Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses them and why? I'm thinking this next season I may use them with my mag 340. It's a lot slower than my invader 400 , which imo helps with fixed heads flying the same or really close to fp. I have had excellent results with mechs but always had a lil doubt in the back of my mind. I may change just for the certainty that they have.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,643 Posts
Who uses them and why? I'm thinking this next season I may use them with my mag 340. It's a lot slower than my invader 400 , which imo helps with fixed heads flying the same or really close to fp. I have had excellent results with mechs but always had a lil doubt in the back of my mind. I may change just for the certainty that they have.

Afflictor K2 fix Broadhead the guy at affector Broadheads claims him and his son shoot a vapor & a viper and they fly well .

· Registered
E Tennessee
709 Posts
I use the old style 150 gr bear ss razors with changeable bleeder blades. I was using them way back in the day and never had any issues with them. When it seemed like everyone thought they needed sometime "better", folks were giving me theirs right and left. I have about 60+ or so and most have never been shot. So I’m good to go! :)

· Registered
3,818 Posts
viper tricks, most reliable and accurate option from 325 fps to over 430 fps. Nothing to fail, or transition, I never had anything shoot more accurate, be more reliable, the shoot to the exact same POI as my field points, and are the most durable option that checks all these characteristics that I have found in over 45 years using archery equipment!

Oh ya, and they never open prematurely, as they are always open and ready to do what they are intended to do!

· Registered
358 Posts

Look into Dead X Bowhunting and the Big Game 2 head. These heads grouped great out of my 505. They work great out of my 470, 440, R29 and 29X. The are devastating on a deer, they are coming out with a lower grain head this summer, should be around 200 grain. I have been using the 250, killed three deer with the same head and blades.

· Registered
142 Posts
Been using Slick Tricks 100gr out of the Excalibur 380 this year, a fixed blade broadhead. Used the same broadhead on 3 deer, just resharpened. It is ready for next year.
Though, I found blood trails a little sparse compared to mechanicals on similar hits. IMO
BUT I had issues with mechanicals skipping along ribs, bending the ferrules, exiting the deer far from where I thought they should. When everything is perfect, my shot placement, the deer broadside, the mechanicals were fine - but that is not always the situation as we know.

5,014 Posts
I'm getting My Excal BD 360 setup finally. I'm a big cut guy. I have some slick trick wicked tricks that shoot really good. There Bobs viper tricks with grizztrick bleeders. I stumbled on some Ramcat Diamondback 125gr that have a 1.5" and single bevel offset blades. After seeing how the rotate through Jell and i know they fly good. I bought some to try.

The way i feel right now there going to have to run me off. If they do i have the Wicked tricks on deck.

IMO you and i are borderline using expendables. I have used them in slower bows without problems. But still iffy. A fixed if they fly good and offer a good cut are less likely to fail from slower bows.

Jump up to the matrix 380 or faster bows I'm expandable all the way. NAP FOC or SWAT X MAG are my favorites.

· Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm going back to fixed heads. Most likely Slick Tricks. The reason being is I want to pass through the animal with as little "shock" as possible. Big mechanicals do a nice job but they sometimes get the deer going like a thoroughbred. horse. I'm looking to going back to the days of slipping a smaller diameter head through the ribs almost unnoticed.

5,014 Posts
I'm going back to fixed heads. Most likely Slick Tricks. The reason being is I want to pass through the animal with as little "shock" as possible. Big mechanicals do a nice job but they sometimes get the deer going like a thoroughbred. horse. I'm looking to going back to the days of slipping a smaller diameter head through the ribs almost unnoticed.
This has some truth to it. I have slipped a broadhead through deer. They hardly acted like they noticed it even went back to feeding with blood pouring from them. But break a rib and they bail.

I have shot Deer with big expandables where they ran so hard when they crashed. They broke legs snapped in two broke. They just didn't run very far. I have noticed using big expendables 2 3/4" + cut. When they die it's like you flipped a light switch. They go from running to dead no lingering stumbling around bedding getting up. Or even walking for that matter. But it has a lot to do with shot placement.

2,161 Posts
Everyone has their favorite. So many it is confusing..And,,every year there have to be NEW ones...Slicks, Quads, seem to be reliable...I used slicks for quite awhile...But went to Magnus for their guarantee ,,ease of sharpening,,reuse,and Max Damage they produce...Guess you have to experiment with a couple in your personal set up..Gets Pricey tho....

· Registered
522 Posts
I use the old style 150 gr bear ss razors with changeable bleeder blades. I was using them way back in the day and never had any issues with them. When it seemed like everyone thought they needed sometime "better", folks were giving me theirs right and left. I have about 60+ or so and most have never been shot. So I’m good to go! :)
I have some of these from my vertical bow days.
Can they be used with crossbow? Thanks

· Registered
4,033 Posts
The real difference is the diameter of the ferrule. One's that specifically say crossbow are a bigger diameter. You have to look really hard to notice. I don't pay attention to it.

· Registered
522 Posts
The real difference is the diameter of the ferrule. One's that specifically say crossbow are a bigger diameter. You have to look really hard to notice. I don't pay attention to it.
So I’ll find it written on the ferrule..if it’s crossbow? I’ll get out my magnifying glass and look. The broadheads are 25-30 yrs old..from when my Dad took me to New Mexico Elk hunting.

· Registered
E Tennessee
709 Posts
That's what I'm saying, those are what I'm using. I shoot an excal mocro 335 and they work great for me. I just make sure they, or any broadhead, spins true on the shaft just like I always done with my vertical set up. They fly and perform well with my crossbow. Faster crossbows could present issues I suppose but that's not a concern with me at this point.
I

· Registered
18,889 Posts
I have shot a lot of deer in the last 50+ years using both fixed and mechanicals and have them walk away like they had no idea they were shot and others that took off on a death run using both types. I decided that mechanicals were more to my liking years ago and now 9 out of 10 shots on any animal will be with a mechanical and the 10th will be with a fixed head cause I do use them occasionally just for the heck of it. If I were going to hunt large bears or larger animals I would probably use fixed heads only though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts