Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sort of put off because I was unable to get the new Vengeance 2 this year to hunt with so I bought a new compound instead, a Diamond SB2.
This little buck walked right under my treestand this morning, hadn't seen any big bucks on the cameras all week so I decided to take this one with the stunted horns, he looks like he's three and a half years old by his teeth. He was a whopping nine yards away, he ran 86 yards before falling over dead.

He was quartering away so put the arrow in a little high and little far back, it came out the offside armpit, it missed his heart but hit something important, he lost an incredible amount of blood in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Nice, what broad head did that?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I use Montec G5 carbon steel broadheads, sort of a traditional broadhead.
I don't know for certain but I believe what could have happened is the broadhead cut the main artery coming out of his heart, when he fell the exit hole closed and all the blood pumped out the entrance hole up top. He laid there for a couple of minutes pumping blood out even though his head was down and looked completely dead.
The carbon steel bladed are susceptible to rusting I've heard but it's never happened to mine, there much sharper than stainless steel blades and much easier to resharpen. They fly just fine even at crossbow speeds, I've used them twice with my Ghost 350. For being a relatively small broadhead they cut very large holes in animals, not sure why.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts