Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Center Point Sniper 390 XT, Wicked Ridge Invader X4
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up my first crossbow a few weeks ago and while out shooting today I noticed the cocking rope was fraying...significantly in my opinion, but what do I know. At least, it was clearly visible with the naked eye.

Now, I've used to to cock my bow about 60 times now and I was surprised it showed signs of wear so quickly. I have to admit my butt puckered a bit when I thought about what would happen if it broke mid-cock (LOL). Maybe I should have waxed it right out of the box. Are you supposed to wax cocking rope?

Tomorrow I am going to pick up some 1/8" Amsteel rope from a nearby marina supply store. Another thread suggested this stuff is some great stuff to use, and its only 41 cents a foot.

BUT, am I righteously nervous about the cocking rope that came with my bow (Centerpoint Sniper 370). Can I ignore the fraying? How many cocks should a cocking rope last? What is the meaning of life? Who killed Kennedy?

Trying to ask questions before I experience a catastrophic failure, this time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuzzing up, basically

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get a picture up asap

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,652 Posts
Get whatever has Dyneema in it ! Your probably good if you got it from a marina. That's the major industry that uses Dyneema. Archery is second. Spectra is second best and then Dacron.... Either of those 3 will make you some nice cords or strings ! HMPE or UHMPE....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dyneema....yup, thats what the guy at the marina said.

picking it up tomorrow. I'll report back.

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,652 Posts
Use a silicone based wax. If it says for synthetic strings your good.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
Never done anything to mine and Ive been shooting my Sniper since 2017. I'd have to take a look cause my cocking rope might have that fuzzing too, but I wouldn't expect anything worse than that.

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,519 Posts
I'm loose'n fuzz on my top end, and seem to be gain'n on the lower end....what's go'n on!?

And the meaning of life!? Dude! Don't ya know!?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dunno, KTown, I thought that was rather clever!

Kudos!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't shoot too much recently, mine are still looking fine.
But I wouldn't mind replacing the string with something else of proper load capacity.
The Home Depot - like shops here sells different ropes per meter, advertising the maximal load.
With a SF of 50 to 100% you would be on the safe side. The cocking rope has mainly static loads to endure, unlike the string.

·
11,196 Posts
550 paracord … used it once for a cocking "rope."

Reactions: Elno Lewis

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I've never waxed a cocking rope. Had one get fuzzy like that from years of cocking. I lube my rollers from time to time and make sure I'm pulling straight in line with the rollers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I have a crank cocker arriving soon so the rope was be as much of an issue hopefully.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
That ain't a problem, use string wax if it bothers you, but I don't. On a rope cocker I wax the cocking strings same as my serving,, but I have upgraded to the Amsteel Blue strings, good as it gets! Easy to find as well the best!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts