Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
Kinda, sort of, almost. What quantified my choice was the limbs. Yours was speed. Almost the same destination using a different route. I鈥檝e said to some that my 400 Suppressor will be the last bow I buy but if they come out with High Output limbs on a bow that makes 360 with a 409 grain arrow, I鈥檓 going to be terribly tempted. My 315 Micro will be wearing High Output limbs very soon!
Damn Canadians!!!!! Most Excals shoot roughly 15-20fps lower with a 400gr arrow. So that 380 rated bow fits right where WE BOTH said is where they are best. And yes. Those HO limbs have made a huge difference. Better?

Registered
I ran across this video I had from way back of my first Micro the year they were released. Now Im not suggesting this is good practice, or I would hunt with this, but it does help reinforce some steel in my words of how accurate, and forgiving an Excalibur is compared to any bow on the market when it comes to accuracy and how easy it is to get it. Trust me,,, speed and money, don't kill, dependability and accuracy does!

I was using the eyeball on the elk for my aiming point, and although I was shooting off hand, standing, only 25 yards from the target, I think those with an open mind will see my point I have been making. Now trust me you can't do this with any other bow on the market, using parts from another totally different model, including size!

Registered
I ran across this video I had from way back of my first Micro the year they were released. Now Im not suggesting this is good practice, or I would hunt with this, but it does help reinforce some steel in my words of how accurate, and forgiving an Excalibur is compared to any bow on the market when it comes to accuracy and how easy it is to get it. Trust me,,, speed and money, don't kill, dependability and accuracy does!

I was using the eyeball on the elk for my aiming point, and although I was shooting off hand, standing, only 25 yards from the target, I think those with an open mind will see my point I have been making. Now trust me you can't do this with any other bow on the market, using parts from another totally different model, including size!
I appreciate everyone that shares their positive & negative experiences with crossbows.

Given your Excalibur experience, what is the best new Excalibur crossbow value offered today?

I wish more models were offered without the "take down" feature.

I realize you really like what you already have. If you had to replace your current one(s), which new model would you buy & why?

Registered
If I had to replace the 380 Matrix amid could not find another, I would buy a Used Bulldog 380 or 400, because they share the same limbs, I can still use a triggertech trigger, and would be slightly shorter with the same proven performance. If I bought a new Micro limbed bow, it would be the original Suppressor. I am not all that gidy about brand new at the prices they bring, as these older bows do more than I would need.

SE VA
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I would strongly consider a Micro sized model in the 340 to 360 fps range. Since I鈥檓 convinced that the speed bit is overplayed in the crossbow industry, I鈥檇 go for the 340 FPS range or even slower.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Registered
If I had to replace the 380 Matrix amid could not find another, I would buy a Used Bulldog 380 or 400, because they share the same limbs, I can still use a triggertech trigger, and would be slightly shorter with the same proven performance. If I bought a new Micro limbed bow, it would be the original Suppressor. I am not all that gidy about brand new at the prices they bring, as these older bows do more than I would need.
If someone who really loves Excalibur crossbows wouldn't be willing to buy a new one at today's prices, what does that say about Excalibur today? I have asked this question a number of times from Excalibur owners, and I almost always get this response. I would buy an older, used, proven model is a common theme.

For someone considering a new Excalibur it's a bit alarming or creates a red flag. Not picking on you by any means, but I have this concern (& I don't own one).

I think the Mag 340 is a great value. When you start looking at $1,500+ crossbows, I do compare the Excalibur crossbows to other offerings.

Personally, I see no need to spend over $2,000 for any crossbow. Most Excalibur models (except the TwinStrike) are going to fall under that. This is also why I am bit drawn to Mission crossbows. All Mission models (with a complete package @ Wyvern Creations) are under $2,000.

I am not saying a person can't spend way less than that & have an awesome set up. I went into this thinking Excalibur is the only way to go, but Mission does check some nice boxes. The ease of rope cocking/decocking with two hands is sweet. The cam let off also reduces stress on everything when cocked. They are quiet, accurate, and quite dependable/proven crossbows. Mission & Scorpyd don't seem to be chasing speed, & I respect that. I am not willing to spend $1,500+ on a new high speed crossbow experiment. I don't care what brand it is.

I'm typing this with a new Chromebook. What do I like best about it? I paid $119 for it brand new. I'm sure the $500+ Chromebooks are much nicer, but I wouldn't care for it at that price (regardless of how great it is). The extra cost of all the Excalibur TD models is a bit of a turn off for me. I am not saying a few models without it don't still exist. It is limiting, however.

A $2,000+ crossbow doesn't offer me anything that would make me pay that much for one, but there are some really nice ones for less than that in my opinion. If you are really into crossbows, I am not knocking someone who pays big money for one. There's nothing wrong with that.

I am just thinking out loud in a thread related to first time crossbow buyers. In answering my question, you wouldn't buy a new Excalibur (& you like the brand). I feel that way about new vehicles! :)

SE VA
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Different strokes for different folks馃槉
My strokes have changed drastically during the last 10 years. That鈥檚 what happens as we age up. Can鈥檛 cock crossbows with rope cockers that I could easily 10 years ago. As each year goes by, my ability to handle heavy weights diminishes BUT if I was a first time crossbow buyer with no previous experience, I firmly believe an Excalibur鈥檚 simplicity and ease of maintenance would absolutely be my best choice. Yep, I agree that virtually all well known brands are overpriced and if I could not afford a new one, I鈥檇 be looking for a used one, like an Excal Micro.

Registered
If someone who really loves Excalibur crossbows wouldn't be willing to buy a new one at today's prices, what does that say about Excalibur today? I have asked this question a number of times from Excalibur owners, and I almost always get this response. I would buy an older, used, proven model is a common theme.

For someone considering a new Excalibur it's a bit alarming or creates a red flag. Not picking on you by any means, but I have this concern (& I don't own one).

I think the Mag 340 is a great value. When you start looking at $1,500+ crossbows, I do compare the Excalibur crossbows to other offerings.

Personally, I see no need to spend over $2,000 for any crossbow. Most Excalibur models (except the TwinStrike) are going to fall under that. This is also why I am bit drawn to Mission crossbows. All Mission models (with a complete package @ Wyvern Creations) are under $2,000.

I am not saying a person can't spend way less than that & have an awesome set up. I went into this thinking Excalibur is the only way to go, but Mission does check some nice boxes. The ease of rope cocking/decocking with two hands is sweet. The cam let off also reduces stress on everything when cocked. They are quiet, accurate, and quite dependable/proven crossbows. Mission & Scorpyd don't seem to be chasing speed, & I respect that. I am not willing to spend $1,500+ on a new high speed crossbow experiment. I don't care what brand it is.

I'm typing this with a new Chromebook. What do I like best about it? I paid $119 for it brand new. I'm sure the $500+ Chromebooks are much nicer, but I wouldn't care for it at that price (regardless of how great it is). The extra cost of all the Excalibur TD models is a bit of a turn off for me. I am not saying a few models without it don't still exist. It is limiting, however.

A $2,000+ crossbow doesn't offer me anything that would make me pay that much for one, but there are some really nice ones for less than that in my opinion. If you are really into crossbows, I am not knocking someone who pays big money for one. There's nothing wrong with that.

I am just thinking out loud in a thread related to first time crossbow buyers. In answering my question, you wouldn't buy a new Excalibur (& you like the brand). I feel that way about new vehicles! :)
Personally after owning literally dozens and dozens of bows from every quality crossbow manufacturer in existence, I understand just what I want, as well as what works 100% in the field for me. I also don't understand why anyone would want to quit using the equipment they have been 100% satisfied with for nearly a decade, and perfected to their likings, just to throw more money at an item when they have no wants for anything different????

There comes a time after owning dozens of different anything, guns, bows, vehicles, knives, etc, you find the ones you like the most, that fit and work for you better than anything else, but few understand this. If any one bow was perfect for everyone, or did everything better than any other bow, what the hell would we have different bows for?

I been around long enough and owned enough bows to know what I want, like, and works best for me! Unlike many that confuse newer is better, or spending more buys more, or what actually is equipment shortcomings, and what is their own shortcomings!

I know exactly what I like and want the most that works best for me. Maybe someday you'll find a bow that does everything you want more than others, when you do, I'm sure you'll understand as well, more aint always better!

But like Tom said for the majority of first timers here, I would recommend nothing more than an Excalibur, and in any price range be confident in performance regardless of price, cost is a pizz poor way to decide what works best for anyone.

Reactions: aporter1608

Registered
Personally after owning literally dozens and dozens of bows from every quality crossbow manufacturer in existence, I understand just what I want, as well as what works 100% in the field for me. I also don't understand why anyone would want to quit using the equipment they have been 100% satisfied with for nearly a decade, and perfected to their likings, just to throw more money at an item when they have no wants for anything different????

There comes a time after owning dozens of different anything, guns, bows, vehicles, knives, etc, you find the ones you like the most, that fit and work for you better than anything else, but few understand this. If any one bow was perfect for everyone, or did everything better than any other bow, what the hell would we have different bows for?

I been around long enough and owned enough bows to know what I want, like, and works best for me! Unlike many that confuse newer is better, or spending more buys more, or what actually is equipment shortcomings, and what is their own shortcomings!

I know exactly what I like and want the most that works best for me. Maybe someday you'll find a bow that does everything you want more than others, when you do, I'm sure you'll understand as well, more aint always better!
I think you are missing the point of my question. I am very much like you. I don't change my equipment very often. I switched compound bows in 2013, & most of that was due to wanting a 60 pound bow verses a 70 pound bow. I was also shooting a 41" ATA bow designed more for finger shooters. That's quite long by today's standards. I also made the switch to a drop away rest, new carbon arrows, & a few other things at time. I don't see myself ever buying another compound bow, because I really like what I have.

My younger brother (age 55) has owned three bows in his lifetime. First one - riser split in half (wooden Browning) while he was in high school. Second one - an Xi was stolen from his car. He bought a Hoyt with the insurance money. That was more than 25 years ago. He's changed his cables/string once since. He shot a 10 pointer with a 20.25" spread at my place in early November with it. He still uses the Lewis Lewis Pro-Injector bow release that he bought in the late 1970's. He's worst than me or better, depending on how you look at it. He has no interest in new archery equipment, because what he has works.

I know you really love what you have, but that was not my question. I already knew that. It was quite obvious in your first post. This is a thread about someone buying their first crossbow. It's not about you or I.

As someone considering a Excalibur, I would value your opinion on what you would buy in today's market. You came back with I wouldn't buy a new one, because .......

I even attached what is currently being offered by Excalibur today in my earlier post hoping you would look at them & give me your thoughts? I am not asking you defend what you already have. I was asking - let's say you lost all your equipment in a fire & you had the insurance money to buy a new Excalibur - What would you buy?

I get the impression you are really sold on Excaliber crossbows, but wouldn't recommend any of the current models being offered because of their high price or whatever other reason? For someone with little to no crossbow experience, that is a bit alarming.

If you could pick out a brand new Excalibur crossbow for free is different than spending hard earned money on it, & I get that.

I just think you missed what I was asking you. I have very little crossbow experience. I shot a Mag 340 in a archery shop twice while my compound bow was getting free cables/string installed earlier this year. That's my Excalibur experience, and it was positive by the way!

Personally, I think some companies have to many models, & that is overwhelming for someone like me. That's where a company like Scorpyd seems a bit appealing. The Deathstalker LT or Tremor are their two main models this year. Likewise, Mission has had the same 3 models for quite some time, and I am drawn to the original Sub-1 the most.

When I first looked at Excalibur a year or so ago, I thought the Bulldog 330 looks like a good beginners crossbow. It's no longer offered now. If you were in my shoes looking at new crossbows, I was wondering what you would pick for yourself?
That was all I was asking. I know you like what you have, & I do appreciate that.

Registered
I thought I did explain why, I have not said they are not as good, I'm sure they are, my issue is, why would I mention a Mag 340 to anyone, when I am asked what I would replace what I have with. But in no way comparable to the Matrix, and the 380 I wuld be replacing that runs around 355 fps with heavier 440 ish grain arrows, was my preference. I will not have a bow with a built in crank system I can't remove to hunt with. I also don't care for the TD feature on the premium bows.

But that was not the performance I was looking at when I said Suppressor in the Micro size models, meaning the original Suppressor and not the new TD version, I want the full camo rail for one thing, as well as not caring for the TD feature. But my old Suppressor gave me 340 ish speeds with 420 is grain arrows. This was why I said I would replace what I had with these bows.

As for too many models, I agree, I also think to many gimmicks, but unlike Moon, I am younger and still able to say that I can cock the 380, and the Suppressor I have a crank for, but I can remove it instantly when I want, and not have to have it weighing me down, that is why I mentioned it.

The Mag 340, the grizz 305 would be excellent for a new shooter looking for a new bow that I would highly recommend at a great price. Your right, I did not reference that question, but agree, if this is the performance window one would be happy with I would agree, a great bow at the best new price around.

Reactions: Driftless Hunter

Registered
600$ invader 400鈥 got 1000s of shots out of her鈥. Before I blew a limb鈥.1000s鈥.I鈥檓 talking 3-500 shots a week every week for 5 months鈥.that鈥檚 more shooting than most people do in a few years鈥.. I have a 1800$ Scorpyd Aculeus, that鈥檚 my go to鈥..but鈥︹ that invader is always with me when I hit the woods鈥..I got her strapped into me hunting back pack with 6 arrows ready to hunt鈥. Because it will happen鈥.I just wanna cry thinking about hearing that 鈥渢wang n crack鈥 in the stand鈥..

Registered
BD330/Short308/Woodstock 345/370 /Micro BD335/TT 1,5lbs SingleStage
It would be nice Excalibur would still offer some Matrix/BD lowpoundage bows (200-260lbs) with an aluminium rail, but it currently seems that the aluminum rail is reserved for the "high-speed" crossbows.
And bring back the Short 308 or Micro 315! Enough Power and easy to cock.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts