Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused.My Ravin manual and Hawke scope manual literally say the opposite.If I'm hitting high do I increase or decrease the speed dial?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The speed ring on some of the scopes is an advertising gimick. If you look on the back of some of the scope speed
rings it will show various powers. Example 1, 2, 3 ,4 and 5. I was at one of my properties a few weeks ago shooting
a Barnett that had one of those scopes. My crossbow was shooting 385 feet per second using the arrow weight
combination that day. The target was set at 30 yards. To get a better view of where the arrow hit, I increased the
power which increases the magnification. At 5 power, my scope now showed 425 feet per second.

All the best.
Take care.

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bunny rabbit I'm not sure what that means-it doesnt move the crosshairs? This Hawke has fps and magnification it's a Wyvern "upgraded" package.So I should just zero at max magnification at 20 yards?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Your crosshairs will not move. If you looked at a target and turned up the magnification
(speed dial) it will bring the target closer for better visibility, the same as a rifle scope.
My crossbows are set up with rifle scopes.
All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently purchased the R20 and put the Hawke XB30 pro on it. Turning the speed dial higher for shooting high and lower for shooting low is the way to go. Unfortuately, I had to turn the speed dial all the way up to 450fps and I was still 1" high at 30 yards. I contaced Hawke about this (as my FPS is 428 in chronograph) and am waiting on a response. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
venisoneater: remove your scope and block the crossbow level. Lay a level length wise
on the picatinny rail the same direction an arrow would be, to see if the picatinny rail is level.
If the picatinny rail tilts down, this would be why you are shooting high.

When Ravin crossbows first came out, they were advertising their 100 yard shots. To get this,
the picatinny rail was tilted down at the front. Any one wishing to shoot closer ran out of vertical
scope adjustment. Ravin then came out with their Jack Plate.

That is one of the first things I check when purchasing a new crossbow. Some the picatinny rail
needed shimming. I also use the HHA Optimizer which came out before Ravin's Jack Plate.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ravin rails have a 20 MOA negative on them relative to the arrow path. If your scope rings do not compensate for that, you will be shooting high.

·
Registered
46 Posts
venisoneater: remove your scope and block the crossbow level. Lay a level length wise
on the picatinny rail the same direction an arrow would be, to see if the picatinny rail is level.
If the picatinny rail tilts down, this would be why you are shooting high.

When Ravin crossbows first came out, they were advertising their 100 yard shots. To get this,
the picatinny rail was tilted down at the front. Any one wishing to shoot closer ran out of vertical
scope adjustment. Ravin then came out with their Jack Plate.

That is one of the first things I check when purchasing a new crossbow. Some the picatinny rail
needed shimming. I also use the HHA Optimizer which came out before Ravin's Jack Plate.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
OK, i'll try to check that after this season...for now I can live with 1" high at 30yds, but I did expect it to be more precise for the money I paid.
THanks again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Set your speed dial at 430 if you have a R 20. Sight your scope in using the center crosshair. use the turrants for up down and right and left. On a Ravin scope it is 50 yds on a Hawke it may be 40. Then shoot at 20 yards. Follow the instructions in the Ravin manual to adjust if its low or high. The speed on the scope may not match exactly the speed your bow is rated at when done. Remember only use the speed dial at that point. Check it at longer yardages when done to make sure its on.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If the center of your scope is 20 on a Hawke and you sight in there and then move to 40 to set speed dial all the Ravin instructions will be backwards but that's ok follow the hawks instructions. or the Ravins backwards.

·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I'll start over I guess I thought the speed adj scopes all zero'd the same way

·
Registered
77 Posts
As per Ravin rep instructions. 20 to 50 yds. hitting high turn speed ring down. Beyond 50yds, hitting high turn speed ring up. I've sighted in two Ravins using those steps and it's worked well for me. 20 yds use windage and elavation get close. 50 yds use windage and elevation get spot on. Back to 20 yds use speed ring for exact spot. To me that's hitting a dime. Hitting high turn speed ring down, hitting low turn speed ring up. Then out beyond 50 to approx. 100 yds, hitting high turn speed ring up, hitting low turn speed ring down. Yeah I know thats wild but again it's worked . Try that if you're having problems sighting using the Ravin scopes...

·
Registered
431 Posts
As per Ravin rep instructions. 20 to 50 yds. hitting high turn speed ring down. Beyond 50yds, hitting high turn speed ring up. I've sighted in two Ravins using those steps and it's worked well for me. 20 yds use windage and elavation get close. 50 yds use windage and elevation get spot on. Back to 20 yds use speed ring for exact spot. To me that's hitting a dime. Hitting high turn speed ring down, hitting low turn speed ring up. Then out beyond 50 to approx. 100 yds, hitting high turn speed ring up, hitting low turn speed ring down. Yeah I know thats wild but again it's worked . Try that if you're having problems sighting using the Ravin scopes...
Thats exactly correct under 50 you are on one side of the scope and past 50 you are on the other side. Its based on field of view going in and out on both sides of the scope when you change speed ring. The center 50 yds never moves.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thats exactly correct under 50 you are on one side of the scope and past 50 you are on the other side. Its based on field of view going in and out on both sides of the scope when you change speed ring. The center 50 yds never moves.
I have the xb30 on my r29 works fine . I shoot fine out to 60 yes with raven bolts and 100gr. My scope ring is set at max 450. You could add a weight to your arrow .. i might switch to 125 gr. I am set maybe a little low at 20, but 30, 40 50, 60 are right on.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
While waiting for my R10, I downloaded the Ravin user manual and noticed after getting the 50 yard center crosshair zeroed, the “if high at 20 yards, turn magnification (or speed) lower".

But what if I zero the center crosshair at 50 and then move to 60 yards and the poi hits high. Common sense says I would turn the magnification up.

I assume it’s because the yardages above the center crosshair are rising (above the line of sight) versus the yardages below the center crosshair are dropping. 🙃

Reactions: BlueBolt

·
Registered
431 Posts
While waiting for my R10, I downloaded the Ravin user manual and noticed after getting the 50 yard center crosshair zeroed, the “if high at 20 yards, turn magnification (or speed) lower".

But what if I zero the center crosshair at 50 and then move to 60 yards and the poi hits high. Common sense says I would turn the magnification up.

I assume it’s because the yardages above the center crosshair are rising (above the line of sight) versus the yardages below the center crosshair are dropping. 🙃
You are correct on the 60. Its because the field of view is changing with the speed ring moving your circles and dots in towards the center or out to the outside.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts