Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some insight as to what they are doing on their property in regards to food plots. We have a 55 acre parcel that has woods and fields along with a pond and stream. We are bordered by two bigger parcels and one of them does alot of food plots supported by the game commission. We would like to plant some food plots towards the center of property to try and keep deer on our parcel as much as possible. We have the water, woods, fields and cover. So does anybody have any suggestions or maybe tell me what you are doing. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hunt a 190 acre piece right behind my house 100 of it is corn field and the other 90 or so is swamp ! Depending on the acorn crop in my area will have a effected on a food plot ! The last couple years when they cut the corner the first or second week in Sept. I buy some biologic seed from Walmart about 10lbs. of seed and plant about a 50 yd. x 75 yd. plot and it comes up green and stays green all winter ! The first year I did plant a plot I shot 4 deer out of it 2 rifle and 2 muzzy ! Last year(the second year) I saw a Bobcat and I shot and killed a coyote ! saw a few printers in it , but never saw a deer in it ! That year we had a heavy acorn crop ! The year I shot 4 we had a very small acorn crop ! But they can be very effective !

·
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply CXB i'm going to check this out further. Sort of leaning towards Imperial Whitetail there are a few great articles about food plots in NRA's American Hunter this past issue good reading and very informative. How about anyone else what are you doing, what works and what doesn't?

·
64 Posts
Austrian Winter Peas

is something I tried last fall. We had a dry early fall, but I was still able to get some planted. It came up good and really grew. The deer ate it to the ground and it still kept on growing. I also had a plot of Imperial Whitetail Clover planted near by and the deer were in the peas as much as they were in the clover. I was really impressed with the peas.

I have been planting Imperial Whitetail clover since '99 and still think it is the best. I usually get about 3 years out of a patch with a little maintance.

I think I will now always have a patch of the peas.:)

·
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Foghorn,
Thanks for the reply the Austarlian Winter Peas sound interesting.Where did you get them and how were they planted? Also i have heard some people are putting in beets any thoughts here.
Thanks again,
pa crossbow

·
64 Posts
Austrian Winter Peas

I got them at my local seed dealer. Don't think they are hard to get. check with your local Farm Service dealer. They are reasonably priced also.

I just broke up the ground with my disk and then broadcast with a hand-held seeder and then lightly disked over the seeds to just cover them with soil.

I never heard of any one planting beets, but don't know why it might not work. Deer would probably just eat the tops.

I heard that turnips were good and I tried them one year and can't say that I could tell that the deer ever ate any of it at all.

Good Luck!:confused:

·
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Foghorn will keep you updated as to my progress and success.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Go to the QDM site and read some of their tips.
We just put in some seeds last week. First had the soil analyzed. Fertilized it. Them sprayed it with weed killer. Turned it over and let sit a few days. Planted a row 20 yds X 200 yds of sunflowers for birds. Mixed in Cowpeas to grow up the stalks. Planted another 1/2 acre in Southern States wildlife mix. We are going in with clover in the next 1/2 acre and waiting a few weeks to plant more peas and some corn to stagger the times so it all doesn't die out at once. This fall we'll go with the cold weather crops. We planted about 3.5 acres of a 6 acre crop field. We're letting a strip grow natural across the front by a logging road to keep wandering eyes out. And we're going to plant 150 yds of a dead end road. The remaining area we're slowly going to plant clover in it section by section.

Here's a map and what we're doing.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
pa crossbow said:
Can anyone give me some insight as to what they are doing on their property in regards to food plots. We have a 55 acre parcel that has woods and fields along with a pond and stream. We are bordered by two bigger parcels and one of them does alot of food plots supported by the game commission. We would like to plant some food plots towards the center of property to try and keep deer on our parcel as much as possible. We have the water, woods, fields and cover. So does anybody have any suggestions or maybe tell me what you are doing. Thanks!
In the event that you haven't already found this site you need to check it out:
http://www.qdma.com
http://www.qdmaforums.com/

Here is what we are doing on a new property this year:
http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=15751

·
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info

Buckeye - Thanks for the links and info on what your doing. Big Bird also told me about the site but I haven't had time to check it out.I will post also the results of this years plantings as it progresses. Thanks again!

===================================================

1 - 10 of 10 Posts