Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have experimented with multiple single bevel heads with multiple high spin rate fletchings. My personal results vary between different heads with same fletched arrow. That being said the design of most fixed heads will create some planing. Some more than others. I have my favorite combination based upon accuracy to 50 yards, POI consistency, durability of fletching, etc.

Anyone else have experience with this type of setup? What is your arrows FPS?

Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Cannot say that I do. I shoot plenty of single bevel heads but I dont go past 1 degree offset.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannot say that I do. I shoot plenty of single bevel heads but I dont go past 1 degree offset.
Examples of the fletching; NAP Hellfire, NAP Quickspin, Firenock AVII and AVIII. These are attached straight or 1° of offset and claim increased spin rate over typical fletching. I cannot prove that, but arrows fly well in windy conditions and some of them help open wound channel on pass thru shots. Those are stiffer and more resilient than the others. My FPS is around 365, depending on which arrows I'm shooting. I'm thinking an increase in arrow speed would change my results. I have crossbow fever and if purchased the FPS would increase. Trying to cover my bases. Thanks for commenting.

Reactions: Lever Action

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I see. I have used the NAP quickspins, back when they were first offered.
I do not look for high rate of turn for my hunting arrows. I like to see about 1 full turn every 10 yards.
Just the opposite, when I was shooting 3D

Reactions: Generator

·
Vendor
1,614 Posts
Examples of the fletching; NAP Hellfire, NAP Quickspin, Firenock AVII and AVIII. These are attached straight or 1° of offset and claim increased spin rate over typical fletching. I cannot prove that, but arrows fly well in windy conditions and some of them help open wound channel on pass thru shots. Those are stiffer and more resilient than the others. My FPS is around 365, depending on which arrows I'm shooting. I'm thinking an increase in arrow speed would change my results. I have crossbow fever and if purchased the FPS would increase. Trying to cover my bases. Thanks for commenting.
All of the vanes you mentioned perform better straight

Firenock vanes can handle the offset better than NAP vanes but I would suggest always fletch any of these vanes straight

I mentioned recently in another thread that there is a slight gyro effect when an arrow spins,

The more the arrow spins the more gyro stability you get

Waaaaaay on subject I have had a thought

What if you could make a barrel that had riflings in it. then have a plastic encase the arrow that falls away after the arrow leaves the barrel simular to a sabot.

If this could be done would the arrow spin fast enough that it no longer needed fletchings

It would have to be done with an airgun capable of shooting arrows

Also because the airgun pushes the point not the rear of the arrow there would be zero paradox

Now guys don't beat me up, I'm not advocating airguns I'm merely having a hmmmm what if moment

Reactions: Generator

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any thoughts of why the increased gyro effect would/could negatively impact the arrows flight? I can think of multiple positive influences on a high rpm arrow.

TN, I agree that the named fletchings being attached straight on the arrows perform well. Maybe just me, the described arrow setup seems quieter as well.

Thanks LA and TN for your feedback!

·
Vendor
1,614 Posts
All of the vanes you mentioned perform better straight

Firenock vanes can handle the offset better than NAP vanes but I would suggest always fletch any of these vanes straight

I mentioned recently in another thread that there is a slight gyro effect when an arrow spins,

The more the arrow spins the more gyro stability you get

Waaaaaay on subject I have had a thought

What if you could make a barrel that had riflings in it. then have a plastic encase the arrow that falls away after the arrow leaves the barrel simular to a sabot.

If this could be done would the arrow spin fast enough that it no longer needed fletchings

It would have to be done with an airgun capable of shooting arrows

Also because the airgun pushes the point not the rear of the arrow there would be zero paradox
I see. I have used the NAP quickspins, back when they were first offered.
I do not look for high rate of turn for my hunting arrows. I like to see about 1 full turn every 10 yards.
Just the opposite, when I was shooting 3D
Why do you feel slower is better

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My only experience with a single bevel broadhead was that it was very dull. So I never tried them again. Is that the case with most of them?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My only experience with a single bevel broadhead was that it was very dull. So I never tried them again. Is that the case with most of them?
My experience is 50/50. Those that are not razor sharp, I sharpen after practice and prepare for hunting. A few strokes with a good pair of stones and they are ready to go meat seaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts