Crossbow Nation banner
721 - 740 of 826 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Got out of bed and went to my 5c spot. Not 5 minutes after I got settled in the stand, here comes a deer (lots of very dry and frozen leaves). Buck came in to 10 yards. Couldn’t be 100% sure it was legal at first light (getting late in the season, and both places get hunted hard in firearms season). Got a pass. Still worth getting out of bed for though. :)
I had a fun morning too. I was planning on getting things ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow but my husband said you love morning hunts more than afternoons so go on and hunt. I’m glad I listened to him.
Before there was color, as the sun was coming up, on this cloudy 60 degree morning, a doe came into the oak hammock from behind me, quietly grunting. From the other direction a yearling came towards her. Only 20 or so yards from me the little one started nursing.
I had never seen that before. About a minutes later a buck walked in about 15 yds away and followed the doe who had walked behind some bushes with the yung’n. He was so close that I didn’t dare move a muscle. All I could do was watch and hope he’d return.
I had sprayed doe pee on a bush just down wind of my ladder stand and I believe that’s what turned him around. When he stepped out from behind the bush, I had my rifle up on my shooting stick (I run the shooting stick down the inside of my snake boots to steady it) and shot him at 20 yds right behind the shoulder, broadside. He ran about 50 yards and crashed behind me. I was happy to find him because the blood trail was minimal.
Our rut is winding down here in Fl. so even though he wasn’t huge, I decided to take him.
He was a 130#, seven point. That tagged me out for the season, which was a first for me.
Our season isn’t over til mid January. So it feels strange for my season to be over so soon.
We are allowed two bucks (6 pt or bigger) and a doe on our three day doe weekend, and he was my third deer.
I’ve enjoyed every minute in the stand this year. There is so much to see, admire and still learn, even after 35 yrs of hunting. At my age I know there will come a day when I can only read, or watch tv shows about hunting and enjoying the woods, so the time I put in the stand or scouting for new sites or deer sign feels like a blessing.
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Marsha

Here is my favorite sight from this season:
Plant Sky Natural landscape Twig Tree

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Alrighty, firearms season ended 11/22 so it's back to the xbow for me until 1/15/23. I'm still setting on a buck tag and 3 doe tags so surely something is gonna get themselves shot in the next 7 weeks.
Muggy 54 degrees in central Missouri this afternoon. Saw a lot of deer from this stand last week although most were not in bow range. But who knows maybe the buck of my dreams will wander by.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Pushing 60 here in Delaware with a very light breeze from the Southeast. I’m just staying home. Tomorrow afternoon might work if the coming rain lets up before sunset.
Saturday is MD rifle opener, and I haven’t decided whether to hunt there with rifle, or DE with crossbow. Maybe both lol
Living by the state line has its advantages.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hard to make out in the pic but about 5 feet to the right of the deer is the ground blind I was going to set in this evening. Running late so I crawled up in a stand about 70 yards away. Settled in at 3:05, deer appeared at 3:10. Button head so not on my kill list anyway but it would be fun seeing him at that range.
Plant Wood Tree Natural landscape Vegetation

·
Registered
785 Posts
Norm. when I look at that pic and see the size of that deer's neck and body I think 4 1/2 or older. Maybe they just grow a lot faster where you live but that buck's neck is thick all the way to his brisket. How far off is he from where you took the pic?
If you look close at the picture you can see that his ears are pinned back and all his hair is standing up, that makes him look bigger than he really is.😉 There were 3 other bucks on the seen and they didn't want nothing to do with him. He walked down and worked a scrape and a licking branch and and hung around for 10 minutes or so and haven't saw him anymore all week. No shooting around here so I believe he'll make it through season👍

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Norm. when I look at that pic and see the size of that deer's neck and body I think 4 1/2 or older. Maybe they just grow a lot faster where you live but that buck's neck is thick all the way to his brisket. How far off is he from where you took the pic?
I didn't even think it had a neck. :)

721 - 740 of 826 Posts