Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Just purchased 2 dozen Spynal Tapp arrows. Shot them for the first time tonight and lost 4 cock vanes. They are the 3" Vmax and have a lot of helix to them. Thought they may be contacting rest but don't see how. All of them fell of and lay by the target at 50yards. Anyone ever have problems like this? Hard to trust them in a hunting situation. What am I missing? Any help appreciated. No evidence of contact on the vane. They look new but just fell off.

Bob

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Help. Just purchased 2 dozen Spynal Tapp arrows. Shot them for the first time tonight and lost 4 cock vanes. They are the 3" Vmax and have a lot of helix to them. Thought they may be contacting rest but don't see how. All of them fell of and lay by the target at 50yards. Anyone ever have problems like this? Hard to trust them in a hunting situation. What am I missing? Any help appreciated. No evidence of contact on the vane. They look new but just fell off.

Bob
Bob,
I don't mean to sound callous but Ravin arrows have 2" Blazer vanes with a slight 1% offset for a reason. 3" vanes fletched with a lot of helical could definitely interfere with the rest.
I hate to say it but I'd recommend you try reflecting with 2" Blazers with a slight RH offset and try again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
I don't mean to sound callous but Ravin arrows have 2" Blazer vanes with a slight 1% offset for a reason. 3" vanes fletched with a lot of helical could definitely interfere with the rest.
I hate to say it but I'd recommend you try reflecting with 2" Blazers with a slight RH offset and try again.
Bought them from South Shore Archery like this. They never even asked me what fletching; just color that I wanted. They knew it was for my R10.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Bought them from South Shore Archery like this. They never even asked me what fletching; just color that I wanted. They knew it was for my R10.
You might try rotating your nocks. This will help but unfortunately, it will be more critical that rotation be perfect. SSA should have known better.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree with Bigbird .Those wont work on a Ravin. If it tore the fletch off four of them check your rest. It may be damaged.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,100 Posts
Doesn't seem to me they would fletch 3" and helical unless they were requested to.
Vanes falling off AT THE TARGET says bad glue otherwise seems more likely they would come off nearer the bow after contacting the rest. Were the shots accurate? If the shots hit where you aimed, could be bad glue, if they didn't group, could be contact interference at the rest.
In any case, have you contacted the vendor about the problem?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I am with big bird.
Use 2” blazer vanes and slight offset.
You’re good to go.

PS
Don’t let glue freeze.
If you do, you are in for a surprise.
After being froze, if you use the glue you’ll think all is good. But what you’ll find out is the glue after drying is too brittle hence won’t hold vanes on properly.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
I am shooting the Blood Sport 20" Hunters from my R20 and they have the 3" RH vanes on them and shoot as good as my stock Ravin arrows do. I have not had any problems shooting them at all.
Sounds to me like a glue problem.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am shooting the Blood Sport 20" Hunters from my R20 and they have the 3" RH vanes on them and shoot as good as my stock Ravin arrows do. I have not had any problems shooting them at all.
Sounds to me like a glue problem.
The lot of helical is where the problem is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will contact SSA tomorrow am and see what they have to say. The shots were accurate and the fletching is laying at the target. I am almost thinking a glue issue.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,100 Posts
The lot of helical is where the problem is.
I wonder how the vanes made it to target then? If the helical was making enough contact with the Ravin arrow rest to damage the vane, seems like the vane would be torn but still partially attached at the target, where the OP says they fell off whole AT 50 YARDS, and NO EVIDENCE OF CONTACT ON THE VANE. I vote glue; seen it before, it happens.
Robert Oakes, just curious, what is the cock vane color?

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
527 Posts
I also agree with Bigbird, and the others, that the helical vanes will not work on a Ravin. An indicator that they are rotating into the rest is that it was only the cock vanes that came off ( i. e the same vanes each time). I would guess that there is a problem with the rotation. I have been shooting SSA arrows for three years now and have worn out several dozen and never had one fail. Every time I buy Arrows (and I buy a dozen at a time) I have to specify offset, type of vanes, right or left offset, type of inserts...the works. I would talk directly to Jerry Ratliff. He makes world class match arrows so something is not right. I really would think about the helical twist and the offset as the culprit. When I first bought a set, Jerry told me Helical will not work on Ravins and will interfere with the rest. I shoot Bohner Blazer 2.5" with 1 degree offset right, 20" Spynal Tapps, and have had amazing success with them. I shoot them out of both my R10, and R20.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I wonder how the vanes made it to target then? If the helical was making enough contact with the Ravin arrow rest to damage the vane, seems like the vane would be torn but still partially attached at the target, where the OP says they fell off whole AT 50 YARDS, and NO EVIDENCE OF CONTACT ON THE VANE. I vote glue; seen it before, it happens.
After more thought, I must agree with Jack Pine.
Typically, if you have rest interference, the cock vane will be laying on the ground within 20 or so feet from the crossbow. If the cock vane is dropping off at the target, I'd bet it's glue related. Some color vanes just react differently to glues and it can be very unpredictable and frustrating.
However, with that being said, it's to the Ravin owner's advantage to specify a vane that is not only short but also has minimal offset. This is because you don't want nock rotation to be so critical, that the slightest deviation could cause you to wound an animal.
I'm sure SSA would not specify a vane for a Ravin arrow that they didn't know would work.
I'm also sure they will ask you to send the arrows back and they'll correct the problem as promptly as they can.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cock vane is white. What is your reason for asking?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After more thought, I must agree with Jack Pine.
Typically, if you have rest interference, the cock vane will be laying on the ground within 20 or so feet from the crossbow. If the cock vane is dropping off at the target, I'd bet it's glue related. Some color vanes just react differently to glues and it can be very unpredictable and frustrating.
However, with that being said, it's to the Ravin owner's advantage to specify a vane that is not only short but also has minimal offset. This is because you don't want nock rotation to be so critical, that the slightest deviation could cause you to wound an animal.
I'm sure SSA would not specify a vane for a Ravin arrow that they didn't know would work.
I'm also sure they will ask you to send the arrows back and they'll correct the problem as promptly as they can.
I hope you are correct; that they will rectify the situation. I ordered them over the phone with them. I am old school and still like to talk with people. LOL. He asked me vane color and we discussed length. Never did I dream that they would use anything other than a Blazer 2" vane. Live and learn I guess.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,100 Posts
The cock vane is white. What is your reason for asking?
At one time in the past I had trouble getting purple vanes of a certain brand to stick, but no trouble at all with the other colors of the same brand I was using. Just playing a longshot that yours might be the same. Big bird was correct when he said glue can react badly to some colors. I don't know why, but had it happen, and no amount of extra cleaning the base helped, so I can only surmise a different chemical composition from the different color was the root cause of it. Not a scientific proven fact, just the conclusions I arrived at.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
At one time in the past I had trouble getting purple vanes of a certain brand to stick, but no trouble at all with the other colors of the same brand I was using. Just playing a longshot that yours might be the same. Big bird was correct when he said glue can react badly to some colors. I don't know why, but had it happen, and no amount of extra cleaning the base helped, so I can only surmise a different chemical composition from the different color was the root cause of it. Not a scientific proven fact, just the conclusions I arrived at.
Yep,
Had it happen to me as well with 2" Quik-Spins about 5 years ago. Dang orange and green vanes were a PIA to stick and they would literally self-destruct sometimes. That's exactly why I only use a white cock vane with black hen vanes to this day. I'm a believer in 2" QSs because I can use a straight Blitz clamp and set it for 0 degrees offset. Just glue them right down the middle of the shaft - nice and simple for this old fart. However, they seat best on the shaft if you use a dremel tool to score the underside of the front clamp with an arched groove for the vane tip protrusion.
But like everything else, you have to find a glue that works well for your specific vane type. BTW, my experience has revealed QSs stick really well with Permatex super glue. You can get a 3 pack for like $1.99 at Walmart. Just 1 tube will do dozens of arrows so it's tough to beat the price.
They also shoot pretty darn good as per this recent 60 yard 3 consecutive same arrow group.

Attachments

·
Crossbow Nut
3,100 Posts
Sent back to SSA and they are going to refletch with Blazer vanes. Said they have had a few issues with the white VMax vanes. Possibly not primed correctly when done. Either way, they are redoing them for me.
Good to hear, I was sure they would.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Bob
I had the same issue with several in a dozen I purchased also. Vanes just came off in mid air and did not contact anything. I called Jerry and he sent me replacement vanes, so I removed all the vanes and refletched them with Fletch tite and they have been fine for many, many shots. It has been my experience that Fletch tite is much more durable than super glues.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts