope cocking, however.

What companies win the most tournaments means nothing to me. That's just marketing & nothing more. Barnett, Killer Instinct, & Centerpoint surely offer some good options. A new cheaper model is less appealing to me than a proven model from those companies. So it's good to hear about past models that are great dependable performers.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

I was like you at one time. I believed everything I believed 100%
LOL

·
3,215 Posts
Excaliburs are the best jumping point for a new shooter/hunter. It is simple and repairable at home. Assuming you have parts (and you don't need much), there isn't anything I can't fix in under an hour. Anything gone wrong during a hunt can be corrected and you're hunting the next day. The reality is that all you really need is a stringing aid, and extra string and a set of limbs. Yes, there are compounds that can be worked on without a press but a new shooter has to understand brace height and the compound shooter has to understand ATA, timing and really should have a chronograph. The expense to maintain a recurve is so much less money and super easy compared to any compound. One of the best reasons for starting with a recurve is that if you want to play rough and get as bow that casts an arrow well past 400, your recurve will be an extremely reliable back up. It is unfortunate that Excalibur has to go to higher speeds to stay viable but they do have a 305 ft/sec bow for less than $600 as a kit. If I were to start over again, that bow would not be a bad choice. Anyone thinking they need faster than that to kill a deer is looking for an excuse to buy a fast bow. Unfortunately we all fall prey to the speed game to some degree.

·
3,215 Posts
Excal pushes 400 FPS due to the American market. An Excal shooting 360 is as good as it gets
I disagree. Anything with the High Output limbs are the pinnacle of Excalibur design. My favorite bow is the 400 Suppressor. 380 ft/sec with a 400 gr arrow. The only thing better would be a 360 ft/sec bow using a 400 to 425 grain arrow wearing High Output limbs.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
For the money Mission crossbows seem pretty nice to me. They are quiet & accurate. They are super easy to rope cock & rope decock. Mathews/Missions aren't going anywhere, & they also stand behind their products.

I think shooting 100 yards with a crossbow is sort of nuts, but I have no doubt some shoot as good a Mission or even better. Mission aren't the fastest, lightest, or narrowest offerings. I see Mission crossbows are being low maintenance, & the ability to change out cables/string without a bow press is a really nice feature. I agree Mathews/Mission is good at pushing their products with advertising, & other great products exist from other companies.

I feel Excalibur is also a very good crossbow company. I don't need to slam the other companies to state that either. I can see the draw to the simplicity of Excalibur crossbows. They will, however, be harder to rope cock on the higher speed models. The Mag 340 was tougher to rope cock than the Sub-1 I compared it too. Sub-1 was also quieter.

If my spending limit was under $1000 for something new, I would strongly consider the Excalibur Mag 340. It's a really nice package for the money. If I am spending $1,500-2,000, the Mission packages look very appealing to me for the reasons I already stated. Ten Point Viper S400 & Siege RS410 would be on my radar, too. I think the Ravin R10 is a great value, but I don't really care for the arrow rest concept verses full length barrel for the bolt. Just personal preference on my part, but my experience with crossbows is very limited. Speed means very little to me. I want quiet, accurate, dependable, & easy to rope cock/decock. If Ten Point's ACCU-slide system proves to be ultra reliable, that would be great, too. I still prefer the simplicity that Missions offers with easy rope cocking, however.

What companies win the most tournaments means nothing to me. That's just marketing & nothing more. Barnett, Killer Instinct, & Centerpoint surely offer some good options. A new cheaper model is less appealing to me than a proven model from those companies. So it's good to hear about past models that are great dependable performers.
I agree why I posted the 50 yard target, it is what matters since anything inside that is where the shots counts, and facts are, no one needs 1/2" groups to kill deer, even the lousiest shooting bow I ever owned was capable of that, and 90% here know when they hear BS. But for the 10% that come here to learn it should be important to let them know when the BS is posted, just to keep the learning experience real for their good.

To get down to the real nitty gritty, that yellow 450K target shows how well the Excalibur will shoot with any arrow you put in it, thats 6 different arrows in 4 different shafts, tapps, zombies, executioners, and diablo's in as many different weights vanes and other components like nocks inserts and points, to many differences to list, but a fair test for proof of their ability with anything they shoot, from a 350 Matrix, and yes I've tested dozens of the finest crossbows made, and none have been able to do that @ 30 yards. But almost every Excalibur I have owned would, but once given what they like, nothing is going to outshoot them, plenty have tried not just me.

Now my Li'l Sassy will stand strong, completely custom with parts from different models of bows, and it was built to do many things better than anything out their, it will shoot with them but it ain't outshoot'n them. Like my Excalibur's, it does shoot the Viper Trick broadheads to the same POI as the field points, but you aint throwing's 6 different types weights and kinds of arrows in it and getting as good a results as the Excalibur.

Heck an old $325.00 Phoenix would do that, and like I said, still had it's lifetime warranty! another fact no other brand has without paying more used to have it.
Light Current transformer Yellow Motor vehicle Gas

Not just the Exo series, or the Matrix, but even the Micro series screams accuracy,, this 40 target shows how that little 335 Micro with a 3moa red dot Burris Fastfire mounted to keep it under 7 lbs hunting weight, just keeps crowd'n the next arrow over and destroying 3 out of 5 making one hole after aiming at the same spot @ 40 yards for 5 shots.

The fact is most could care less about getting this extreme, let alone have the time to do it. But it is fun, informative, and the only way to see the true facts with all the fan bow BS people post. My latest, and greatest a 330 rail fer the Mad Max convertible, death maker duo.

The 380 is ready,, or I can go with the 330 rail as well, she don't miss an X either, both will break you real quick shoot'n groups out to 50 yards,,,, just keep'n it real, save the keyboard cowbow stuff fer off topic,, ;)

With them factory Camx accuspines it is deadly accurate, no fuss or expensive custom arrows or supper stiff Zombie or Tapp shafts, just cheap old blazers on shafts right outa the box, and what you can expect from adding a 160 dollar rail for a 330 to the family, a 5 minute swap, form a hunting bow why shpoot the best when this is all ya need to kill a lowly deer out to 50 yards, the target was only 30 but you get the message, cheap cut down rail to add to an inexpensive old model Excalibur Matrix,, (y)

(y)No doubt you can spend more, or buy faster, or smaller, but you can not buy lighter, or more accurate, or more reliable. I have found a couple othe makes that would shoot as good if you found the perfect arrow, but none were less picky and always spot on with anything I put in them, or fully lifetime warranted, and all these I posted here can be had today for around that $500.00 mark, maybe less but if you look you'll find em this accurate and consistent for less, or some for maybe for a touch more, and when you do, you'll have that lifetime warranty to go with it. Old school Exo, Matrix, Micro, and we all know the latest and greatest as well, but far from needed as you see. I have several more examples I can post, but I think this should clear any confusion about what I stated earlier. You don't have to get selective or go extreme to find an Excalibur that shoots lights out with any new bow, when you buy an Excalibur accuracy is a given, and they all do, just depends on how extreme you want them, and how much you want to spend! (y)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I disagree. Anything with the High Output limbs are the pinnacle of Excalibur design. My favorite bow is the 400 Suppressor. 380 ft/sec with a 400 gr arrow. The only thing better would be a 360 ft/sec bow using a 400 to 425 grain arrow wearing High Output limbs.
Isn’t that what I said?

·
3,215 Posts
Isn’t that what I said?
Kinda, sort of, almost. What quantified my choice was the limbs. Yours was speed. Almost the same destination using a different route. I’ve said to some that my 400 Suppressor will be the last bow I buy but if they come out with High Output limbs on a bow that makes 360 with a 409 grain arrow, I’m going to be terribly tempted.

Reactions: wheelsquad
21 - 40 of 55 Posts