Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the color of fletching play any part in why you choose what arrows that you use?

For me, yes it does! I like the Day Orange because I have a hard time finding my arrows sometimes and the day orange is easier for me to see in the green vegetation.

·
41 Posts
I purchased an excal phoenix this year with the right stuff package. The vanes on the arrows were dark colors. I then bought another half dozen from BHSS and they came in 3 different colors(white,orange and yellow). the dark color ones i will use for target shooting but am saving the bright ones for hunting. Actually NYS x-bows are illegal but that may change this year if the bill passes and hopefully I can try them out in our general season.

·
1,223 Posts
As Urban L. notes....no.

Though it never really did, I just yesterday, bought all the goodies to do my own fletching.
One thing I did see right off, in the 2" fletches (most brands at the Bass Pro Shop), they all seem to be bright! My first purchase was orange and white...don't know yet what will be the cock fletch! Probably switch back and forth.

But since I don't hunt anything but foam, bright is only a help in watching the arrow flight.

Mike

·
242 Posts
I also like the bright orange. It seems to almost glow in low light and usually makes it easier to find in vegetation as well as in the snow.

·
211 Posts
I build all my arrows from bare shafts so color is whatever I choose, I've shot feathers for over 20 years and prefer them over plastic, I tend to use bright colors also, usually yellow, yellow is a natural fall color and sticks out very well on the ground when I'm looking for the arrow, they also look cool on black carbon shafts... :D

the feathers on my crossbow arrows are all one color

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I too build my own. Prefer bright colors like flo orange and green to enhance viability. I spray the last 7" of my arrows with white lacquer, then a 2" overspray on the leading edge of the lacquer to match the 2" Blasers behind it. Makes for a attractive arrow, which is easier to see in flight, without adding weight to the rear of the arrow; as lighted nocks do.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Well lets see some pictures.:D

Cossack said:
I too build my own. Prefer bright colors like flo orange and green to enhance viability. I spray the last 7" of my arrows with white lacquer, then a 2" overspray on the leading edge of the lacquer to match the 2" Blasers behind it. Makes for a attractive arrow, which is easier to see in flight, without adding weight to the rear of the arrow; as lighted nocks do.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike said:
Cossack wrote -

WHAT...?
Boy am I out of the loop! I didn't realize we were in a beauty contest with this stuff!?

Mike
:D Your in shock? I didn't realize I was the only one not assembling my own arrows!

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Urban Legend

"Well lets see some pictures"

Talk me through it and I'll give it a try. My Cyclone is on it's way so I'll need to show that off too.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cossack said:
"Well lets see some pictures"

Talk me through it and I'll give it a try. My Cyclone is on it's way so I'll need to show that off too.
Since I'm on here right now, I'll help you to post pictures on here.

If your already typing (open) the reply box and want to add a photo, look below at the next thing down that says ADDITIONAL OPTIONS (green header). Then, attach files box (second choice down in that box). Click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. It will open another screen with upload from your computer. Click BROWSE and find your picture you want to load and click open. It should fill in the address or name of your file in the box. Then click UPLOAD.
NOTE: Your picture file you want to upload should be in My Pictures or My Documents. For Vista, it should be PICTURES. You need to know where the picture is stored on the computer to make it easier to find quickly.
To check to see if it's the picture you wanted to load, click Preview Post to view the picture.
I hope this helps. Just ask if you have trouble, and someone will gladly assist. We all LOVE pictures! They tell the story best.

·
1,254 Posts
I always use bright colored fletches...I've used them on my bows and xbows...just so i can find them when,i have pass threws or misses...Thunderbolt:D

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Fletch color

I build most of my arrows and bright colors are the norm.I really like the 2 inch Blazers.
Some times I will change out several arrows ,just because I see a color combo I like.

·
11,546 Posts
Looks like there is a trend towards

2" Blazers, huh? I wonder why :)

Since I carry only 3 arrows on my stand hunts and they are mounted on the bow, plus the fact that they are 2" Blazers, I normally use either orange or flouresecent orange to help locate arrows after the shot. I'm really not concerned about deer seeing them. I do not decorate my arrows and consider them a functional tool. If I lose a vane it's easy to re-fletch.

Attachments

·
665 Posts
you guy's and gal's are going to laugh but I have always Used Hot Pink and white or yellow

You can see them baby's fly:D

·
1,223 Posts
I just bought a big hand full of the vanes like the green one's pictured above in Cossack's pictures.
About the same square inches as the Blazers...a little longer in length...a little shorter in height.

Very much the same flight path and aiming point vs. target hit point.
A little different and they are a little stiffer from the shaft out to the end of the vane.

White and black (for the cock vane).

Should be on the front porch tonight!

Mike

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
So let's see 'em Mike.....

Mine hit the same spot too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts