Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I shoot GT LII's w/ brass inserts and 100 gr points, Slick Tricks for bheads. I've had better results w/ 4" vanes w/ the bheads, but only compared them to 5" and 2" Blazers. I got great groups w/ Blazers but off some from poi w/ field points. My tests were brief and I intend to recheck them as I've read of your results w/ them and am looking to go to them if I can work my bugs out, lol. Btw: thanks for the tip on the glue over yonder!

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
GT Lazer II's with 100 gr brass inserts, two inch Blazers, tipped with 100 gr Slick Trick mags. This combination gives me over 20% FOC, great accuracy out of my Vortex. Using 26 strand Flemish string I made, get 320 fps and superb terminal performance. Same POI as field tips.

·
1,708 Posts
I shoot Lazer 2s with brass inserts, blazers and 100 gr heads. I will be switching to 125 gr heads but if I can find a good 150 I will go to them. I go by noise, how the bow feels on the shot and last but not least accuracy(minute of deer death). Most important is how the bow feels in my hands on the shot.

·
224 Posts
Dan and Cossack,

I'm with you guys.
GT L2's 100 grain brass with slick tricks and aluminum nocks on my exomax.
I used the stock arrows that Excal shipped and bought some more because I
liked them so much. I'm using 2" vanes from vantec.

No problems but I haven't really beat 'em up.
I like the way they're flying which is what counts I guess :coolgleamA:

·
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although the Excal is a very accurate crossbow,

something I think we can all agree upon, I can't find any arrow combination that is more accurate and forgiving, shooting off hand, than 20" Easton Power Bolt shafts with stock aluminum nocks and screw-in aluminum inserts with 170 grain points in my Vortex. I attribute part of that to the heavier and stiffer arrow shaft and part to the total point/insert weight of 215 grains. This combination is scary accurate. Speed for this combination is just under 290 fps.

·
211 Posts
I shoot/hunt with beman thunderbolts which are basically easton powerbolts, I did some weight transfer by modifing the inserts, nocks and by using feathers(which I use anyway) and 125gr points, I came out with an average weight of around 435gr with a FOC of 18%

I also shoot alumin 2213's with modified inserts, nocks and feathers, but with 85gr points instead of 125's(so I can try/use my 85gr thunderheads), they come out to be an almost exact copy of the carbons number-wise

I also have a couple(one now...) test 2216's built basically the same as the carbons that came out to 445gr

I still have some arrow testing to do yet before I settle on a main setup but I'm fairly sure the carbons I have setup now are going to be it, how they shoot broadheads and which ones are going to be the deciding factor, I havent used anything in my crossbow but 125gr thunderheads and those didnt work real well, so I'm still not 100% sure of broadheads yet, slick tricks, NAP nitrons and NAP spitfires are at the top of the "test" list

·
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Multiple use

I use the Excal Vortex only for 3D tournaments using the heavy 470 grain Easton Power Bolts and 170 grain heads. Although I could easily screw on a few NAP Stainless 170 grain Spifires and hunt with it. It's just a little too wide for my liking for hunting but for 3D shooting it's unbeatable for me.

The Ten Point Phantom is another bow that accuracy is fantastic using the same heavy arrow combination as above. It's set up and ready to hunt with the 170 grain NAP Spitfires.

The Stryker shoots either the above heavy arrow combination in 22" length or lighter weight GT Lazer II's with 100 grain heads equally accurate.

The Desert Stryker spits out the 22" GT Lazer II's with 100 grain points at over 350 fps and accuracy is not improved by going to the heavier Easton arrow. I don't know why but that's the way it is:)

·
3 Posts
I shot GT with 100 gr. Slick Tricks for a few years. I had to many problems with the carbon splintering in the deer. I switched over Easton Alu with 125 gr Slick Tricks or Wasp heads. Same great accuracy with my Exocet. It's quieter and I haven't had any problems with a shafts.

·
41 Posts
Since I am a first time x-bower I am sticking with the excal arrows that came in the right stuff package and 100 grain field point for target shooting. I think total weight is 367 grains. Once i am able to legally go afield then i will be using 100 grain NAP spitfires. i am hoping to get away this fall for some xbow hunting until then I will be shooting at my morrell super duper target with my phoenix.

·
224 Posts
liaf said:
Since I am a first time x-bower I am sticking with the excal arrows that came in the right stuff package and 100 grain field point for target shooting. I think total weight is 367 grains. Once i am able to legally go afield then i will be using 100 grain NAP spitfires. i am hoping to get away this fall for some xbow hunting until then I will be shooting at my morrell super duper target with my phoenix.
Moon is on to something with the FOC issues.
I shoot a lot and seem to have better accuracy with my arrows that have brass inserts on the front end. GT.

I've never had problems with them splintering. I like them better than the aluminums I got...which tend to bend up, which the carbons don't.

Best of skills to you :)

Pete

·
342 Posts
I am using Carbon Express Maxima at a total of 457gr, that is with a 150gr Magnus Snuffer. I also use the same setup with Magnus 125's and NAP Spitfire 125's, so my total arrow weight in those setups is around 432gr.

·
287 Posts
I shoot an Equinox
GT laser lII's
Shrinkfletch quickspin speedhunter
100 grn tip
358.4 grn total

I also have some G II's with custom wraps
Blazers,Brass inserts,100grn tips and tracer lighted nocks that weigh
436.0 grn

I have one arrow from the factory that weighs in at

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
saxman said:
I shoot an Equinox
GT laser lII's
100 grn tip
358.4 grn total

436.0 grn

You guys that have GT's w/ alum inserts that are curious about the advantages of increased FOC can do some cheap experimenting by trying 170 gr expandibles or field points of same weight. The 70 gr increase will be very close to a brass insert w/ 100 gr points.

·
54 Posts
Last year I used GT's II with brass inserts. They were great. I am playing with Easton XX75 2219's. Both with 100g Montec G5 heads and 2" blazers. Both shafts overall weights are the same.
The alu.'s fly great also, group nice. I will hunt with them this year. After a bit more 3-D shooting I will decide if I stick with them and 100g head or step up to 125g.
I have some tapered weights 25g.that go between the shaft and the broad head. I can change things around without buying new heads.

Gold Tip II with brass inserts, Beman Thunder Bolts and Easton 2219's all weight overall about 340g. with 2" blazers.

·
149 Posts
I like easton powerbolts, slick trick 100 gr regular, blazer vanes, Gold tip changed their arrows about a year ago, Smaller diameter and lighter. Out of a dozen I had 6 old and 6 new, All excalibur name. Could not get great groups, Finally I asked gold tip and 6 shot good six fair with brass inserts, My eastons are right around 400 gr shoot great.

Good luck, Broadheads bring out any defects that field tips dont
StanT

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am shooting what came with my package when I ordered my Vortex. The 150 grain heads fly good out to 50 yards. Should I expect more? And what in the heck does FOC mean? Please be gentle, I am a newbie to crossbows.

·
224 Posts
saxman said:
I shoot an Equinox
GT laser lII's
100 grn tip
358.4 grn total

436.0 grn

You're happy with those shrinkfletches Sax?
I'm thinking of buying a few...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts