Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chroned my Phoenix using FF factory string and the factory Flemish string.
Using the 405 gr stock Beman arrow, the FF sting chroned at 275 fps.
The Flemish string chroned at 288
I tried to brace them both at same.The Flemish string did have one of my 4" serving, though.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clarification: That's a comparison between the EXCEL factory string and the Flemish Fast Flight factory string.
They felt the same UL, the FFF may have seemed a bit louder but that is rather subjective since I have no way of measuring same.

·
1,426 Posts
Cossack : does that 13 fps make a useable difference in performance ... trajectory, ... what difference does it make...? I ask cause I want to know, if it is different and better then I may have to get one for the next string I use on my terminator HP..
I was wondering cause sometimes that is the difference between diffferent bows and I wondered if it makes a difference in performance... or useable performance... measurable in terms of practical useability if that is a word.
dk

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shot a 150 lb Terminator last year and the 12-15 fps did make a difference in trajectory. Not a great deal but enough so that 30 yard shots were more sure. But Flemish stings aren't an option on compounds so I made a 26 strand endless loop string out of D75 thin. That strand count is less than I'd recommend for a 175 bow, however.

I'm thinking that if your bow is on the slow side (less than 300 fps) a 5-6% increase in speed matters; esp if it's so easy to do. (If your bow is a recurve).

Now if I were shooting the Cyclone at 355 fps, then 10-15 fps would be no big thing as trajectory is rather flat (6" between 25 and 40 yards).

·
51 Posts
Comparison

I had a review sometime ago of the Flemish compared to the Excel on the Equinox.
(http://www.crossbow-review.com/ReviewPages/ExcaliburFlemish string.htm )

Actually the sound footprint changes a bit but the phonometer shows a decrease in output of some -2 DB (from 93-94 with Excel to 91.5-92 with Flemish) It isw something our ears could not tell.

worth or not.... well assumed the Flemish is $5 more than the Excel and on average you get over 10 FPS to me is absolutely worth.
The Flemish is also much better looking ...

Mirko.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I've done quite a bit of experimenting w/ Excal's strings and various arrow weights looking for that "magic combination".

The best string I've tried has been a "Boo" Flemish Excel w/ served cat whiskers. I'm not savvy on stand counts or bundles, ect. but know you guys that make your own or "buyers" like me ought to try them. They only cost me 8 fps from FFF and are alot quieter, more of a "thud" than a "twang". Excellent serving life to boot. I'm sure he'll share the process w/ you string builders, as I've seen it posted before.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not thanks, the flemish strings will give you 10 to 15 FPS more speed...but are less forgiving in a dry fire situation. Head in sand...wouldn't even consider a flemish string for my Vortex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts