Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And believe me, I emphasize to the kids at every opportunity that it's not a legitimate real bow like a compound is. For example, when one of my sons took his first buck with a crossbow at age 9 he made the mistake of breaking into a grin when he successfully tracked and found his buck. I immediately jumped down his throat and reminded him that it didn't really mean much since he had shot the deer with, in my words, "a stinking crossbow". Teaching moments like that are important so that they eventually begin to understand the differences between a real bow as compared to a crossbow.

I also don't permit the kids to smile for any pictures with deer that they've taken with this illegitimate weapon. Whenever they shoot a deer with the crossbow and want to call their grandpa to tell him about it I don't let them, as I again take that opportunity to remind them that it really doesn't count because of the weapon they used. Plus, it's not like cell phone minutes grow on trees.

On my son's first buck we even put a little plaque below the shoulder mount. The plaque includes his name and the date of the kill and then a super sized asterisk with an accompanying explanation to help everyone to understand that the deer didn't fall victim to a real bow such as a compound.

As best as I can tell, based on his physical maturity, it looks like my 2nd oldest son (who will be 12 in October) will be hunting with a crossbow for 2 more falls (including this one) before he's finally able to man up and use a compound. Right now I put him through a 90 minute regimen each morning of pushups, pullups, etc and continually scream at him that he needs to get stronger so that he can begin to use a real bow, but it just doesn't seem like he's making much progress. Maybe I should expand to 2 hours daily? Anyway, I've already begun to talk with him about the fact that when the day arrives where he can use a real bow he's not going to be permitted to ever again mention the hunts we went on and the deer he bagged while hunting with that high velocity crossgun. With the wisdom that you and others are sharing on this topic I'm even starting to think that maybe it would have just been better to have forgone the 3-4 falls of crossbow hunting and made him wait until he was 13 or 14 rather than have to go through this cumbersome process of memory elimination and purging.

Anyways, like you said man, a crossbow just isn't a real bow like a compound is, and believe me I'm doing everything possible to reinforce that fact with the kids I take out.

This guy calls himself a true sportsman:ack2::ack2::cuss::D

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Is this guy joking?. What an A Hole for a dad.:D

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he responded and said he is trying to teach them to use a real bow a compound

UGGGG:mad:

·
11,568 Posts
There are Idiots

and then there are REAL IDIOTS. It goes to show you how pitifully stupid some of our "fellow hunters" are. I just hope people like that get a good taste of "old age limitations" placed upon them prematurely and they have enough brain power to remember the asinine statements they made about crossBOWS. I think that would be proper payback.:D

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
It was in the xbow section and was meant as a satire. One of those things you had to be there and following the flow of the posts to get it.

It's when you get so disgusted reading the greedy and illogical responses you work and post on something to relieve frustration. The anti side can be so stupid at times. Sorry make that any time. :D

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
What other site? You guys keep secretly speaking of these other sites but where are they? I want a piece of the action too! Someone PM me these sites.

·
342 Posts
mideerslayer said:
he responded and said he is trying to teach them to use a real bow a compound

UGGGG:mad:
2 things...
one that guy is a a**h**e
2nd...crossbows were around about 2000 years before compounds.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
buckeye dan said:
What other site? You guys keep secretly speaking of these other sites but where are they? I want a piece of the action too! Someone PM me these sites.
Sure you want to do this? :D
PM sent

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Big-Bird-VA said:
It was in the xbow section and was meant as a satire. One of those things you had to be there and following the flow of the posts to get it.

It's when you get so disgusted reading the greedy and illogical responses you work and post on something to relieve frustration. The anti side can be so stupid at times. Sorry make that any time. :D
Lol, in light of the fact it was SATIRE, I find it humerous.:ack2::D:D

good one, Bird!

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
awshucks said:
Lol, in light of the fact it was SATIRE, I find it humerous.:D:D:D

good one, Bird!
I didn't write it.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Glad I read all the following posts as my hair was standing on my head! Child abuse! I was leaning for Parent abuse! I have known people who treat their kids like that. I rescued one, and that poor kid, we took him in and gave him a job and taught him how to pay bills and rent a home, manage money, etc. He was never allowed to participate in school functions and worked all day, every day, either cutting firewood for his step dad, or he had a job working at the golf course and they took all his money and called it rent. They never paid a day of rent in their lives, or worked a job. They would also make the boys play survival games. We sent him into the store one day to buy is a loaf a bread for the house and it was his first time to go to a store and purchase anything. He was 18 and slightly mentally challenged. The other boy ran away and went to work in the oil fields at 17.
It all worked because Butch and I bought the property they lived on and kicked them out, but we did buy them a travel trailer and park it in town and paid the first two months rent and said "Have a nice life". 8 years later, we sold the property, and they are back living on that land as the "care takers".
Needless to say, we really don't like each other. It's one of Butchs' younger sisters and husband. The one that was 17 got married and has two kids and has yet to ever go back home to see his mother 10 years later.

·
72 Posts
It's satire!!

Hi..

I can tell you with a 100% degree of certainty, that this post is all tongue-in-cheek. It comes from a newly created crossbow section of Michigan-Sportsman.com website forum.

If read out of context, I could see where some people could become enraged, particularly the favorably disposed nature of the members here surrounding crossbows. However; this prose was just one of hundreds posted in a thread that pitted anti-crossbow advocates against pro-crossbow advocates. Both myself and the author of this post, who I know personally, are part of the latter group.

As perhaps some of you know, the State of Michigan is moving swiftly towards full inclusion of the crossbow. A few weeks ago, the Michigan House of Representitives voted on HB 5741 H2, a bill that would allow for full inclusion of the crossbow during any season where other archery equiptment is permitted. The bill passed by a whopping 94-14 vote! It has now been referred to the Michigan Senate.

Since the passage of the bill by the House, there has been considerable, and sometimes volitile debate on the crossbow issue on the M-S Forum. Many of the threads have been closed by the moderators, including the thread that contained this absolutely hilarious literary jewel.

Wish us luck up here in Michigan so that full inclusion will become law.

Riva

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Bad

When I first read it on the other site, i was lost for words and though I had to show others this. I have since found out it was tonge -in-cheek Humor

So I'm sorry for posting this and upsetting people for what ends up being a joke

Sorry

Rich

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Not to worry.:ack2:

·
31 Posts
It was indeed a joke! I like the part about not letting the kids smile when posing with a crossbow...

somewhat related, I never understood guys who don't smile in a trophy photo... I tried it once just to see if I could pull it off and I hate the picture!

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Revival said:
It was indeed a joke! I like the part about not letting the kids smile when posing with a crossbow...

somewhat related, I never understood guys who don't smile in a trophy photo... I tried it once just to see if I could pull it off and I hate the picture!
:rolleyes: 100%. If you enjoy hunting and you enjoy shooting an animal that is a trophy in your eyes. Then please, please smile when you take pictures with that animal.

·
116 Posts
I really liked the part where he was going to increase morning calistenics (sp?) from a hour and half to two hours. That was even better than the asterisk on the plaque.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts