Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
For years I waffled back and forth over two fixed blade models before finally settling on "Tooth of the Arrow" heads.
I have also shot a lot of VPA heads that are REALLY heavy. (175 grain and up).

I have settled on the 150 grain TOTA solid for BIG STUFF. Heavy Game requires a good stout head. And I ain't talking Whitetails.
Big Hogs, Nilgai, Elk and similar sized critters.
The problem most find in shooting fixed is they DO NOT tune their arrows!!!

Whitetails? Mechanicals all day long. Deer are NOT difficult to put down with the proper shot placement.

Reactions: Ironminer

Registered
So I鈥檒l find it written on the ferrule..if it鈥檚 crossbow? I鈥檒l get out my magnifying glass and look. The broadheads are 25-30 yrs old..from when my Dad took me to New Mexico Elk hunting.
I never said anything is written. Where did you get that?

Registered
I used to hunt a open woods on the north end of a lake. That was spot where the woods faded to a cattail wetlands that about 3/4 mile long border on the north end of this lake, then from the open water to where the woods and cattails met was about 100 to over 300 yards in spots.

This was real grocery store! Plus 25 years ago where multiple tags were plentiful, and at $225.00 for out of state wasn't bad. But the first year I hunted this big private tract, I learned real quick, my best trails with multiple crossings and heaviest traffic were narrowed down deeper and closer to this wetland bottom! This was so thick and mucky, that you had to travel on root balls or go to your knees maybe hips im water!

Liking the heavier traffic, I learned quick, nothing but quality shots, and well placed, with bigger cut was very important if you didn't want to spend hours, working through these heavy cattails and in the blind as they were over 8 foot tall maybe 10 foot high. I know there were times I would get so wound around in this setting, that my buddy would have to stay at dry ground and keep yelling back at me to get my directions to make an easy exit. Plus the recover even just 100 yards in this stuff was a chore, even at the age I was and shape back then.

I relied then for many years on 1 3/8" cut spitfires, and would have welcomed those larger cut heads we have today. So I understand why some turn to them, even some because of health concerns and and a need to limit recovery for their own health reasons. So even with my lover of the Tricks, I can see times I would change, like anything in real hunting, the conditions, your age, surroundings, ones success is understanding that no one setup, or situations is best suited to any one setup. The ability to adapt, improvise and understand what changes one needs to stay the most efficient in all situations is what comes with years of paying attention to details, this makes all heads priceless for different reasons!

For me today, my environments are much more user friendly and open the older I get, and make my use of the fixed blades, more favorable in most situations I hunt in today! But make no mistake, I fully understand why many choose different styles and have different needs!

Registered
I used to use 150 gr Boltcutters but now use 100 gr Carbon Express XT4 heads.

My friend who has a blood trailing dog claims 40% of his tracks are from mechanical broadhead failure.
Carbon Express XT4. Blast from the past. Why?

Registered
I love Magnus Ser-Razors out of my vertical bow. I've had great success with Swackers too. QAD exodus fly incredibly well and are about indestructible, but I wasn't impressed with the holes or blood trails they left. Ser-Razors, especially once hand sharpened, have been hard to beat.

Registered
They shoot and kill good. The better question is why not?!?
Wasn't being negative. I know years back when they first came out, they were called the "poor man's Silver Flane" because they were good. I too have quite a few heads from years ago. Was just curious how you came about using them.

Registered
Wasn't being negative. I know years back when they first came out, they were called the "poor man's Silver Flane" because they were good. I too have quite a few heads from years ago. Was just curious how you came about using them.
I don鈥檛 remember exactly how I discovered them, but it was when I got soured with lack of blood trails using Excalibur Boltcutters. The XT4 shoot better and have been exponentially better on deer.

I鈥榲e thought about switching to a mechanical head, but between my buddy that loses or almost loses deer every year and the opinion of my buddy with the tracking dog, I keep deciding to stick with a known quantity broadhead.

Registered
I'm also a QAD Exodus fan they shoot great and are extremely sharp and are tougher than most fixed blade heads. I used to use slick tricks but the Exodus broadhead was stronger and penetrated deeper when I was testing them even though I had killed quite a few deer with Slick Tricks I made the switch to the QAD Exodus and I've killed and recovered deer that I've shot with them.

Registered
I'm also a QAD Exodus fan they shoot great and are extremely sharp and are tougher than most fixed blade heads. I used to use slick tricks but the Exodus broadhead was stronger and penetrated deeper when I was testing them even though I had killed quite a few deer with Slick Tricks I made the switch to the QAD Exodus and I've killed and recovered deer that I've shot with them.
. X2 QAD

Registered
Who uses them and why? I'm thinking this next season I may use them with my mag 340. It's a lot slower than my invader 400 , which imo helps with fixed heads flying the same or really close to fp. I have had excellent results with mechs but always had a lil doubt in the back of my mind. I may change just for the certainty that they have.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
TOTA 125 vented shoot very well out of my Mag340. Simple and hit hard.

Registered
viper tricks, most reliable and accurate option from 325 fps to over 430 fps. Nothing to fail, or transition, I never had anything shoot more accurate, be more reliable, the shoot to the exact same POI as my field points, and are the most durable option that checks all these characteristics that I have found in over 45 years using archery equipment!

Oh ya, and they never open prematurely, as they are always open and ready to do what they are intended to do!

Can鈥檛 beat the Tricks for durability and accuracy

Registered
Can鈥檛 beat the Tricks for durability and accuracy
Y鈥檃ll need to look at Dead X Bowhunting Big Game 2 fixed heads. They are massive and group great. They will be coming out with a 200 grain head this spring or summer. I have been using the BG2 250 grain and it鈥檚 Devastating on deer. Overkill, maybe? But why not, quick kill easy recovery.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts