Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly looking for a better serving bobbin and this week I tried this one. Its made by AAE and the best attribute is the teflon insert in the front that protects the serving as its being applied.

I used it a few times and it seems to almost eliminate the fuzz when serving kevlar. The only issue is its made out of plastic so I will be getting with by bud Brian to get him to make a reinforcing plate for the front!

If any of you decide to get one from lancaster make sure you take it apart and use some loctite to put the screws back in. Under pressure they will spin loose. also if you will put a bit of trident silicone on the white washers it will smooth it out and make it last a lot longer

But as for serving bobbins I think its even better than the expensive Beiter HD server

Font Machine Logo Tool Brand

·
Crossbow Nut
4,453 Posts
I am constantly looking for a better serving bobbin and this week I tried this one. Its made by AAE and the best attribute is the teflon insert in the front that protects the serving as its being applied.

I used it a few times and it seems to almost eliminate the fuzz when serving kevlar. The only issue is its made out of plastic so I will be getting with by bud Brian to get him to make a reinforcing plate for the front!

If any of you decide to get one from lancaster make sure you take it apart and use some loctite to put the screws back in. Under pressure they will spin loose. also if you will put a bit of trident silicone on the white washers it will smooth it out and make it last a lot longer

But as for serving bobbins I think its even better than the expensive Beiter HD server

View attachment 211912
Jerry, I have that same tool, but older, metal frame. Didn't know they're plastic now.
Halo center serving had to be served TIGHT and would break the aluminum bars when you serve Halo.
Household hardware Gas Nickel Cylinder Composite material

Yah, I serve em tight LOL.
This is that same tool, I still use it today after putting steel bars in it.
Wood Cylinder Gas Auto part Wood stain

A good tool now.

·
Retired
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't tried the outer limits tool because it is made to use with the drill attachment but heck I may as well bring one in. It ay be better than the aae

·
3,246 Posts
I haven't tried the outer limits tool because it is made to use with the drill attachment but heck I may as well bring one in. It ay be better than the aae
It is much better. You’ll see the 2 screws that remove for the Moto tool which you don’t need if you’re hand serving. I have yet to break them over the 4 or 5 yrs I’ve been using them. I’ve owned and or own just about every single one and unless you modify the Cavalier pro and it’s variants, the Outerlimit too is by far the best for crossbow center servings.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I agree , I have 3 of them !!
I can tighten mine up to where it will snap .036 AM .
I have a old one the same as jackpine, I cant remember the brandm but the crossbars are encased like his only using polished drill rod, thanks to Boo, thank you sir! And as Tim said, parting .036 AM is no problem!! Tension is everything!!

Reactions: Boo and burky247365

·
Registered
15 Posts

View attachment 211912
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
9,838 Posts

View attachment 211912
I bought this same tool after serving Kevlar 1 time with another tool. It definitely helped with the fuzz. Thanks for the heads up. I'll loctite those screws.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Jerry, I have that same tool, but older, metal frame.
This is that same tool, I still use it today after putting steel bars in it.
View attachment 211928
Looks great Cal, I think I have the same one.

What did you make the steel crossbars from?

·
Crossbow Nut
4,453 Posts
Looks great Cal, I think I have the same one.

What did you make the steel crossbars from?
Those are actually a couple of 1/4" bolts I got at Tractor supply or some hardware store. They have to be pretty long to have enough smooth length. I just hacksawed off the threaded part, leaving the smooth part just long enough to put a washer over and peen down so it wont come out. I seem to remember drilling the existing holes out for the bolts to go in.
Circle Font Nail Metal Fashion accessory

One bolt one way, and the next bolt the other way.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Good review. AAE has always made great archery products, so CV the serving tool is no surprise. I love their vanes too.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Cal - I’ve been thinking more about what you did by reinforcing those rods with steel, and I really like the idea.

It would be nice to make some type of bushings for the ends where the rod could spin freely in and have less resistance on the rods for the serving.

The other choice would be to slip some type of tube over those rods but the diameter might end up too large and not let the serving pull straight down into the guide. I’ll have to give it more thought.

Reactions: Jack Pine

·
Crossbow Nut
4,453 Posts
Cal - I’ve been thinking more about what you did by reinforcing those rods with steel, and I really like the idea.

It would be nice to make some type of bushings for the ends where the rod could spin freely in and have less resistance on the rods for the serving.

The other choice would be to slip some type of tube over those rods but the diameter might end up too large and not let the serving pull straight down into the guide. I’ll have to give it more thought.
Works good for me this way.👍

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
2,296 Posts

not knowing much of a sewing, but i think its resistance from rods that makes tight serving, not the screw on spool

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
not knowing much of a sewing, but i think its resistance from rods that makes tight serving, not the screw on spool
That could be, but there is a nut to adjust for more or less tension on the spool. But I’ve noticed the black “coating” from the Angle Majesty on the 2 rods the serving pulls against so that would seem to make the serving less viable.

I’d like to eliminate that.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts