Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an older darton fireforce 165# crossbow. Can anyone tell me what size bolts are recommended and also if half moon or flat nocks are required.

·
1,222 Posts
I shoot 19" to 22" arrows thru mine. VERY accurate crossbow, as most modern bows are. Do not shoot more than one arrow at a given bullseye..! It can get expensive buying new arrows from one arrow running into the backside of another..!

Not to be a wise guy, but "bolts" won't work very well in a modern crossbow. Bolts were a very different beast and made for the crossbows of the Medieval times.

I always use the moon nock. Do NOT use the Easton nocks with the groove at the base of the nock. They WILL break, sooner or later. I know they are made in orange plastic, I think they also made them in green.

Mike

P.s. - A friend of mine has a 40 Willys pickup, blown 392, fun car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Definitely crescent or capture nock. I had a partial dry fire on the new Rebel not following recommendations and used a flat nock. BIG NO NO!!!

·
473 Posts
bigship said:
Definitely crescent or capture nock. I had a partial dry fire on the new Rebel not following recommendations and used a flat nock. BIG NO NO!!!
well if its adjusted right ( string height} u should b able to shoot either moons or flats
i shot both in mine and my lightning liked alluminums xx75 heavy with 18% foc
only problem was finding my arrow after it zipped thru the deer

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree! I handed back that bow to Darton for additional reasons. They gave me a new bow under warranty. My keeper Rebel is a whole new ballgame. Totally better shooting and the front end is dialed in too. BUT I'm not going back to flat nocks. A little gun shy I guess. I'm actually shooting Parker nocks now. The Rebel really likes these. Now it's time to put a little meat in the freezer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
1,222 Posts
Just think of the "moon". or crescent or whatever you like to call them a safety item. MUCH more difficult for the string to make it to the top (or over !) of the arrow.

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
According to the technical manual with the crossbow, and available on the Darton Archery sight, Knocks are to be cressentt or halfmoon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts