Crossbow Nation banner

First Xbow Deer at ‘Holly Stand’

3K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  Oldcarp 
#1 ·
Well, I got my first deer with my crossbow this morning!
To make it even sweeter, it was in one of my favorite ladder stands sites, the ‘Holly Stand‘.
It’s in a big oak surrounded by Fl holly trees (hence the name), with two ponds near by.
There are several fresh scrapes at this location this yr.
A nice 8 point walked right at me then turned off into brush to my right where I couldn’t get a shot.
I tried to call him back but to no avail.
About 45 minutes later a 6 point walked into one of the scrapes 20 yards from me, stood broadside and started raking the tree with his antlers.
I eased the safe off quietly like Jeff had told me how to do, put the 20 yd dot right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger of my Sub1 Lite, that I had propped on my shooting stick that I keep run down my tall snake boots when seated. I used one of the Black Eagle arrows that Scott had sent me, tipped with a Grim Reaper 100 gr broad head. I heard a ‘whack’ when the arrow hit him so I was pretty sure it was a good shot.
I trembled with buck fever after the shot and waited a looong 25 minutes to climb down.
The Glory lighted nock that Jim had recommended made it easy to find where the sparse blood trail started. After tracking tiny drops of blood about 90 yards I saw his white belly where he laid dead in the leaves. It was a double lung hit so I was surprised at the sparse blood trail.
He’s not huge (119#) and not the biggest deer I’ve ever shot but being my first xbow deer, he’s a trophy to me.
Thanks to everyone for tips, and encouragement as I learned about crossbow hunting.
Sunset
Wood Pollution Waste Tints and shades Twig
Watch Hunting Green Natural material Elk

See less See more
#8 ·
Well, I got my first deer with my crossbow this morning!
To make it even sweeter, it was in one of my favorite ladder stands sites, the ‘Holly Stand‘.
It’s in a big oak surrounded by Fl holly trees (hence the name), with two ponds near by.
There are several fresh scrapes at this location this yr.
A nice 8 point walked right at me then turned off into brush to my right where I couldn’t get a shot.
I tried to call him back but to no avail.
About 45 minutes later a 6 point walked into one of the scrapes 20 yards from me, stood broadside and started raking the tree with his antlers.
I eased the safe off quietly like Jeff had told me how to do, put the 20 yd dot right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger of my Sub1 Lite, that I had propped on my shooting stick that I keep run down my tall snake boots when seated. I used one of the Black Eagle arrows that Scott had sent me, tipped with a Grim Reaper 100 gr broad head. I heard a ‘whack’ when the arrow hit him so I was pretty sure it was a good shot.
I trembled with buck fever after the shot and waited a looong 25 minutes to climb down.
The Glory lighted nock that Jim had recommended made it easy to find where the sparse blood trail started. After tracking tiny drops of blood about 90 yards I saw his white belly where he laid dead in the leaves. It was a double lung hit so I was surprised at the sparse blood trail.
He’s not huge (119#) and not the biggest deer I’ve ever shot but being my first xbow deer, he’s a trophy to me.
Thanks to everyone for tips, and encouragement as I learned about crossbow hunting.
Sunset
View attachment 233999 View attachment 234000
Good for you

#13 ·
119# is ALOT of meat. Congrats on getting your buck!;):)

#33 ·
Thanks.
Yes, I like the Sub1 lite. Its a little heavier than my MXB Sniper Lite, which I kept (now new limbs) as a back up. I can rope cock the SniperLite but struggle to rope cock the Sub1 lite without the crank, but the crank fits either bow.🙂
I liked everything about the Barnett except the crank. I was really struggling with taking it from the ‘in gear’ position after cocking the bow to the free spool position to take the hooks off the cocked string. The in gear/out of gear latch was near impossible for me to do. Maybe if it had been located near the back of the stock it would have been more do-able. I was not comfortable taking the chance of crocking it in the free spool position (out of gear).
A friend bought the Barnett from me and he took the crank off of. He’s strong enough to rope cocks it.
Sunset
ps I love your name for deer…’tick totter’😂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.